The Student Room Group

student loans..

not really sure how to feel about student loans, i dont think i am ready to commit all this time and money into a degree im not sure i want, i do like my subject but can i really do it at the degree level at a top uk uni? it feels strange because i haven't always been a super intelligent or an academic person so im not sure how i'll respond to uni life, am i ready to take out a 30k loan plus interest on a degree that doesnt ensure you a job? i feel like it's too late to apply to degree apprenticeships but its not like they offer any in my subject anyway, not sure if i want to take a year out and think about my choices either, but i dont want to feel behind whilst everyone excels, im stuck and i dont have much time to decide before 2023 student finance deadline.
Original post by treematrie
not really sure how to feel about student loans, i dont think i am ready to commit all this time and money into a degree im not sure i want, i do like my subject but can i really do it at the degree level at a top uk uni? it feels strange because i haven't always been a super intelligent or an academic person so im not sure how i'll respond to uni life, am i ready to take out a 30k loan plus interest on a degree that doesnt ensure you a job? i feel like it's too late to apply to degree apprenticeships but its not like they offer any in my subject anyway, not sure if i want to take a year out and think about my choices either, but i dont want to feel behind whilst everyone excels, im stuck and i dont have much time to decide before 2023 student finance deadline.

You could still apply for student finance by the deadline as it will only be paid out if you enrol on a university course, which you won't be able to do until your place is confirmed on results day. This will give you time to decide if university is for you or not. In the meantime, I recommend you read the following article:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-2023/
Original post by treematrie

Hi there,
I definitely appreciate that this can be a difficult decision to make with lots of different factors. Something that may be effective in helping you decide is visiting a few university open days to speak to current students about their experiences and so that you can discuss any concerns you may have. Some university's are also able to tell you after what period of time the majority of their graduates had found a job so this might be something worth asking to those universities you may be interested in. I have also heard that taking a gap year can be really beneficial to help potential university students decide what they want to do going forwards and gain some valuable life experience. It might be helpful to create a list of why you are interested in university and why potentially not and see why side you are leaning towards.

I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,
I definitely appreciate that this can be a difficult decision to make with lots of different factors. Something that may be effective in helping you decide is visiting a few university open days to speak to current students about their experiences and so that you can discuss any concerns you may have. Some university's are also able to tell you after what period of time the majority of their graduates had found a job so this might be something worth asking to those universities you may be interested in. I have also heard that taking a gap year can be really beneficial to help potential university students decide what they want to do going forwards and gain some valuable life experience. It might be helpful to create a list of why you are interested in university and why potentially not and see why side you are leaning towards.

I hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

thank you very much, ive thought about it. ive just gone ahead and applied, if change my mind ill cancel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending