The Student Room Group

Life as self-taught A*/A A-lvl student skip Y13, uni at 16 despite suspected ASD/ADHD

I've decided to start this life and wellbeing blog in exam term to keep my wellbeing over the exams. I've finally managed to transition from being a nerd who never really studied and constantly played video games... to a more well-rounded person. It's been a long process but hopefully this time my wellbeing can reach new heights, whether emotionally, socially, romantically or even sexually.

2021 and 2022 were my biggest years of growth I ever had. Hopefully 2023 would still be. I've learnt to fight part of the establishment head-on and even succeeded at many times. But I was too optimistic... the headwinds were stronger than expected.

While I do have significant wellbeing problems (relative loneliness, putting things off until the last minute)... I do believe eventually I could overcome them, even if it takes a very long time to do so...

Tag list: @The_Lonely_Goatherd @BurstingBubbles @iL1L @Faith&hardwork @KA_P
Let me know if you don't want to be tagged here, or if you want to be tagged somewhere else (like my GYG blog)

Edit: At 22/5/2023 Part 2 started
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ooh! Definitely following :h: Thanks for the tag :smile:
Thank you for tagging!
Original post by iL1L
Ooh! Definitely following :h: Thanks for the tag :smile:

Would you like to be tagged for my GYG blog?

Update: Wellbeing is still OK, getting better especially in terms of work being done. I've ruined my sleep schedule again (it takes time and impulse control to fix, which i don't have that much). Being hyper sucks... although it wasn't as severe as before.

1 1/2 months until the end of exams, and then 3 months for wellbeing improvement in the summer. I hope it'll be great!

Full wellbeing is very difficult but it needs to be worked towards. I'm not sure if I can even achieve it. But I will try, for the sake of my MH.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by KA_P
Thank you for tagging!

I'm finally getting more work done. I just need to force myself to keep myself on track, at least 3 hours a day studying.
Original post by justlearning1469

I'm finally getting more work done. I just need to force myself to keep myself on track, at least 3 hours a day studying.

Sure that would be great! We're rooting for you :hugs:
Original post by KA_P
Sure that would be great! We're rooting for you :hugs:

tagged

As long as I can keep continuing this progress... i might even be able to go faster than expected (which'll help me reverse the trend of going slower than expected. Therefore the gap between my skills and potential would decrease).

But the impulse to go back to the old ways is very strong, especially in the face of my not great impulse control.
(edited 1 year ago)
tagged

As long as I can keep continuing this progress... i might even be able to go faster than expected (which'll help me reverse the trend of going slower than expected. Therefore the gap between my skills and potential would decrease).

But the impulse to go back to the old ways is very strong, especially in the face of my not great impulse control.

Staying motivated and taking things one at a time should help you keep to a routine. I find that if I make a huge change to my routine, I'm less likely to keep to it. Trying to prioritise certain things first does help :smile:
Original post by KA_P
Staying motivated and taking things one at a time should help you keep to a routine. I find that if I make a huge change to my routine, I'm less likely to keep to it. Trying to prioritise certain things first does help :smile:

I agree. I'm prioritisingg keeping up to speed for academics and even catching up, even if I need to reduce the time spent on hobbies (still trying to avoid losing the skills I gained over the year)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Following :biggrin:

More difficult to keep work up while trying to fix the schedule.

At least I kept my hobbies up... but I'm a pretty distractable person. No wonder why I fell quite significantly below my potential...

If I can just keep up these study sessions, I can at least finish what I wanted today, although... later than expected
(edited 1 year ago)
I've finally managed to almost finish what I wanted yesterday, but all I could do was not fall even further behind from my potential (procrastinated a lot and wasted a whole lot of time back then).

I need to somehow bridge the gap between 20 hours of independent study a week for A-level and 30 something of independent study a week for university. That is going to be difficult... but I'd have more time as I'd have higher grades than most in the course, and also further ahead (enrichment, content-wise). If I can actually use that time wisely, that is.

And my sleep schedule is still a mess...
(edited 1 year ago)
Still working on hobbies like badminton, actually doing some work (hopefully I'd finish what I expected to do today).

I boosted my self-confidence by hitting back at people who advocated for me to be banned from TSR. They thought they could ruin my reputation but I am still standing.
Many people overreact in society, and hopefully I stood as the voice of reason dismantling their myths. These past few months people overreacted, I stood firm. 1-2 years ago I would've given way.

I used to be too scared in taking my opportunities, now I am fine with taking my opportunities (to the legal limit as the max I'm willing to go...). It's tough to solidify the change, but hopefully I will end up a pretty strong and exceptional person at the end of it all.

Romantically, a bit dry but at least this month multiple girls from TSR decided to hit on me even without me approaching them. I guess i'm still good with them, although being good with the ladies in person is different from online.
(edited 1 year ago)
Somehow, despite studying more than expected and spending more time, I am still making progress in my hobbies. In another thread of education flexibility (skip year) my campaigning and passion was acknowledged. It was tough, but it'll prepare me mentally when I have to defend a controversial position in debates...

The charisma developed and used from the opportunities to promote a view when people were PMing me... also helped tip the balance. Mental toughness was also developed, and debate skills.

All I need to do is keep it up, although keeping things up is much more difficult than starting things.
(edited 1 year ago)
Daily summary
Basically got back on track, in studies, and celebrated victories. Wellbeing is now on track guys!

More tags (message if you want to be removed):
@parmezanne @5hyl33n @Ciel @Callicious @Rufus The Red
Despite increasing the workload to at least four hours a day of studying, I'm still keeping my hobbies up, and developing other areas in my life.

Way to go for work-life balance! I need to take advantage of the increased motivation to boost my wellbeing, while it's still there.

The path to victory is becoming clearer by the day! I should prevail in life (at least when deadlines are motivating me to push forwards).

Tag list: @The_Lonely_Goatherd @BurstingBubbles @iL1L @KA_P @RainbowLapras @JVM2020 @Talkative Toad @Faith&hardwork
Keep yourself going.

Remember to think of yourself in each situation you find yourself :smile:
Original post by JVM2020
Keep yourself going.

Remember to think of yourself in each situation you find yourself :smile:

At first, I thought I was selfish for thinking that.

But now that I think of it, you're right!

Therefore, the new motto: Justlearning First!

What do you think, @JVM2020
Reply 18
At first, I thought I was selfish for thinking that.

But now that I think of it, you're right!

Therefore, the new motto: Justlearning First!

What do you think, @JVM2020

I like that motto. Sounds great:smile:
Original post by JVM2020
I like that motto. Sounds great:smile:

Update 1: Justlearning First! (28 April 2023)
Not having girls throw themselves on me in TSR (for dating etc.) has its advantages. I now have a lot of time, which I can use to study hard and actually achieve my expected results for once, or even make more progress than expected.

This has given me a new motivation in life to finally achieve as much as my potential or even more, hopefully every day (but maybe not). With this new motivation, full wellbeing is even more plausible. Achieving greatness in life would take a lot longer, though.

I am supposed to be the captain of my own ship. And if plausible, maybe even lead others. While some people would think I'm selfish or insensitive, I don't really care, for the payoff would be worth it. If my way works, my points would hold water, especially considering the headwinds I had to face over the past couple years.

This mindset change should last until ~20 June or so, which should be long enough of a myself-focus. Then I can allow some others in my life to some extent, like friends, although I still have my things to achieve.

Tag list: @The_Lonely_Goatherd @BurstingBubbles @iL1L @Faith&hardwork @KA_P @JVM2020 @RainbowLapras @Talkative Toad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending