The Student Room Group

Computer Networks student, stuck

I'm writing to say what 3rd year is like, I'm current at the start of my 2nd semester of year 2, 1st year wasn't that great but managed to pass everything just about, this year 1st semester was absolutely awful, don't know if I'll have even passed and I really really didn't enjoy it at all, basically didn't cope with it well at all. This semester module wise seems to be better than 1st semester, but in all truth I'm not mega interested in the course as a whole, like its ok but I never passed anything really over 60% except 2 modules in year 1 but that was online from home multiple choice, I have to decide what I'm doing after this semester, I've really got 3 options. 1st is to somehow get a placement really by june I think it is, eventhough location wise I'm restricted a lot, and no real IT related placements have come up where I can make it to, 2nd option I could do is to leave and find a job or apprenticeship either in a similar field or try something new, 3rd option to go to final year and see if I can somehow get through it especially with the final year project dissertation thing. My main question is that for someone like me, what can I even do in this situation, I'm not the smartest at all in my course and some things I just don't understand, while some things I can grasp the ideas, like programming I just can't get no matter how much I've tried, I do try as much as I can eventhough I live 1 hour ish away from uni itself. I just don't want to go for final year and fail and waste that year and go like another 12-13 thousand in dept and no degree. Would be good if anyone who's doing 3rd year right now can say how hard they find it compared to 2nd year, what modules there doing and what optional ones they were given, even if it's not exactly the same to my uni, and then what's the project like and having to write and make that with another module as well (my big main worry about continuing for final year, as I'm not great at the course in general). And obviously the fact my parents want me to do well, so try to push me to go for final year just so I can say I have a degree even if I don't do anything IT related after, but I'm just worried over the choice ill have to make in like 3-4 month and I've never been in a situation like this before, It's just the uncertainty of the situation and the fact I don't know what I want to do as a career really yet (I have looked for over 2 years at careers), so the fact I have to make the decision soon is really worrying me, even doing this semester its all I can think about as I do get a lot of anxiety and stress over the decision
Have you talked to your tutor about how you’re feeling and asked about what options are available to you?
You might be able to switch degree still to shift to something more tailored to your strengths, or there might be additional support available that you’re not using to help you with topics that you struggle with. Worst case scenario I would always strongly recommend that you suspend your studies instead of withdrawing. Don’t close the door completely on your degree - the world outside university may not be as great as you’re imagining (especially if you’re limited geographically for work).

If you can it would be really helpful to finish and pass this year so even if you do leave you can get an award to recognise your work so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending