The Student Room Group

If you could instantly become fluent in any foreign language which one would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old Skool Freak
You say that, but as a native English speaker, I find Spanish is easier to get to grips with than French (Spanish seems a bit more relaxed with the whole Masculine / Feminine malarkey and I find there are no where near as many rules and /or prefixes.

Currently studying French and Spanish... I would also like to learn Portuguese and Italian, as they should be relatively easy once I'm fully competent in Spanish... but not until I've reached a notable standard to avoid confusion and (literally) mincing my words lol

I know, and I would probably want to learn Mandarin; but I'm not familiar enough with that to know certainly whether I'd want to learn Mandarin or Cantonese.
Maybe not now...but who knows where we'll be in, say, 20-30 years time? You have to think about big and fast the Chinese economy has grown in the past 20 years alone (e.g. at the start of the Millennium, their automotive industry was pretty much the laughing stock; now, with BYD in particular, they're leading the world for electric vehicle manufacture) .

China is well on course to becoming a single superpower to rival USA; so it would make sense to learn Mandarin from business perspective & there are even celebrities whom you wouldn't typically associate with the language now learning / speaking it including:- Mark Zuckerberg; Kevin Rudd; Vanessa Branch; Mira Sorvino and Mark Henry Roswell

maybe
Original post by penguingirl18
I know, and I would probably want to learn Mandarin; but I'm not familiar enough with that to know certainly whether I'd want to learn Mandarin or Cantonese.

As said in my other post, I think Mandarin would probably be the better one to learn... although I'd imagine Cantonese would probably be easier to get to grips with (IMHO, it sounds more distinctive, and a lot of the British Chinese I know tend to speak it... so more opportunities to practice).
Original post by Guru Jason
Dog. So I could speak with dogs.

Here's a thought... I've always wondered if dogs ever get p****d off that they can't speak (they can clearly understand a lot of words, commands etc. :lol: )
(edited 7 months ago)
Probably French or Spanish, trying to think of the most widely used languages across the world
Original post by CamembertPaws
Probably French or Spanish, trying to think of the most widely used languages across the world

Arabic and Mandarin?
Original post by Talkative Toad
Arabic and Mandarin?

I think Spanish is slightly more widely spoken than Arabic, good point about Mandarin though
Original post by CamembertPaws

Well blatantly English is the most widely spoken language in the world; I think it's (unofficially) the Global language... go to pretty much any city / significant town on the planet, and you shouldn't have to work too hard to find an English speaker there.

However, if you're looking for the languages with the most native speakers, then Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish are both spoken way more than English.

Check this list out... there's a few surprises there; I guess I should've guessed Hindi would be right up there; it's the one language spoken throughout India... as well as the local languages (e.g. Guajarati Tamil etc.) , but I would never have put French so far down that list; Sacre Bleu :pierre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers
Reply 88
Can include English if English is not your first language.
I'm excluding languages as Lorem Ipsum, sarcasm, punning, slang, trolling etc
Only name one language 🤷🏾*♀️.

German. I’m looking to move to Germany once I’m old enough and have gone through uni and all that stuff.
Well blatantly English is the most widely spoken language in the world; I think it's (unofficially) the Global language... go to pretty much any city / significant town on the planet, and you shouldn't have to work too hard to find an English speaker there.

However, if you're looking for the languages with the most native speakers, then Chinese (Mandarin) and Spanish are both spoken way more than English.

Check this list out... there's a few surprises there; I guess I should've guessed Hindi would be right up there; it's the one language spoken throughout India... as well as the local languages (e.g. Guajarati Tamil etc.) , but I would never have put French so far down that list; Sacre Bleu :pierre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

For sure English but not much use to me when I am already fluent :biggrin: I saw the list and it is a little surprising!
Reply 90
Original post by Ozymandias007
German!
how many languages do you guys know? I know Spanish and English fluently
(Born in Spain, live in England, I love Germany)

i know 4 2 fluently 2 no that fluent if u get me
i love spain wanna go there when older
i was born in italy but live in england too
Maybe we know each other lol
Btw, its very hot in Spain (all-year), so bring cool clothes!
I want to go Rome as well, i have always been fascinated by History, especially the Romans

Do you think that I am fairly fluent in English? Japanese and Spanish are the languages I would live to speak fluently. Latin comes as third.
Original post by Kallisto

Do you think that I am fairly fluent in English? Japanese and Spanish are the languages I would live to speak fluently. Latin comes as third.

I have no idea whether you’re fluent in English or not.
I have no idea whether you’re fluent in English or not.

To be at that level, I need at least B1, possibly even B2. C1 is fairly at mother tongue level. English is not the language I was grown up with. Do you at least think that I am good at that language?
Original post by Kallisto
To be at that level, I need at least B1, possibly even B2. C1 is fairly at mother tongue level. English is not the language I was grown up with. Do you at least think that I am good at that language?

I don’t know but I can understand what you type 🤷🏾*♀️.
Reply 96
Either Japanese or German
Original post by npong1113
Either Japanese or German

It makes it easier for me: Japanese, because German is my mother-tongue! :biggrin:

spanish :smile: currently doing it for a level and i am enjoying it :biggrin:
Reply 99
Probably Lojban, as then I'll be the first fluent Lojban speaker in the world. Although nobody will be able to verify that...

OP did specify only one language is allowed, so I'd also love to be proficient in a script: Linear A. Who knows what archaeological or historical contributions this would allow!

Quick Reply

Latest