The Student Room Group

Liverpool John Moores or Birmingham City Uni - acc & fin

I've received conditional offers from both of these universities on the course Accounting and Finance. To anyone who is studying in these repective universities please tell me some pros and cons of them and about your experiences there.

Also like the most important thing is which is better in terms of job prospects. The thing is according to stats LJMU has better emmployability and student satisfaction in general.

Side notes: I'm going through the international year one pathway for both of them so I will be at the respective college for the first year then move onto the second year at the university.
Which course do you prefer? Do either of them offer placement or internship opportunities as this will add a lot to your graduate CV?

Which location would suit you best in terms of transport links for trips home etc?
Reply 2
In terms of course I think I prefer BCU but I’ll look more into it. And yes both offer placements.

For location, I’m an international student so I would say the city with more part time opportunities are better. Oh and if you don’t mind could you tell me which city has better part time opportunities??

Thank you for your advice!!
Original post by Elise000
In terms of course I think I prefer BCU but I’ll look more into it. And yes both offer placements.

For location, I’m an international student so I would say the city with more part time opportunities are better. Oh and if you don’t mind could you tell me which city has better part time opportunities??

Thank you for your advice!!

It shouldn't be difficult to find a job in either location. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
I've received conditional offers from both of these universities on the course Accounting and Finance. To anyone who is studying in these repective universities please tell me some pros and cons of them and about your experiences there.
Also like the most important thing is which is better in terms of job prospects. The thing is according to stats LJMU has better emmployability and student satisfaction in general.
Side notes: I'm going through the international year one pathway for both of them so I will be at the respective college for the first year then move onto the second year at the university.
Hi there,

Congrats on both of your offers!

I can't speak for Liverpool John Moores as a university, however from visiting Liverpool it has lots of tourist attractions, shopping areas, restaurants and student life - so lots to offer for a uni student. I'm sure there are lots of part time job opportunities too as it's a big city.

As I study at BCU I can tell you a bit more...

I love studying in Birmingham. It's similar to Liverpool as it has so many shops, restaurants, a great nightlife, and places to explore. As a student originally from a much smaller city, I've managed to feel comfortable here in Birmingham and now know my way around the city confidently. And there are also lots of transport links so you can always travel a bit further afield on your days off to explore!

I study fashion design, so a little different to your course. But I also study at the City Centre Campus where you would be studying. I love the BCU campus - there's student accommodation as close as 5-15 minutes walk away, the library is extensive and there's always space to study. There's loads of cafes and food outlets on campus so you'll never go hungry! And there's events taking place at uni almost every day, from clothes swaps to giveaways.

To help with your decision, I would firstly compare the course content and facilities, as your course should be the most important factor in your decision. If you're still stuck, try comparing the uni campuses, accommodation options and transport links, societies, other support the unis offer. And if you're still undecided, then start comparing cities.

If you have any more questions about BCU, ask away! And I can try my best to answer them!
All the best :smile:
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi there,
Congrats on both of your offers!
I can't speak for Liverpool John Moores as a university, however from visiting Liverpool it has lots of tourist attractions, shopping areas, restaurants and student life - so lots to offer for a uni student. I'm sure there are lots of part time job opportunities too as it's a big city.
As I study at BCU I can tell you a bit more...
I love studying in Birmingham. It's similar to Liverpool as it has so many shops, restaurants, a great nightlife, and places to explore. As a student originally from a much smaller city, I've managed to feel comfortable here in Birmingham and now know my way around the city confidently. And there are also lots of transport links so you can always travel a bit further afield on your days off to explore!
I study fashion design, so a little different to your course. But I also study at the City Centre Campus where you would be studying. I love the BCU campus - there's student accommodation as close as 5-15 minutes walk away, the library is extensive and there's always space to study. There's loads of cafes and food outlets on campus so you'll never go hungry! And there's events taking place at uni almost every day, from clothes swaps to giveaways.
To help with your decision, I would firstly compare the course content and facilities, as your course should be the most important factor in your decision. If you're still stuck, try comparing the uni campuses, accommodation options and transport links, societies, other support the unis offer. And if you're still undecided, then start comparing cities.
If you have any more questions about BCU, ask away! And I can try my best to answer them!
All the best :smile:
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Thank you so much for your advice it was really helpful 😊😊.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

Well done for getting offers from both unis!

Both Liverpool and Birmingham are great cities to study in, with loads of opportunities. I really enjoy studying at LJMU because there are so many opportunities in and out of uni. JMSU, our student union, is constantly putting on events, from free giveaways to career panels. We also have a huge range of societies, such as Taylor Swift, Business, Art and a variety of sports. Liverpool itself is full of students, so social places like pubs, restaurants and nightclubs across the city are constantly doing student nights or discounts.

As an Accounting and Finance student, you will be based at the Mt Pleasant Campus. This is a great location, which is around a 10 minute walk into the city centre. It has a huge library with computers, study rooms and a cafe. The campus is surrounded by shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants and theatres. I would recommend trying to visit both unis before making your decision, maybe for an open day or applicant day if you can make it. We also have LJMU on demand, on the uni website, which can give you useful insight if you are unable to make it in person.

In terms of job prospects, we have an excellent Careers service at LJMU. They can help with part-time jobs during your time at uni, placements, and future careers for once you've graduated.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Sophie
LJMU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending