The Student Room Group

music gcse

so i think this is the right place!!
so at the start of last year, my school got a new music teacher as head of music, and he teaches the gcse classes now.
the problem is he is utterly terrible at teaching, so me and the rest of my music class realised a few days ago when we did a practice paper that none of us have the faintest clue what we're doing, and what we've done over the past year and a bit beyond coursework
anyway, i was wondering that if anyone has any good strategies/resources on how to study and prepare for the gcse! i really need an 8/9 in it to get into the sixth form i'm aiming for, so any advice would be much appreciated ^^
thanks
Hi! I take music theory classes outside school; I don't know if that is an option for you? Maybe you could also use the ABRSM theory books? I'm not sure and this might be wrong but I think the grade 5 theory test roughly corresponds to (I)GCSE level. Hope this is helpful!
Hi, just a quick question - do you want to pursue a musical career and do you play any instruments?

I am yr10 and I'll try to help if I can. My music teachers have always been good tbh so I can't relate on that front, but revision tips - flashcards, past papers, note-taking, repeat repeat repeat. Seneca is good, I do Edexcel GCSE, you might not, but Seneca has the entire exam board on there. For various musical elements, make boards with all good words on, for example -

Melody:
Ornamentation
Melisma
Syllabic
Repetition
Descending
Ascending
Conjunct
Disjunct
Anacrusis
Ostinato
Articulation
Call and Response
Sequences

Rhythm:
Cross-rhythms
Duration
Ties
Polyrhythmic
Ostinato
Note values
Straight
Dotted
Rests
Offbeats
Notes
Swung

Harmony:
Cadences
Harmonic devices - suspensions, sequences, circle of 5ths, pedal note, cadences
Dissonant chords
Tierce de Picardie
Diminished
Major
Minor
Augmented
Chords
Consonant chords

Tonality:
Atonal
Pentatonic
Whole tone
Chromatic
Major
Minor
Modal

Also, the DR SMITH method is useful.

D - dynamics; duration
R - rhythm
S - structure
M - melody; metre
I - instrumentation
T - texture; tempo; timbre; tonality
H - harmony

Are you doing Music For A While as a set piece? Because I can send my revision notes over if that's helpful
Original post by Kathrine1
Hi! I take music theory classes outside school; I don't know if that is an option for you? Maybe you could also use the ABRSM theory books? I'm not sure and this might be wrong but I think the grade 5 theory test roughly corresponds to (I)GCSE level. Hope this is helpful!

Oh hiya Kathrine LMAOO
Ye g5 ABRSM is GCSE music standard :biggrin:
Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06
Oh hiya Kathrine LMAOO
Ye g5 ABRSM is GCSE music standard :biggrin:

Hi!! :biggrin: Wow I never knew Seneca had stuff for music theory (I mostly use it for science and german :laugh:. )
Hi!! :biggrin: Wow I never knew Seneca had stuff for music theory (I mostly use it for science and german :laugh:. )

Hahahhaa yes!
Hi, just a quick question - do you want to pursue a musical career and do you play any instruments?

I am yr10 and I'll try to help if I can. My music teachers have always been good tbh so I can't relate on that front, but revision tips - flashcards, past papers, note-taking, repeat repeat repeat. Seneca is good, I do Edexcel GCSE, you might not, but Seneca has the entire exam board on there. For various musical elements, make boards with all good words on, for example -

Melody:
Ornamentation
Melisma
Syllabic
Repetition
Descending
Ascending
Conjunct
Disjunct
Anacrusis
Ostinato
Articulation
Call and Response
Sequences

Rhythm:
Cross-rhythms
Duration
Ties
Polyrhythmic
Ostinato
Note values
Straight
Dotted
Rests
Offbeats
Notes
Swung

Harmony:
Cadences
Dissonant chords
Tierce de Picardie
Diminished
Major
Minor
Augmented
Chords
Consonant chords

Tonality:
Atonal
Pentatonic
Whole tone
Chromatic
Major
Minor
Modal

D - dynamics; duration
R - rhythm
S - structure
M - melody; metre
I - instrumentation
H - harmony

Are you doing Music For A While as a set piece? Because I can send my revision notes over if that's helpful

i am doing 'music for a while', that would be super helpful haha
i'm actually grade 8 in piano and also sing a lot, so the music theory stuff isn't too difficult for me! i just have no clue where to start with the set pieces and essay :/
but all that is really useful, tysm!!

yeah! i've done grade 5 music theory already and understand those bits, the problem is more trying to get the right answers on the set pieces and essay lol
Original post by purplepersonlol
i am doing 'music for a while', that would be super helpful haha
i'm actually grade 8 in piano and also sing a lot, so the music theory stuff isn't too difficult for me! i just have no clue where to start with the set pieces and essay :/
but all that is really useful, tysm!!

Bahahhaa we've just finished that set piece, will send my notes over once I complete my Killer Queen music prep :laugh:
Reply 9

Melody:
Ornamentation
Melisma
Syllabic
Repetition
Descending
Ascending
Conjunct
Disjunct
Anacrusis
Ostinato
Articulation
Call and Response
Sequences

Rhythm:
Cross-rhythms
Duration
Ties
Polyrhythmic
Ostinato
Note values
Straight
Dotted
Rests
Offbeats
Notes
Swung

Harmony:
Cadences
Dissonant chords
Tierce de Picardie
Diminished
Major
Minor
Augmented
Chords
Consonant chords

Tonality:
Atonal
Pentatonic
Whole tone
Chromatic
Major
Minor
Modal

D - dynamics; duration
R - rhythm
S - structure
M - melody; metre
I - instrumentation
H - harmony

Thank you for the list this is super useful

Quick Reply

Latest