The Student Room Group

A-levels

Is it worth doing an A-level I don’t have a gcse in but a genuine interest in, such as Psychology. I am not doing a gcse in it but rather I just have an interest for it, and I am wondering if I should explore alternative options in subjects im interested in rather than classic A-level combo’s or just solely what I am good at. Replies are much appreciated.
Original post by Theunderdog101
Is it worth doing an A-level I don’t have a gcse in but a genuine interest in, such as Psychology. I am not doing a gcse in it but rather I just have an interest for it, and I am wondering if I should explore alternative options in subjects im interested in rather than classic A-level combo’s or just solely what I am good at. Replies are much appreciated.

There are quite a few subjects which are commonly offered at A level but rarely offered at GCSE. Examples would be Psychology, Economics and Business. So those who choose these A levels will normally be in the same position as you - not knowing whether they'll be any good at a subject, or even if they'll enjoy it, but choose it anyway.

If you want to take Psychology, or other "alternative options" then go for it.

I would advise, however, that you give some thought to what you might want to do after A levels. If that's potentially university, then you should be aware that many courses will have entry requirements which mandate some A level subjects, or sometimes a range of A level subjects. So if you go too "experimental" with your A level choices, you may restrict your degree options in a way which you'd rather not.

So if that's a concern for you, check out some university entry requirements now so you don't get a surprise later.

Quick Reply

Latest