The Student Room Group

Job/studies or both?

Hi I’m currently working a 20 hour contract retail job. I’m also on a gap year and plan to resit 2 of my a levels (maths and chemistry).

I didn’t get the best grades last year hence the resit and I need to get better this year or everything’s a waste. I feel like my job is hindering me as afterwards I feel tired and don’t bother revising the rest of the day. And plus my shifts are all irregular. Never the same shifts or day offs. I find it annoying. Hence I’m going to leave to focus on my revision for my a levels. I have been given holidays and can use them in June to have 2 and a half weeks off but I don’t think I’ll be enough to get the grades I need. Plus I’m really behind in revision content wise too.

Do you think this is the right thing to do or should I stay and try do both at the same time? My current job is only for money sake and has nothing to do with my future career.

I would really appreciate any responses. Thanks.
Definitely leave. Why waste your time on a job that wont contribute to your future when your exam results will? It is only a couple months of your life where you’ll be doing your exams and after that you can just go find another job or even the same one.
If you don’t get the grades you’ll always wonder if you would have if you’d given up the job
Hey @StressedBurger

That sounds like a tough situation. When are you due to take your resits?

Working while studying is possible but very difficult trying to juggle your time and making sure you're resting as well. Would you be able to cope financially if you did quit your job to focus on your revision? Is reducing your hours possible, to say only working Saturdays for example?

I think you need to look at how you're doing and what grades you're hoping to achieve for your resits and it's up to you on how you think you can stay motivated for studying right now. A gap in your job history is not a problem if you can explain why you've done it, ie had to take a temporary break from working to concentrate on studies.

What career are you hoping to go into in the end? Have you got your heart set on a particular degree at the moment?

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @StressedBurger

That sounds like a tough situation. When are you due to take your resits?

Working while studying is possible but very difficult trying to juggle your time and making sure you're resting as well. Would you be able to cope financially if you did quit your job to focus on your revision? Is reducing your hours possible, to say only working Saturdays for example?

I think you need to look at how you're doing and what grades you're hoping to achieve for your resits and it's up to you on how you think you can stay motivated for studying right now. A gap in your job history is not a problem if you can explain why you've done it, ie had to take a temporary break from working to concentrate on studies.

What career are you hoping to go into in the end? Have you got your heart set on a particular degree at the moment?

Best wishes

Exams are in June but I’m planning to leave in 2 weeks.

I plan on doing pharmacy at UoM

Financially I’ll be fine. Just earning money for myself
Hey @StressedBurger

It sounds like a good idea if you're OK for money to stop working to concentrate on your exams. June isn't too far away and exam season comes around quickly. Try to set yourself planning goals for your studies if you struggle to stay motivated. It's good to prioritise what you find most difficult/complicated first. Having a good routine for your day will start getting you ready for university as you may find it's a lot of self-study when you get to UoM.

Best of luck in your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest