The Student Room Group

For STEP II, should I focus on Mechanics or Statistics

I finished Year 13 in July 2022 and took a gap year to work and re-apply for computer science. I now have an Imperial conditional offer for STEP II grade 2.
In year 13 I did further maths both mechanics and stats. But I heard that for STEP it makes sense to focus on either one or the other if you don't have much time.
For me, I think focusing on stats might be easier in terms of revising the material.
But I wonder if the mechanic's questions for STEP are substantially easier such that this personal disadvantage of revising stats over mechanics is made up for.
Which one would you focus on? Thoughts?
It really doesn't matter. All you need is 6 problems, or 5.
For all you want you can just do all four(?) mech/stat and two more pure math problems, if that suits your style.

If anything, it's usually a bad idea to plan on doing only pure, because there might just be an easy (albeit a bit messy) probability problem up for free. That said, if you feel extremely uncomfortable with mech/stat, go for it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tonyiptony
It really doesn't matter. All you need is 6 problems, or 5.
For all you want you can just do all four(?) mech/stat and two more pure math problems, if that suits your style.

If anything, it's usually a bad idea to plan on doing only pure, because there might just be an easy (albeit a bit messy) probability problem up for free. That said, if you feel extremely uncomfortable with mech/stat, go for it.

Agreed. As someone currently preparing for STEP, I find the probability problems to be (somewhat) easier than the pure questions, in the sense that they are more straightforward and do not require as much insight. Of course, these are just my personal opinions ...

Quick Reply

Latest