The Student Room Group

Which university is better, University of Liverpool or Lancaster University?

I have an interest in accounting, finance, investment and management. I am confused as to which university should I choose?
University of Liverpool- MSc Finance and Investment Management
Lancaster University-MSc Accounting and Financial Management

I am from India, coming from a middle class family.Lancaster is a good university but Lancaster as finding it really difficult to find jobs because of its location.I have applied for a scholarship at Lancaster, I am yet to hear from the University.
Where as, for University of Liverpool, I have received a scholarship I've heard mixed opinions about the university.
Both the universities are good, one difference is that Liverpool belongs to the Russell group and Lancaster does not.
Therefore, I am really confused as to which university to chose based on the course, ranking, job opportunities, safety, rate of employment for the chosen course, the demand for the chosen course, the return on investment, the quality of education and possible future prospects after I finish the course.
Considering all these factors which university would be a best*fit*for*me?
Hi @chitra0014!

I'm currently a 3rd year Psychology student at Lancaster University, so whilst I can't speak to studying Accounting and Financial Management, I can speak about the university in general!

You've mentioned job opportunities and rate of employment for the particular course - in terms of general employment, specifically employment following graduation, Lancaster is one of the top 25 most targeted universities by employers, and students that graduate from here go into employment all around the world! Here's the link to our website that talks about career prospects: Careers and Employability

Lancaster also has an outstanding Careers Service, which you not only have access to whilst studying at the university, but after you graduate as well! They provide a range of services, such as CV checking, careers appointments, and tools and resources to help you in your job search. Here's the link to our career service website: Career Service

Whilst I can't speak to specific information regarding studying the MSc in Accounting and Financial Management course, here is some information I found out about the ranking of the course, both in the UK and the world:
Lancaster is ranked 11th in the UK and joint 65th in the world for Accounting and Finance according to the QS World Rankings by Subject 2023.

Further details are on our website for this particular course: Accounting and Financial Management MSc

If you have any further questions about the course, feel free to email the address listed on the website above!

In terms of the university itself - I fell in love with it as soon as I visited it! This was one of the main deciding factors for myself when choosing which university to study at, so I would recommend, if you are able and want to, visting both Lancaster and Liverpool, or potentially attending online events (if you are unable to visit in person), as this can give you the chance to ask questions in real time to both academics and students, and potentially receive a sample lecture from your course, as well as being shown the campus and / or the specific bulidings relating to your course. Here is the link detailing information about our post graduate open days: Postgraduate Open Days

The campus itself is stunning, with lots of greenery, as well as modern buildings and architecture. There are a whole range of societies for you to get involved in, which means there is always something for everyone, no matter what your interests!

I hope this was helpful - please let me know if you have any further questions!

Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Right. Thank you. I've heard that students face difficulty with finding jobs because of the location. Therefore, I am a little skeptical. Because I would have a huge loan to pay off. What about the accommodation and living expenses, what is the average amount needed? Also what about the part time opportunities?

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @chitra0014!

I'm currently a 3rd year Psychology student at Lancaster University, so whilst I can't speak to studying Accounting and Financial Management, I can speak about the university in general!

You've mentioned job opportunities and rate of employment for the particular course - in terms of general employment, specifically employment following graduation, Lancaster is one of the top 25 most targeted universities by employers, and students that graduate from here go into employment all around the world! Here's the link to our website that talks about career prospects: Careers and Employability

Lancaster also has an outstanding Careers Service, which you not only have access to whilst studying at the university, but after you graduate as well! They provide a range of services, such as CV checking, careers appointments, and tools and resources to help you in your job search. Here's the link to our career service website: Career Service

Whilst I can't speak to specific information regarding studying the MSc in Accounting and Financial Management course, here is some information I found out about the ranking of the course, both in the UK and the world:
Lancaster is ranked 11th in the UK and joint 65th in the world for Accounting and Finance according to the QS World Rankings by Subject 2023.

Further details are on our website for this particular course: Accounting and Financial Management MSc

If you have any further questions about the course, feel free to email the address listed on the website above!

In terms of the university itself - I fell in love with it as soon as I visited it! This was one of the main deciding factors for myself when choosing which university to study at, so I would recommend, if you are able and want to, visting both Lancaster and Liverpool, or potentially attending online events (if you are unable to visit in person), as this can give you the chance to ask questions in real time to both academics and students, and potentially receive a sample lecture from your course, as well as being shown the campus and / or the specific bulidings relating to your course. Here is the link detailing information about our post graduate open days: Postgraduate Open Days

The campus itself is stunning, with lots of greenery, as well as modern buildings and architecture. There are a whole range of societies for you to get involved in, which means there is always something for everyone, no matter what your interests!

I hope this was helpful - please let me know if you have any further questions!

Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending