The Student Room Group

Calculating Final Grade

How would you calculate the final year grade if the grade in second year is worth 30% overall and the grade in third year is worth 70%.

I averaged 57.59% in second year. I'm just looking to see what I would need to achieve in third year for a 2:1

Thank you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DarthCookie
How would you calculate the final year grade if the grade in second year is worth 30% overall and the grade in third year is worth 70%.

I averaged 57.59% in second year. I'm just looking to see what I would need to achieve in third year for a 2:1

Thank you.

61.03 will give you an average of 60 overall. Check your degree regulations because near misses (eg 59+) can get upgraded in certain circumstances.
Original post by ageshallnot
61.03 will give you an average of 60 overall. Check your degree regulations because near misses (eg 59+) can get upgraded in certain circumstances.

Thank you - how did you work that out? I've checked and it looks like a 2:1 covers from 59.5
Thank you - how did you work that out? I've checked and it looks like a 2:1 covers from 59.5

There's a formula that @DataVenia is good at explaining. I just stick a couple of numbers in a calculator! 😆

That's just rounding up. Is there an alternative method of classification to the simple "achieve X % and you get a Y level degree"?
(edited 1 year ago)

Thank you.

Assuming no rounding (because different unis handle that differently), you'd final percentage would be given my:
FinalPercentage = (SecondYearPercentage x 0.30) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)

We know SecondYearPercentage is 57.59 and we know we want FinalPercentage to be 60 (minimum) for a 2:1, so that gives us:

60 = (57.59 x 0.30) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)
60 = 17.277 + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)
60 - 17.277 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70
42.7227 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70
42.7227 / 0.07 = ThirdYearPercentage
61.03 = ThirdYearPercentage (to 2 decimal places)

As @ageshallnot suggest, sometimes unis have more than one way of calculating your overall grade. So do check your Academic Regulations (or mention your university and we can check).

You'll note that I've not factored in your "it looks like a 2:1 covers from 59.5" comment; feel free to replace 60 with 59.5 in the calculation above.
Original post by DataVenia
Assuming no rounding (because different unis handle that differently), you'd final percentage would be given my:
FinalPercentage = (SecondYearPercentage x 0.30) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)

We know SecondYearPercentage is 57.59 and we know we want FinalPercentage to be 60 (minimum) for a 2:1, so that gives us:

60 = (57.59 x 0.30) + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)
60 = 17.277 + (ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70)
60 - 17.277 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70
42.7227 = ThirdYearPercentage x 0.70
42.7227 / 0.07 = ThirdYearPercentage
61.03 = ThirdYearPercentage (to 2 decimal places)

As @ageshallnot suggest, sometimes unis have more than one way of calculating your overall grade. So do check your Academic Regulations (or mention your university and we can check).

You'll note that I've not factored in your "it looks like a 2:1 covers from 59.5" comment; feel free to replace 60 with 59.5 in the calculation above.

Thank you for breaking this down so succinctly! If my module grades thus far in third year are Module 1: 40% Module 2: 50% would I still be able to achieve the 61 overall? I've still got my final year project which the module is worth 40 credits on. and another module I'm waiting on.
Original post by ageshallnot
There's a formula that @DataVenia is good at explaining. I just stick a couple of numbers in a calculator! 😆

That's just rounding up. Is there an alternative method of classification to the simple "achieve X % and you get a Y level degree"?

Not as far as I'm aware no. That's just how my handbook stated is achieve X% get Y level degree
Not as far as I'm aware no. That's just how my handbook stated is achieve X% get Y level degree

Ok, there are a few like that. Which uni is it?
Thank you for breaking this down so succinctly! If my module grades thus far in third year are Module 1: 40% Module 2: 50% would I still be able to achieve the 61 overall? I've still got my final year project which the module is worth 40 credits on. and another module I'm waiting on.

Does your third year break-down like this module-wise:

Module 1: 40% (how may credits?)
Module 2: 50% (how may credits?)
Module 3: "I'm waiting on" (how may credits?)
Project: 40 credits

So three modules plus a final year project. Is that right? You're clearly quite far behind your target of 61% this year. It's impossible to calculate how well you'd need to do on the outstanding module and project to get to 61% average without knowing how many credits each module is worth.
Does your third year break-down like this module-wise:

Module 1: 40% (how may credits?)
Module 2: 50% (how may credits?)
Module 3: "I'm waiting on" (how may credits?)
Project: 40 credits

So three modules plus a final year project. Is that right? You're clearly quite far behind your target of 61% this year. It's impossible to calculate how well you'd need to do on the outstanding module and project to get to 61% average without knowing how many credits each module is worth.

Each module is worth 20 credits bar the final project.

Module 3: the grade is 55 just waiting to take the exam.
Final project poster was 65% worth 10%

Submit reply
Final project poster was 65% worth 10%

Is "Final project poster" part of "final year project", and represents 10% of the mark for "final year project"?

I've still got my final year project which the module is worth 40 credits....

Each module is worth 20 credits bar the final project.

So your third year is comprised of a "final project" worth 40 credits and three modules worth 20 credits each. So your third year is worth a total of 100 credits (40 + 3x20). Every undergraduate degree I've seen before is 120 credits. But yours is 100 credits, right?

If the above is correct, then we can summarise this as:

Module 1: 40% / 20 credits
Module 2: 50% / 20 credits
Module 3: 55% / 20 credits (but "waiting to take the exam", so this may go up or down)
Final Project: Unknown / 40 credits (but the poster, worth 10% of the final year project, was graded at 65%)

Let me know if I've got that summary right before I do the math.
Is "Final project poster" part of "final year project", and represents 10% of the mark for "final year project"?

So your third year is comprised of a "final project" worth 40 credits and three modules worth 20 credits each. So your third year is worth a total of 100 credits (40 + 3x20). Every undergraduate degree I've seen before is 120 credits. But yours is 100 credits, right?

If the above is correct, then we can summarise this as:

Module 1: 40% / 20 credits
Module 2: 50% / 20 credits
Module 3: 55% / 20 credits (but "waiting to take the exam", so this may go up or down)
Final Project: Unknown / 40 credits (but the poster, worth 10% of the final year project, was graded at 65%)

Let me know if I've got that summary right before I do the math.

Yeah you have the summary right :smile:
Yeah you have the summary right :smile:

Great. Your third year grade (which we need to be 61%) can be calculated as:

(Module1Percentage x Module1Credits) + (Module2Percentage x Module2Credits) + (Module3Percentage x Module3Credits) + (FinalProjectPercentage + FinalProjectCredits) / (Module1Credits + Module2Credits + Module3Credits + FinalProjectCredits)

If your Module 3 mark stays at 55% (i.e. the exam doesn't cause it to increase or decrease) and if the 65% for your final year project's post reflects the percentage for the final year project as a whole, we get the following:

(40 x 20) + (50 x 20) + (55 x 20) + (65 x 40) / (20+20+20+40) = 55 percent :frown:

So, let's assume the exam in Module 3 goes so well that it pulls your Module 3 percentage up to 65%, and your final year project turns out to be better than the poster might have implied, and you get 75% for it:

(40 x 20) + (50 x 20) + (65 x 20) + (75 x 40) / (20+20+20+40) = 61 percent :smile:

So a 2:1 is still possible, but it's not going to be terribly easy. Does a 65% in Module 3 and a 75% in the Final Project seem achievable?
Great. Your third year grade (which we need to be 61%) can be calculated as:

(Module1Percentage x Module1Credits) + (Module2Percentage x Module2Credits) + (Module3Percentage x Module3Credits) + (FinalProjectPercentage + FinalProjectCredits) / (Module1Credits + Module2Credits + Module3Credits + FinalProjectCredits)

If your Module 3 mark stays at 55% (i.e. the exam doesn't cause it to increase or decrease) and if the 65% for your final year project's post reflects the percentage for the final year project as a whole, we get the following:

(40 x 20) + (50 x 20) + (55 x 20) + (65 x 40) / (20+20+20+40) = 55 percent :frown:

So, let's assume the exam in Module 3 goes so well that it pulls your Module 3 percentage up to 65%, and your final year project turns out to be better than the poster might have implied, and you get 75% for it:

(40 x 20) + (50 x 20) + (65 x 20) + (75 x 40) / (20+20+20+40) = 61 percent :smile:

So a 2:1 is still possible, but it's not going to be terribly easy. Does a 65% in Module 3 and a 75% in the Final Project seem achievable?

Perfect so if the exams do not go well ideally it would end up with 2:2 (worst case scenario)

That's what I'm hoping that 75% seems achievable for module 3 and the final project. I did have an exceptional circumstances in place for year two would that be taking into account when marking?
Perfect so if the exams do not go well ideally it would end up with 2:2 (worst case scenario)

That's what I'm hoping that 75% seems achievable for module 3 and the final project. I did have an exceptional circumstances in place for year two would that be taking into account when marking?

Agreed. If the Module 3 exams and final project go well, you could hit a 2:1 - but if they don't, it'll be a 2:2.

I don't know whether they'd take last year's exceptional circumstances into account, although I would imagine not given that those circumstances were last year rather than this year. However, you'd need to check with the uni itself to be sure.

Good luck! :crossedf:
Reply 15
Agreed. If the Module 3 exams and final project go well, you could hit a 2:1 - but if they don't, it'll be a 2:2.

I don't know whether they'd take last year's exceptional circumstances into account, although I would imagine not given that those circumstances were last year rather than this year. However, you'd need to check with the uni itself to be sure.

Good luck! :crossedf:

Thank you for this.

Just thought I'd let you know it's looking like a 2:2 I think.

I hit the target for one of the exam's getting 67,
however the dissertation was not so good getting 56.
The final exam was 52
but it looks like my university can do a mark profile based on 80 credits at level 6 below the aggregate mark. "where a student achieves an aggregate mark which is not more than 3 marks below a classification boundary".
Thank you for this.

Just thought I'd let you know it's looking like a 2:2 I think.

I hit the target for one of the exam's getting 67,
however the dissertation was not so good getting 56.
The final exam was 52
but it looks like my university can do a mark profile based on 80 credits at level 6 below the aggregate mark. "where a student achieves an aggregate mark which is not more than 3 marks below a classification boundary".

Thanks for the update. A 2:2 was always the most likely outcome, to be fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending