The Student Room Group

Is EPQ worth it?

Hey, I am going to start sixth form this september and I have chosen Mathematics, Physics, Economics and EPQ. I still have the opportunity to change my subjects so instead of physics I would do Business studies as I am not so capable of doing A Level Physics. I was wondering of doing subjects related to Banking and Finance.

Anyways, EPQ is the subject i'm not sure if I want to do. However, even if I do it I am wondering if it worth doing it. By this I mean if Universities would appreciate it or if it will benefit me in anyways. I hope this all makes sense :biggrin: lol

I would really apprecite if you guys can tell me if I should do EPQ and how it could benefit or if there are any issues of doing it. Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bigmo12456
Hey, I am going to start sixth form this september and I have chosen Mathematics, Physics, Economics and EPQ. I still have the opportunity to change my subjects so instead of physics I would do Business studies as I am not so capable of doing A Level Physics. I was wondering of doing subjects related to Banking and Finance.

Anyways, EPQ is the subject i'm not sure if I want to do. However, even if I do it I am wondering if it worth doing it. By this I mean if Universities would appreciate it or if it will benefit me in anyways. I hope this all makes sense :biggrin: lol

I would really apprecite if you guys can tell me if I should do EPQ and how it could benefit or if there are any issues of doing it. Thank you

I never did an EPQ even though I had the option to do one. I did another AS level instead on the side of my A2s.

It all depends on whether you have right skills to be able to do your own research and right up a piece of text in a coherent and well-informed manner. It is definitely a different type of qualification and piece of work to a traditional A-level so you have to make sure you are willing to put in the work while completing your A-levels.

I don't really see any benefit in terms of university applications, but I see it as having more of a personal development benefit.
Reply 2
No point doing business and Economics, just do Economics. Business studies isn’t very respected and the combination is seen as a waste of time since BS is just the easy parts of Economics.. watered down even more.

Basically if you can get a C in eco, you could probably get an A in business. As for the EPQ, sure. It’s a great qualification to have, you’ll likely enjoy it too.
Reply 3
Original post by Cubone-r
I never did an EPQ even though I had the option to do one. I did another AS level instead on the side of my A2s.

It all depends on whether you have right skills to be able to do your own research and right up a piece of text in a coherent and well-informed manner. It is definitely a different type of qualification and piece of work to a traditional A-level so you have to make sure you are willing to put in the work while completing your A-levels.

I don't really see any benefit in terms of university applications, but I see it as having more of a personal development benefit.

Oh Okey, Thank you
EPQ is a lot of work. Although I haven't properly started mine, it looks to be an awful lot of work - more so than my 4 AS Levels, perhaps even put together!

However, it is HIGHLY prized by universities. If you do your EPQ based on what you want to do as a degree, it shows your strong interest in the subject, and is often the make or break for gaining a place.
Reply 5
I was also wondering if you can drop any subject in A levels. For example, do three AS instead of four
Doing my epq now funnily enough (sitting on 3.1k and should get to 3.6k by today.
So far it has been tedious and imo boring , but I guess it would depend on what you do it on etc.

The end rewards are great though , with some uni's offering a grade or so lower with a B in EPQ is nice to have.

Keep in mind some uni's do 'accept' EPQ but don't actually account for lowering grades.
EPQ is valued by universities, as it gives the opportunity for students to demonstrate their research-led immersion in a self-directed topic which usually relates to their proposed degree.
Original post by TeenPolyglot
EPQ is a lot of work. Although I haven't properly started mine, it looks to be an awful lot of work - more so than my 4 AS Levels, perhaps even put together!

However, it is HIGHLY prized by universities. If you do your EPQ based on what you want to do as a degree, it shows your strong interest in the subject, and is often the make or break for gaining a place.

This is somewhat of a myth. The EPQ is not a make or break for gaining a place at university. There are plenty of other ways to show your interest in your chosen subject, an EPQ is just one of those ways.

As for it being highly prized by universities, that really depends on the admissions team. I've spoken with plenty of admissions officers for various universities and hardly any mention the EPQ, and if they do, it's not significant, and not a deal breaker like you said if you have not done one.
I did an EPQ because I wanted to kinda experience study that was similar to what i would do in uni. Imo thats a really important reason to do epq :smile:

Also it was really interesting to write about in my ps
Original post by Cubone-r
This is somewhat of a myth. The EPQ is not a make or break for gaining a place at university. There are plenty of other ways to show your interest in your chosen subject, an EPQ is just one of those ways.

As for it being highly prized by universities, that really depends on the admissions team. I've spoken with plenty of admissions officers for various universities and hardly any mention the EPQ, and if they do, it's not significant, and not a deal breaker like you said if you have not done one.

Funnily enough, I did contemplate for a while on whether 'make or break' was the right phrase to use.

I do stand corrected though. It must be argued, though, that whilst it may not be seen first and foremost by universities, it can put you at an advantage in some, particularly competitive courses and/or competitive universities.
Reply 11
Original post by Bigmo12456

Heyya!

I was like you when I was about to begin Sixthform. My school made everyone choose 3 subjects and then do the EPQ as extra and if you didn't do the EPQ you had to do creative writing or somthing like that which wasn't really for me.......

So anyway! I chose business health&soc and psychology AND the EPQ!

I didn't know (like yourself) what the EPQ really entailed, it was difficult to know what you actually had to do for it and if it was worth it.

About what you do on the epq
You basically choose a hypothesis/title you want to research. You will either choose make an artefact or a 5000 word essay. You need to choose your title/ wheter youre going to make an artefact or a 5000 word report ON SOMTHING YOU'RE INTERESTED IN. if you are not interested in the topic you choose, then you won't enjoy the EPQ. The EPQ is independently lead so you get to make all your decisions about your project yourself rather than your tutor spoon feeding you. I wanted to be a primary school teacher so i made a non fiction book for primary aged children on the subject of healthy eating. I researched the topic from nov-feb and then april-june I made my book. I really really enjoyed doing this.

Why do the EPQ?
It loooks really good on applications to universities. At uni you have to work the majority of the time, independently so by doing the EPQ it shows them that you have that skill.

It gives you more ucas points than an AS level. FACT.

It is reasonably easy to do. Plan your time out and get your research done nov-feb then begin making your project. This isn't that difficult.

It is fun. I really enjoyed it, People who haven't enjoyed it are those who have picked a subject to do their project on which had limited research resources/ didn't interest them enough.

with regards to business studies/economics over physics - DO IT! Don't listen to other people on here. Physics at alevels is extremly hard, a lot of people struggle with it and drop it early on. If you think you will struggle with and and may not enjoy it then you probably won't. A lot of my friends dropped it and even ended up dropping out of sixer because they failed it.

Business and economics are brilliant subjects at a-level and don't get much harder than GCSE. Doing both will not hurt you.

It is important with A-levels to do subjects you enjoy or you will not enjoy sixth form.

I hope this helps! Good Luck :smile:
The EPQ is a really valuable qualification!! As long as you pick a topic you are passionate about and balance your time well then it really isn't much of a stress at all. I achieved an A* in the EPQ and as a result all over my offers from Russell group universities were lowered, compared to my friends who didn't take the qualification.
I would say that yes, the EPQ is a valuable qualification. If you get an A or above in it, you can get reduced offers from good unis, such as Birmingham, Leeds etc, just to name a few Russell groups. This is good because it allows you to put a Russell group as your insurance choice, as a typical AAA offer would be lowered to AAB or even ABB in some circumstances. It also just makes life easier for you if you want to firm one of these.
Additionally, EPQ teaches you skills valuable of a university student, such as independent research and referencing. This will show and you can talk about it in your personal statement.
They are also good for Oxbridge! Even though they don't lower your offer, they give you a chance to research a field/topic related to your course and get great expertise which is amazing for interview, personal statements and sometimes you can submit parts of your EPQ as some of the written work some Oxbridge courses require.
Last but not least, if you find yourself in clearing or failing to meet your university offer by a grade, that extra qualification may make the difference between getting a place at a new uni, or leading the university who's requirements you failed to meet to reconsider you if you missed your offer by a grade.
I personally really enjoyed doing my EPQ, yes it was a lot of work but in the long run it'll pay off.
I am doing really similar A Levels to you and I would argue that it is definitely worth it. Not only does it lower offers from some universities, but I also really enjoyed doing it! It made a really welcome change from my normal A Levels and gave me some insight into research skills that I can take forward
I'm in the early stages of mine and it encourages independant study and planning, which A Levels at best only briefly touch upon and gives you a chance to develop skills that benefit you in the future.

Some unis recognise it and some unis don't. Even if they don't it's something you can discuss in your personal statement, especially if you're interested in a course where it's difficult to show you're actively interested otherwise.

I completely recommend you do it if you have the opportunity to. Not everyone does it and could act as an extra edge for competitive unis and courses. Make sure you enjoy it though. You'll get bored writing the 5000 essay if you don't.
Reply 16
Hi! I would definitely do an EPQ, I ended up with an A* with mine and found it very interesting indeed. My topic had no real correlation to my degree but it was personal to myself and I guess that's what made me really motivated to completing it. I also do 4 Linear A-Levels and the workload of that in addition to an EPQ was fairly difficult since I joined my class late November so I was really behind. You just have to manage your time well, that's what I did despite starting later than usual and ended up finishing a few weeks earlier than everyone else :smile:

In conclusion, the EPQ is definitely worth it aside from the extra UCAS points and lowered grade entry requirements to universities, it offers valuable skills that transfer to later life. I've found that doing my EPQ has helped me so much with my Art coursework going into Y13 (which itself is like an art-based EPQ).
Reply 17
Yes!
I did mine over the summer and at the start of my second year - got an A* on a psychology based EPQ!

I would definitely do one, it was helpful with UCAS, it got me my unconditional and several reduced offers - as it showed a passion for the subject and skills in writing and researching.

If you're prepared to put in the work, it's definitely worth it :biggrin:
Did mine in 2 weeks and got 97%. Great talking point for interviews and wider reading for PS.
Hey everyone,
I've just published a blog post about my experience of doing the EPQ and whether I think it's worth the time and effort. You might find it insightful to have a read of it here: masumahjannah.wordpress.com/should-i-do-the-epq

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending