The Student Room Group

Repeating second year

I am near the end of my second year and have struggled a lot with mental health etc. I was hoping to pass the year and try to battle through my final year, but I recently decided it was best for me to repeat my second year so I can do the work properly, now that I have a better handle on my health. This will also allow my final year to be block learning which is a much better learning style for me because of my ADHD.
I have one more project deadline coming up and I keep stressing over doing the work despite the fact I want to repeat the year.
I have failed a few projects from a lack of submission and low-quality work which was expected but I do enjoy some of the work and don't really want to just give up now after spending a lot of time on it.
My question is basically... Is it better for me to not hand in my final project work, or hand in the bad work I have done if I want to apply to repeat the year?

One of my lecturers emailed me about my failed module and said he deliberately didn't give my work an official mark (logged it as unsubmitted) because he knew I wanted to repeat and said it would make it easier for me to apply, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.
I have a meeting with my personal tutor and course leader soon but I can't take my mind off this and I don't want to keep stressing about it before my meeting.

If anyone has experience in this or knows anything about repeating, I'd love some advice or info.

Thanks!
Original post by lara_croft_4
I am near the end of my second year and have struggled a lot with mental health etc. I was hoping to pass the year and try to battle through my final year, but I recently decided it was best for me to repeat my second year so I can do the work properly, now that I have a better handle on my health. This will also allow my final year to be block learning which is a much better learning style for me because of my ADHD.
I have one more project deadline coming up and I keep stressing over doing the work despite the fact I want to repeat the year.
I have failed a few projects from a lack of submission and low-quality work which was expected but I do enjoy some of the work and don't really want to just give up now after spending a lot of time on it.
My question is basically... Is it better for me to not hand in my final project work, or hand in the bad work I have done if I want to apply to repeat the year?

One of my lecturers emailed me about my failed module and said he deliberately didn't give my work an official mark (logged it as unsubmitted) because he knew I wanted to repeat and said it would make it easier for me to apply, but I'm not entirely sure what that means.
I have a meeting with my personal tutor and course leader soon but I can't take my mind off this and I don't want to keep stressing about it before my meeting.

If anyone has experience in this or knows anything about repeating, I'd love some advice or info.

Thanks!

They'll kick you out eventually
I think you need to take some proper advice on this as soon as possible.
It's my understanding that you can't just decide to repeat an academic year, otherwise any student who did badly in a particular academic year could simply re-do it to get better marks. We know that just doesn't happen.
If the Board of Examiners offers you the chance repeat the year, there will be stipulations. For example, marks already attained at a pass level may carry over, and other assessments, including non-submission and fails, may be capped. Obviously, if you have extentuating circumstances accepted, any outstanding work will be open marked.
You will also, presumably, be offered a chance to submit work over the summer. If you don't do this, you will probably need to resubmit your extenuating circumstances application to ensure that modules taken in the repeat setting aren't capped.
I can't advise on whether or not to submit the project you have mentioned. It's too complicated a situation to give reliable advice.
Original post by cheadle
I think you need to take some proper advice on this as soon as possible.
It's my understanding that you can't just decide to repeat an academic year, otherwise any student who did badly in a particular academic year could simply re-do it to get better marks. We know that just doesn't happen.
If the Board of Examiners offers you the chance repeat the year, there will be stipulations. For example, marks already attained at a pass level may carry over, and other assessments, including non-submission and fails, may be capped. Obviously, if you have extentuating circumstances accepted, any outstanding work will be open marked.
You will also, presumably, be offered a chance to submit work over the summer. If you don't do this, you will probably need to resubmit your extenuating circumstances application to ensure that modules taken in the repeat setting aren't capped.
I can't advise on whether or not to submit the project you have mentioned. It's too complicated a situation to give reliable advice.

Thanks for such a quick response!

I understand there are certain rules and things I will have to follow etc but I have been talking with my course leader about repeating for a few months now, and he was the one to suggest it as a possibility for me.
I have most likely failed the year as I've used the completed project marks to calculate a rough end of year score (which was below 40%) so I think that only leaves me with the options of resubmissions or repeating the year.
I would like for people to understand that I am not wanting to repeat the year simply to get a better mark. It is because this year I havent been able to participate in lectures etc as much as expected and so I have not gained everything I should've from this year. Not only did my self study work suffer, but I have not understood the tools and processes needed for me to succeed in my final year. By the way I study Furniture and Product Design so I need to know how to do certain things to do even the bare minimum required in year 3. There are also safety aspects with workshop things - I have not used all the machinery or attended some workshop tutorials which are necessary for final projects.

My meeting is next week so I have'nt got long to wait for the official word. I just hoped someone had some advice or been through similar to help put my mind at ease.
I wasn't suggesting that was your motivation, simply that repeating the year is something that is offered to students by an Exam Board rather than a personal choice. The good news is it sounds like you have been getting appropriate and reliable advice from academic staff and that you understand the pros and cons. I can't really add anything to what I've already said, except to say that if you have extenuating circumstances with supporting evidence, to make the most of them to help you through the process.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Update:

So I was advised by multiple lecturers and my course leader to not hand in my final project.
However now I have two options to repeat the year…

1. Take a leave of absence with the intention to return in 23/24 to repeat the year. However my student finance might want some of my loan money back depending on my last day of attendance (Jan 30th) which I can’t afford.
Or
2. Wait till summer. Apply to repeat the year due to serious extenuating circumstances that are judged by the panel. If I’m not accepted, I risk losing my student status, have to find a new place to live etc

To explain my extenuating circumstances - the gist is that my mental health has been the worst in my entire life since I joined uni. I have gone through multiple traumatic experiences that recently I have been reminded of through more traumatic experiences.
Last year I was in an awful flat, they were doing drugs, partying all the time, leaving the kitchen a state and I lived in my room. I became close with A and L when they realised they were doing all that stuff to avoid rejection and decided to leave it. A later on was raped and I had to help pick up the pieces. But she didn’t want to tell her family or uni or go to the hospital so there was very little I could do. A few weeks after I heard her leave the flat at 3am, I was worried so followed her. I hadn’t eaten or slept in hours and I was in my PJs bare foot. I followed her to the city’s river where I had to physically restrain her from jumping in. And while she was fighting me I had to call 999 who said the situation wasn’t serious enough to send help. Anyway I finally got the police and ambulance to come and take over and spent 48 hours in the hospital with her.
After that she seemed to slowly improve and tell her family and uni so she got the professional help. However my mental health got worse from the memory of it and still having to be careful with her.
Fast forward to this year. I read an article about a man at home who was missing for a week and saw it was my best friends dad. He was found 2 weeks after going missing, in the local forest dead. (He committed suicide). I went home for the holiday where I mourned him and tried to stand by my best friend but it was tough because none of us saw it coming.
Once I returned to uni i thought everything would go back to normal and things would get better but unfortunately L from last year messaged me asking “how do you not jump?” In reference to the river. He then sent a pic of the river that looked like he was in the river. I managed to identify where he was from the background of the pic and immediately went to uni security who called the police. While they were searching the river, I tried calling L and messaging people who knew him asking what might’ve triggered this. He was of his meds, and found out a week ago that he had been reported to the police about the rape he committed to N. FYI I wasn’t friends with him after I found out about the rape but I still had fond memories and he was ill and needed help. Luckily police found him alive 3 hours after the message and took him home. But he messaged me again saying he was going to try again. I reported it to the uni and just hoped he would be okay. I haven’t heard anything since.
So as you can imagine, I am not the most stable person. I constantly worry that anyone that gets close to me is going to kill themself and I worry about my own sanity and tend to think about my previous attempts and if I had succeeded I wouldn’t have gone through all of this.

Back to the point of this post.
I am scared my circumstances aren’t serious enough because I am some how able to function somewhat okay and that the panel won’t understand how well I can hide how I am doing.
I also don’t know which path to take or if there’s anything I can do to have more confidence in my ability to repeat second year.
Reply 6
1. Take a leave of absence with the intention to return in 23/24 to repeat the year. However my student finance might want some of my loan money back depending on my last day of attendance (Jan 30th) which I can’t afford.
This is the most straightforward route - can you find out (e.g from the SU) how this would be calculated?
Or
2. Wait till summer. Apply to repeat the year due to serious extenuating circumstances that are judged by the panel. If I’m not accepted, I risk losing my student status, have to find a new place to live etc.

The riskier route. I think writing your EC application will be a bit of a challenge unless you have lots of supporting evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending