The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Psychology Paper 2 (7182/2) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

P approach relies on scientific, objective methodology

E cognitive psychologists employ methods such as lab studies and brain scans (fMRI, PET) as seen in Tulving's study into memory which are free from any human influence so produce reliable, objective data

E this has enabled the two fields of biology and cognitive psychology to come together (cognitive neuroscience)

L this in turn increases the scientific credibility of psychology + reliability

P approach is based on machine reductionism

E places all focus on likening the mind to a computer

- this ignores the influence of human emotion and motivation on the cognitive system

for instance, research has found that human memory may be affected by emotional factors, such as influence of anxiety on EWT: but these factors are not considered within the information-processing model

E this results in an oversimplification of human cognitive processing, as seen in computer models such as Sophia by Hansen robotics who lacks real emotions

L reduces the explanatory power of the cognitive approach

P approach is less determinist than other approaches

E cognitive approach is based on soft determinism:

- recognises that our cognitive system can only operate within the limits of what we know, but that we are free to think before responding to a stimulus

E this contrasts the behaviourist approach which suggests that we are passive 'slaves' to our environment and lack free will

- so cog. approach takes a more flexible and reasonable 'interactionist' position than the hard determinism suggested by the behaviourist approach

L increases usefulness of approach as it is more in line with our subjective sense of free will

P issues with application to everyday life

E most research done by cognitive psychologists relies on artificial stimuli

such as tests of memory that involve recall word lists (eg Baddeley)

E not representative of real life experiences so cannot be generalised

- approach also makes excessive use of abstract concepts such as schema thus it often suffers from being too theoretical

L therefore research on cognitive processes may lack external validity
Original post by Elsieviolet
GUYS does anyone have a plan for a 16 marker on the cognitive approach, would be very very appreciated
Reply 61

Thankyou, really useful!
Reply 62
Anyone else juts completely run out of time for the 16 markers? Could only attempt 1
Reply 63
Original post by docxo
Anyone else juts completely run out of time for the 16 markers? Could only attempt 1

I did the 16 markers first but was only able to do 2 PEELs for them one of the
and I missed 2 four markers and only did half of the 8 marker :frown:
Reply 64
(Original post by rostom1680)https://quizlet.com/gb/772506908/approaches-flash-cards/?funnelUUID=613528df-396d-4cdb-b47b-dbf76f5c396a

my flashcards with everything + 4 evals for every approach :smile:
OMG I LOVE YOU
Reply 65
Anyone know what's going to happen about the paper 1 leak?
Reply 66
Original post by docxo

Do you think they’ll consider lowering grade boundaries?
Original post by Bowlby
Do you think they’ll consider lowering grade boundaries?

deffo not ... they will disqualify anyone who had access to the paper or watched that tiktok before the exam - 9am
Reply 68
Original post by docxo

ill copy and paste what my psych teacher said

There has been a rumour circulating that the paper 1 that you sat today was leaked. I want you all to be aware that there has been no official statement from AQA as of yet, and I have spent the last hour or so looking for the "leaked" paper. I could not find this on multiple social media platforms, apart from posts from after the exam.

I believe these rumours were started by some students who were unprepared for the exam in the hope that there will be a resit or some other arrangement. You have nothing to worry about, even if this is the case. AQA has made it clear before the start of the exam period that they will not penalise students for situations out of their control.
Reply 69
Original post by siahateskwl
deffo not ... they will disqualify anyone who had access to the paper or watched that tiktok before the exam - 9am

no they wont... how will they know who watched the tt bruh
there was a leak???
Reply 71
yhhh
wth how am I only hearing about this now:bawling:
Original post by rostom1680
p approach relies on scientific, objective methodology

e cognitive psychologists employ methods such as lab studies and brain scans (fmri, pet) as seen in tulving's study into memory which are free from any human influence so produce reliable, objective data

e this has enabled the two fields of biology and cognitive psychology to come together (cognitive neuroscience)

l this in turn increases the scientific credibility of psychology + reliability

p approach is based on machine reductionism

e places all focus on likening the mind to a computer

- this ignores the influence of human emotion and motivation on the cognitive system

for instance, research has found that human memory may be affected by emotional factors, such as influence of anxiety on ewt: But these factors are not considered within the information-processing model

e this results in an oversimplification of human cognitive processing, as seen in computer models such as sophia by hansen robotics who lacks real emotions

l reduces the explanatory power of the cognitive approach

p approach is less determinist than other approaches

e cognitive approach is based on soft determinism:

- recognises that our cognitive system can only operate within the limits of what we know, but that we are free to think before responding to a stimulus

e this contrasts the behaviourist approach which suggests that we are passive 'slaves' to our environment and lack free will

- so cog. Approach takes a more flexible and reasonable 'interactionist' position than the hard determinism suggested by the behaviourist approach

l increases usefulness of approach as it is more in line with our subjective sense of free will

p issues with application to everyday life

e most research done by cognitive psychologists relies on artificial stimuli

such as tests of memory that involve recall word lists (eg baddeley)

e not representative of real life experiences so cannot be generalised

- approach also makes excessive use of abstract concepts such as schema thus it often suffers from being too theoretical

l therefore research on cognitive processes may lack external validity

thank you <33333
Reply 74
Original post by anon-.-
How do i revise research methods

exam questions mark REPEAT
until u do all of them really, no other way
Original post by asiablaccc
no they wont... how will they know who watched the tt bruh

you do know all your data is stored by tiktok and the government so they can easily track ip addresses
Original post by asiablaccc
ill copy and paste what my psych teacher said

There has been a rumour circulating that the paper 1 that you sat today was leaked. I want you all to be aware that there has been no official statement from AQA as of yet, and I have spent the last hour or so looking for the "leaked" paper. I could not find this on multiple social media platforms, apart from posts from after the exam.

I believe these rumours were started by some students who were unprepared for the exam in the hope that there will be a resit or some other arrangement. You have nothing to worry about, even if this is the case. AQA has made it clear before the start of the exam period that they will not penalise students for situations out of their control.

why’s everyone saying it’s fake if you call AQA up they’ll tell you it’s real. The leak was only on one tiktok account and obviously the person deleted the post (and their account) as soon as people started saying something. why are people so arrogant. Not that many people viewed the tiktok so it won’t affect results too much but they did. Sick of people saying it was ‘bad students’ spreading a rumour, leaks r common.

I saw the account and post before it got taken down. I’ve attached proof.

There’s no point worrying about this though they know about it so something will be done, focus on paper 2 now.
(edited 11 months ago)
anyone else really scared for this one? I feel like I did so bad in paper 1 I need to redeem myself
with revising research methods: this is what i did for paper one
i copied and pasted the spec onto a word document and made each point like content analysis or randomisation, a bullet point in the list
i identified the ones that i didn't know and topics that have been predicted and highlighted them and revised those first
once i had revised them, i copied the spec list into a random name generator and would test myself on each one, trying to identify an evaluation point as well.
if i couldn't answer the question i would watch a video (psych boost) but NOT MAKE NOTES, after the video had finished i then blurted onto a piece of paper about the topic. then check the video to see if its correct . if it comes up again and i forget it again i would do the same but write it on a flashcard as well.
seems like a long method but it was soooooooo helpful for paper 1
(edited 11 months ago)
Predictions for biopsychology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending