The Student Room Group

Final project worries

So I’ve been making a simple app for my final project in university it’s very simple just cause I didn’t want to risk doing something super complex and just have a really stressful time doing it . My supervisor has said it’s okay and the progress has been good. But I’m starting to get the idea this may not be the case I don’t know if it’s my anxiety or paranoia but I feel like she doesn’t really get the idea or thinks it’s not good enough and I’m worried my final grade will be bad because of this. Her feedback hasn’t really been great since it’s just been me talking about my idea at the supervision meetings and her just nodding and saying Yh that sounds good or whatever.I spoke to other supervisors and the feedback I got was the idea could be developed a little bit more which really shocked me because I thought it was okay I’ve started to panic as I don’t really feel like I have time to develop it more as I have to write my report and I’m in the last stages of finishing the app. I’m just annoyed my supervisor didn’t give this kind of feedback I guess. I’m also starting to feel kind of discouraged and depressed I’m just worried all that hard work would not pay off.
(edited 11 months ago)
It's aways difficult to read between the lines on threads like this, but here's my take for what it's worth.

You're using words like "okay" and "good" interchangeably but in academic-speak they usually mean quite different things. "Okay" could mean anything from 40-59 but "good" is definitely better than that, 60-68'ish in my book. So if what you're saying is accurate, it sounds like some aspects of your projects are "okay" and some are "good" - and your final mark will probably reflect that.

From what you've written, it sounds like you've had some "lukewarm" reactions to your project. You yourself acknowledge a lack of ambition in the project (you say you played it safe) and given that approach, it might be expected that you would produce a well- developed project - instead you have had feedback that it could have been "developed a little more".

So now you are wrapping things up and writing a report which presumably gives you an opportunity to critique your project.
If you can do a decent critique (and make sure you revisit the project assessment criteria when you do this) then you should pick up marks. If there is still time to have a frank conversation with your supervisor, then I would.

You should also do what you can with the time left to make the most of your project.
(edited 1 year ago)
Similar situation happened to me. But I am on the line between achieving a 1st or a 2:1. A 1st would get me a fully funded masters scholarship, and one of my final grades is a 2:2 despite having followed the feedback comments/guidance and going repeatedly for feedback. The last feedback before submission only included a few complaints about grammar and I’m unable to see final grade feedback on turnitin. I’m not sure what to do because I needed one more 1st to get a 1st class and I feel cheated.
Reply 3
Feedback on Turnitin can be delivered in a couple of ways. Either embedded in the assessment document itself or pasted into a feedback box. It should be there so if you can't see it, you need to raise this with the Module Leader.

It's difficult to advise if the bigger issue about feedback from the outside. Your take is that you got feedback and acted on it therefore your mark should have been higher. On face value this makes sense. Another way of looking at it is that the feedback sought and acted upon did improve your mark, just not as much as you were hoping for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending