The Student Room Group

University of Exceter

Hi all,
I am currently doing an access course and I will be starting university September of 2024. I would like to make the University of Exceter as my first choice as it is a Russell Group university,has my course of choice and the campus seems to be very picturesque. So if anyone currently studies at the university of Exceter,how is it so far? what are the positives and negatives?
Original post by ZeinabHire
Hi all,
I am currently doing an access course and I will be starting university September of 2024. I would like to make the University of Exceter as my first choice as it is a Russell Group university,has my course of choice and the campus seems to be very picturesque. So if anyone currently studies at the university of Exceter,how is it so far? what are the positives and negatives?

My son studied there a few years ago so this is what I know.

It has 3 campuses 2 about a mile apart in Exeter and another miles away in Penryn. I assume you are applying to Exeter so will concentrate on that.

Most subjects are taught on the main Streatham campus which is very campus. My son used to say there were 7 times more trees than people. It is a very nice campus very green and extremely hilly. It is about 15 minutes walk to the city centre and the main railway station. It has very good sports facilities which are amongst the best in the UK. It also has a theatre, a pub known as the Ram and a nightclub known as the Lemmy. The city is a fairly small city but has most of the major shops. It has pubs and a small number of nightclubs but obviously being a small city has nothing like the nightlife of places like Bristol, Liverpool or Manchester. It has a reputation of being white and middle class but there are more state school students than private school students so that is a bit misleading. It has also had a reputation for being racist but the university are very strict over that and expelled a number of students several years ago for that.
Reply 2
I see many thanks for your detailed and lengthy reply I very much appreciate it!
Reply 3
I currently go to Exeter (also did an access course) and I really like it, it has lots of beaches nearby, the campus (streatham) is lovely and there’s loads of different things to do/ places to eat on campus. It’s very hilly tho so if you’re not used to that it can be difficult at the start. It’s also not as diverse as other universities, but if you join societies and clubs you can meet ppl of the same culture/ background. It’s a small city so it can feel a bit closed off at times as well. It has good welfare support and student support generally.
Reply 4
Original post by bimbibap
I currently go to Exeter (also did an access course) and I really like it, it has lots of beaches nearby, the campus (streatham) is lovely and there’s loads of different things to do/ places to eat on campus. It’s very hilly tho so if you’re not used to that it can be difficult at the start. It’s also not as diverse as other universities, but if you join societies and clubs you can meet ppl of the same culture/ background. It’s a small city so it can feel a bit closed off at times as well. It has good welfare support and student support generally.

Thank you very much for your response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending