The Student Room Group

Why does the second marker that mark FYP give a really big diff from first marker?

I found out my FYP was marked by an alumni student(?) from my uni, and he gave a big difference in grade(56%) to the first marker, my module team leader (70%). Is this okay?
Original post by sosmehe1p
I found out my FYP was marked by an alumni student(?) from my uni, and he gave a big difference in grade(56%) to the first marker, my module team leader (70%). Is this okay?

Probably a difference in skill and experience, some disagreement between markers is inherently a factor when using real people rather than a tick box and multiple choice tests. At my institution a difference of more than 10% would trigger a review or a requirement for the markers to get together to discuss.
Reply 2
These two marks cross three grade bandings which signals something isn't right.
Experienced markers frequently grade within 5% of each other as they are marking against strict assessment criteria and over time marking within the same team becomes quite similar.
To me, a gap this wide suggests that the less experienced marker is the one who may be out of kilter. Meeting half way in the middle is not necessarily the solution - a fresh eye should be brought in to review this before it goes forward for internal moderation.

Has your final mark been decided upon yet?
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cheadle
These two marks cross three grade bandings which signals something isn't right.
Experienced markers frequently grade within 5% of each other as they are marking against strict assessment criteria and over time marking within the same team becomes quite similar.
To me, a gap this wide suggests that the less experienced marker is the one who may be out of kilter. Meeting half way in the middle is not necessarily the solution - a fresh eye should be brought in to review this before it goes forward for internal moderation.

Has your final mark been decided upon yet?

yes I end up getting 69% for my whole degree and got 59.5 for my FYP
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Probably a difference in skill and experience, some disagreement between markers is inherently a factor when using real people rather than a tick box and multiple choice tests. At my institution a difference of more than 10% would trigger a review or a requirement for the markers to get together to discuss.

I looked up on my uni academic regulation, they mention that FYP doesn't need a external marker
Original post by sosmehe1p

Hi there

Based on what you have said, I would suggest contacting your fyp supervisor and discussing the possibility of having your fyp remarked or moderated as there should not have been such a large gap between the two markers. There is always a possibility of getting a harsh marker but overall the two markers should not have such a large gap between their marks. The difference between a first and 2:2 is extremely large which suggests that either someone marked you too harshly or someone marked was too lenient. It it completely up to you whether you wish to get it remarked or not but please be aware that as much as your grade may increase, there is also a possibility of it being lowered. Hope this makes sense

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Reply 6
I'm surprised that the second mark has carried greater influence than the first. While an external marker may not be required on a L6 final project (also unusual imo), it is still possible that a third marker has looked at the work. I think that you have ended up close to the 2/1 1st boundary is unfortunate as it leaves you in the position of wondering if the right thing has been done. In the end, though if the correct procedures have been followed in producing your fyp mark, there are no grounds for appeal. Have you been given adequate feedback on why you were awarded that mark?
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Wednesday

How can I bring that up to who?
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there

Based on what you have said, I would suggest contacting your fyp supervisor and discussing the possibility of having your fyp remarked or moderated as there should not have been such a large gap between the two markers. There is always a possibility of getting a harsh marker but overall the two markers should not have such a large gap between their marks. The difference between a first and 2:2 is extremely large which suggests that either someone marked you too harshly or someone marked was too lenient. It it completely up to you whether you wish to get it remarked or not but please be aware that as much as your grade may increase, there is also a possibility of it being lowered. Hope this makes sense

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

I did ask my module leader and she said the marker is experienced and gives a very generous mark, based on her feedback she said I didn't cite the picture I used (which I did) and she said my method is wrong but I found out is the correct method. The other maker said it will be good if I got the reference from books and journals (I also did most of my literature review references from university library ebooks as the physical books are not available to loan at that time ) She seems like doesn't care about it and rush the discussion as she needs to go to her masters students :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending