The Student Room Group

choosing a course at university

HI i am currently a year 13 student and am about to write my personal statement however i am stuck between two courses to choose from. I am thinking of either doing a degree in aerospace or civil engineering. I wanted to do civil engineering due to my work experience which i really enjoyed however i didnt like how most of the jobs there were just management which is putting me off doing the course. However I really enjoy the idea of studying aerospace as the modules sound interesting to study but i have no idea what it would actually be like to study it or what sort of jobs are available afterwards. Is there any insight anyone can give me into the study and work of these fields it would be greatly appreciated.
Hey,

I can’t help with specifics as I’m not studying either of those. BUT, I was also stuck between two subjects when writing my personal statement. They were completely different and I couldn’t choose. So with the help of friends, family and teachers at school I managed to craft a personal statement that satisfied both courses and ending up with me getting all my offers back.

That’s to say if you’re unsure now, don’t worry. You’ve got time still and you can, with a little bit of thought and clever writing, create a personal statement that looks good for both courses.

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by cyberstudent99
Hey,

I can’t help with specifics as I’m not studying either of those. BUT, I was also stuck between two subjects when writing my personal statement. They were completely different and I couldn’t choose. So with the help of friends, family and teachers at school I managed to craft a personal statement that satisfied both courses and ending up with me getting all my offers back.

That’s to say if you’re unsure now, don’t worry. You’ve got time still and you can, with a little bit of thought and clever writing, create a personal statement that looks good for both courses.

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit :smile:

okay thanks
Original post by ziggy.39
HI i am currently a year 13 student and am about to write my personal statement however i am stuck between two courses to choose from. I am thinking of either doing a degree in aerospace or civil engineering. I wanted to do civil engineering due to my work experience which i really enjoyed however i didnt like how most of the jobs there were just management which is putting me off doing the course. However I really enjoy the idea of studying aerospace as the modules sound interesting to study but i have no idea what it would actually be like to study it or what sort of jobs are available afterwards. Is there any insight anyone can give me into the study and work of these fields it would be greatly appreciated.

Civil engineering jobs encompass more than just management - though given the cost and scale of many infrastructure projects there are lots of opportunities for those looking more towards the management than technical side. If you want to do design then look into the consultancies.

Studying aerospace engineering is essentially like studying mechanical engineering, with the application of the material being towards aerospace. Are you keen to study more mechanical orientated topics?

Quick Reply

Latest