The Student Room Group

Do ABRSM grade 5 theory results matter?

I am studying for grade 5 theory on ABRSM. I am studying hard and have done some past papers I have had some merits and some distinction. Do I keep doing papers until they are all distinction or do I just take the test? Does it matter if I don't get distinction as long as I pass? I know grade 6 onwards goes towards UCAS but not really sure if grade 5 contributes to anything other than the practical exams progression.
Reply 1
I'm not 100% sure but I feel like if you plan on going past grade 5 in theory it doesn't really matter. If you were planning on doing grade 5 and then stopping it would make sense to aim for a distinction as you could reference that in personal statements etc but if it's just for the purpose of passing grade 5 and progressing it shouldn't be an issue to get a merit or below!
Reply 2
Original post by hlxxxxxxx
I am studying for grade 5 theory on ABRSM. I am studying hard and have done some past papers I have had some merits and some distinction. Do I keep doing papers until they are all distinction or do I just take the test? Does it matter if I don't get distinction as long as I pass? I know grade 6 onwards goes towards UCAS but not really sure if grade 5 contributes to anything other than the practical exams progression.

It doesn't matter and grade 5 theory isn;t even needed - you can do grade 5 jazz instead.
not sure but dont think it counts unless grade 6

Quick Reply

Latest