The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs York

Hey folks, I've got an offer to study MSc Environment and Development at the University of Edinburgh and MSc Environmental Economics and Environmental Management at the University of York. While I think York's course seems to be more practically oriented, Edinburgh's course seems a bit theoretical with some optional courses that impart analytical skills as well. Overall, Edinburgh's reputation is much better than York and has better employability rates. So, I'm a bit confused. Which one should I go with?
Where would you rather live? Edinburgh is a bit more expensive, but closer to the actual city than York's campus is. You're going to be there for I'm assuming 4 years, so which one would you rather spend your time in? Have you visited either?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Whenever I see this kind of thread, I always just say one thing: are you poor, or not?

I came from a poor family in England and Edi slapped me up with £7,250 bursary on top of the £9k+ maintenance loan. Lotta cash!

Obviously a very minute number of folk have that concern, but double check if you are a) English and b) Qualify for the bursary, because that bursary is a big difference in the quality of life at Uni.
Reply 3
Original post by kefuffle
Where would you rather live? Edinburgh is a bit more expensive, but closer to the actual city than York's campus is. You're going to be there for I'm assuming 4 years, so which one would you rather spend your time in? Have you visited either?

Thanks for your response, @kefuffle. I am an Indian and haven't visited either city. In fact, I haven't even been to the UK.yet. More than the city, I am concerned about the quality of the courses and whether they impart skills that are sought-after in the industry.
Reply 4
Original post by Callicious
Whenever I see this kind of thread, I always just say one thing: are you poor, or not?

I came from a poor family in England and Edi slapped me up with £7,250 bursary on top of the £9k+ maintenance loan. Lotta cash!

Obviously a very minute number of folk have that concern, but double check if you are a) English and b) Qualify for the bursary, because that bursary is a big difference in the quality of life at Uni.

I am from India, so I am certainly poor by UK standards. Do you know any good bursaries that I can apply to?
Original post by rad_hari
Thanks for your response, @kefuffle. I am an Indian and haven't visited either city. In fact, I haven't even been to the UK.yet. More than the city, I am concerned about the quality of the courses and whether they impart skills that are sought-after in the industry.

Edinburgh certainly tends to be a more highly regarded university. York is still very well known, but Edinburgh has a lot of international reknown and is usually higher in the UK university rankings. If the skills you have from Edinburgh are slightly less sought-after, you're more likely to make up for that with the prestige and their employability rates. You will lean practical skills in your employment if you don't at Edinburgh, most likely?
Original post by rad_hari
I am from India, so I am certainly poor by UK standards. Do you know any good bursaries that I can apply to?

Hi, another Indian here interested in same courses and universities. Which one did you choose ultimately?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending