The Student Room Group

EPQ deadlinesss

i am so stressed for my epq as i only have 2 week until the deadline that my supervisor set and 19 days until the actual deadline the school has set and i havent even started writing my epq yet but i have looked at some research
the main reason iv been so overwhelmed and not started is bc my title is so complicated but i cant change it as i have already handed in my proposal form
its " to what extent is computer aided drug design the future of medicine"
like im interested but what even is that at this point
what makes it worse is that our school only allows 3 months for the epq at the start of y12 althoigh im sure they have until may to mark and submit our work to edexcel so i have no idea why they are rushing us so much
i have j had a mental breakdown
but do you think its possible to finish it withing that time frame?

anyways can anyone give me tips or good examples of medicine related work
Reply 1
Hey, yes it's very possible to get it done within that timeframe as long as you convince yourself that you can do it.

I wrote pretty much all of my final EPQ dissertation within a week (because I'm a huge procrastinator). Was it stressful? Yeah... Did I get much sleep? No... But did I get it done? Yeah AND the good thing is that you have 2 weeks, not 1.

Soo tomorrow wake up nice and early and spend half a day just looking for as many relevant academic papers you can find (simply by reading the title and abstract) and save them all. If it looks even remotely related to your topic, save it.

Spend the next few days going through them all. I printed all of them out and used a highlighter whenever I saw something relevant. By the time you get through all the papers, you'll have lots of things highlighted.

At this point, you'll be relatively sure about where to go with your essay, so begin making connections between different papers and word vomiting in a Word document and just get as much as you can down. All your ideas, all the connections you've made - even if it seems messy.

And then elaborate, polish, do a bit more of your own analysis and throw in some final ideas.

Long story short: start going through all those academic papers and just process info.

The problem you have right now (which is the same problem I had) is that you don't know what you will write because you haven't done enough reading.

There will be times where you feel absolutely rubbish or that things aren't going well, but you'll eventually overcome all those hurdles. Sooooo you can either rot for the next 2 weeks and fail, or try your best and secure a high grade. 2 weeks will pass really quickly.

GL
Reply 2
And keep track of your references as you go along. You'll thank yourself later
Reply 3
Original post by shuu0007
i am so stressed for my epq as i only have 2 week until the deadline that my supervisor set and 19 days until the actual deadline the school has set and i havent even started writing my epq yet but i have looked at some research
the main reason iv been so overwhelmed and not started is bc my title is so complicated but i cant change it as i have already handed in my proposal form
its " to what extent is computer aided drug design the future of medicine"
like im interested but what even is that at this point
what makes it worse is that our school only allows 3 months for the epq at the start of y12 althoigh im sure they have until may to mark and submit our work to edexcel so i have no idea why they are rushing us so much
i have j had a mental breakdown
but do you think its possible to finish it withing that time frame?

anyways can anyone give me tips or good examples of medicine related work

Yes, that timeline is feasible. However, I’m surprised that your supervisor hasn’t checked up on you to read drafts/your plans. I had AQA though so maybe they have different rules? Is this a final deadline? If not, my school was very flexible with extensions.

Also, are you certain you cannot change it? My question changed several times, even mere days before the final draft was due. I’d recommend clarifying with your supervisor if you haven’t already.

How much reading have you done? If you used only what you have currently, would you feel able to write a full draft of 5000 words?
Reply 4
I am not an academic but this is what I remember from when my friend was an EPQ supervisor and she was trying to work out how to support her students and also what I recall from my time at university. You can narrow down what your title will cover and define your terms in the introduction. Quickly try and find some peer-reviewed articles on Google scholar or by searching for open access articles maybe. Do a road map of the essay in the intro. Try and show a bit of independent thinking and also some evaluation.

Is it a good idea to do the pros and cons of it? So have the intro, then put one side, then put the other, then assess the extent of its contribution etc, then conclusion.

AQA required a log. It is easy to fill in and you can pick up lots of marks there.

You need to allow time to reference it properly too.

Try and push everything else aside for these two weeks. If you have 14 days, you could search for more sources and research for maybe 2 days. Then you could maybe try a minimum of 700 or more quality words a day, so it would be done in 7 or 8 days. Then you may need at least a couple of days to reference.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by blvebelle
Yes, that timeline is feasible. However, I’m surprised that your supervisor hasn’t checked up on you to read drafts/your plans. I had AQA though so maybe they have different rules? Is this a final deadline? If not, my school was very flexible with extensions.

Also, are you certain you cannot change it? My question changed several times, even mere days before the final draft was due. I’d recommend clarifying with your supervisor if you haven’t already.

How much reading have you done? If you used only what you have currently, would you feel able to write a full draft of 5000 words?

hi yes that is the final deadline
we do edexcel and we get marked on how much help we received and also our supervisors are randomly allocated and mine honestly marks really strict but doesn’t give a **** about my epq because she said it’s too technical for her which is great

i also changed my question to “to what extent does CADD have an impact on the future of medicine” which is allowed but i meant i can’t change the whole idea or topic to something else.

i’ve read about 10 sources and watched 2 videos so far which isn’t great but bc i still have school and mocks as well as my dance and keyboard exams going on i haven’t had much time tbh

i’ve complet planned every bit and have done 300 words which is also not a lot but think i’ll have 1000 by tmrw and from there on i think i can do the rest

the only problem i have is that it is not being proofread by my supervisor before that time and also my presentation is 2 days after the deadline so i also need to squeeze that one in somehow
Reply 6
Original post by Cote1
I am not an academic but this is what I remember from when my friend was an EPQ supervisor and she was trying to work out how to support her students and also what I recall from my time at university. You can narrow down what your title will cover and define your terms in the introduction. Quickly try and find some peer-reviewed articles on Google scholar or by searching for open access articles maybe. Do a road map of the essay in the intro. Try and show a bit of independent thinking and also some evaluation.

Is it a good idea to do the pros and cons of it? So have the intro, then put one side, then put the other, then assess the extent of its contribution etc, then conclusion.

AQA required a log. It is easy to fill in and you can pick up lots of marks there.

You need to allow time to reference it properly too.

Try and push everything else aside for these two weeks. If you have 14 days, you could search for more sources and research for maybe 2 days. Then you could maybe try a minimum of 700 or more quality words a day, so it would be done in 7 or 8 days. Then you may need at least a couple of days to reference.

thank you but i’m finding referencing as i go the easiest and quickest and also went through my markscheme again bc i do a different exam board and you were right quite a lot of marks go into the activity log!
Reply 7
Original post by .N.A.
Hey, yes it's very possible to get it done within that timeframe as long as you convince yourself that you can do it.

I wrote pretty much all of my final EPQ dissertation within a week (because I'm a huge procrastinator). Was it stressful? Yeah... Did I get much sleep? No... But did I get it done? Yeah AND the good thing is that you have 2 weeks, not 1.

Soo tomorrow wake up nice and early and spend half a day just looking for as many relevant academic papers you can find (simply by reading the title and abstract) and save them all. If it looks even remotely related to your topic, save it.

Spend the next few days going through them all. I printed all of them out and used a highlighter whenever I saw something relevant. By the time you get through all the papers, you'll have lots of things highlighted.

At this point, you'll be relatively sure about where to go with your essay, so begin making connections between different papers and word vomiting in a Word document and just get as much as you can down. All your ideas, all the connections you've made - even if it seems messy.

And then elaborate, polish, do a bit more of your own analysis and throw in some final ideas.

Long story short: start going through all those academic papers and just process info.

The problem you have right now (which is the same problem I had) is that you don't know what you will write because you haven't done enough reading.

There will be times where you feel absolutely rubbish or that things aren't going well, but you'll eventually overcome all those hurdles. Sooooo you can either rot for the next 2 weeks and fail, or try your best and secure a high grade. 2 weeks will pass really quickly.

GL

thank you so much, this made me realise that i was complaining about smth that could easily be done bc uni students do 1000 2000 words a day for their dissertation and that i’m also not alone bc a lot of my friends and already completed or were close to

i'm thankful for ur help!
Reply 8
Original post by .N.A.

GL

turns out im also a huge procrastinator and am doing my epq in roughly about a week but to be honest i wrote 4500 words in one day (had to pull an all nighter though)
i already have over 5000 words but im still not done. im predicting its going to be roughly 7000 words in length so i have baout 2000 words to write as of now, i type while currently pulling another all nighter to do said 2000 words T.T

idk if you want it or not but i'll update with the grade I'll get as well as other stuff
hope you dont mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending