The Student Room Group

AITA (Boyfriend joked about cheating on me)

Last night me and my boyfriend were texting, he mentioned how the new waitress he now works with winked at him. I brushed it off because he wears a promise ring, which he did show her. I got upset when said he liked the attention, but I didn’t say anything about it. We later called and I mentioned how he told me he liked the attention, he explained that he wasn’t used to positive attention and how he wasn’t used to others finding him attractive. I was clearly bothered by this, but we continued talking. We hung up, then called again later. He made a joke about calling the waitress, (for more context, he said he was going to call “one of his hoes”) and I immediately hung up and ignored his calls. I have since texted him today and apologized and told him I loved him. He is ignoring me and I feel this is fair since I ignored him, but I’m irritated. AITA and should I try to apologize for my behavior?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Eva^
Last night me and my boyfriend were texting, he mentioned how the new waitress he now works with winked at him. I brushed it off because he wears a promise ring, which he did show her. I got upset when said he liked the attention, but I didn’t say anything about it. We later called and I mentioned how he told me he liked the attention, he explained that he wasn’t used to positive attention and how he wasn’t used to others finding him attractive. I was clearly bothered by this, but we continued talking. We hung up, then called again later. He made a joke about calling the waitress, (for more context, he said he was going to call “one of his hoes”) and I immediately hung up and ignored his calls. I have since texted him today and apologized and told him I loved him. He is ignoring me and I feel this is fair since I ignored him, but I’m irritated. AITA and should I try to apologize for my behavior?

Ew this is definitely not your fault, in fact you deserve better than that I'd honestly suggest you ditch him. The fact that he kept bringing it up, even suggesting cheating as a joke is evidence he's not very bright or loving either. Don't apologise and ignore your feelings.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Ew this is definitely not your fault, in fact you deserve better than that I'd honestly suggest you ditch him. The fact that he kept bringing it up, even suggesting cheating as a joke is evidence he's not very bright or loving either. Don't apologise and ignore your feelings.

Thank you, I thought I was overreacting.
Original post by Eva^

You're not. Tbh I feel that it is a weird situation and you should have let your bf know how you were feeling about this, but regardless of your feelings it was a very strange joke for your bf to have made - I would have acted the same it's a crappy thing to joke about and it's annoying for him to keep mentioning another woman to his gf. I think the only thing worth apologising for was missing the calls, but even then you don't have to do that after what he said to you.
Original post by Eva^
Thank you, I thought I was overreacting.

You're definitely not, however some people are genuinely idiots so it is usually helpful to be straightforward and speak up when you don't like something. If you do end up talking this out with him, share your feelings and his reaction should be a good indicator of his character.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending