The Student Room Group

Geo or Sociology Alevel??

hiii, i’m currently choosing my alevels and i’ve chosen psychology, business and sociology. basically, i’m really uncertain on sociology. ik it looks good being combined with psychology, but i don’t really have that much of an interest or drive to do it. also psychology and sociology will be a LOT of content and idk if i could keep up with it. i’ve been considering geography a level since i enjoy it at gcse and have heard good things about it. however it doesn’t look as good as sociology. i’d really like some help with picking an alevel 😁😁
Original post by mqtyldq
hiii, i’m currently choosing my alevels and i’ve chosen psychology, business and sociology. basically, i’m really uncertain on sociology. ik it looks good being combined with psychology, but i don’t really have that much of an interest or drive to do it. also psychology and sociology will be a LOT of content and idk if i could keep up with it. i’ve been considering geography a level since i enjoy it at gcse and have heard good things about it. however it doesn’t look as good as sociology. i’d really like some help with picking an alevel 😁😁

Do you know what you might want to do after A levels? Why do you think geography 'doesn't look as good as sociology'?
Reply 2
Geography is a very useful A level subject as for many courses, Unis will consider it a 'science'.

Have a look as the text books for each subject - ask the relevant teachers - is it what you want to spend 2 years studying?
Original post by mqtyldq

What do you want to do at uni?
Geography is a very good subject to take. So is sociology.
I personally did both and loved them both.
If whatever you want to do at uni doesnt have any specific subject requirements, then id do whichever you will enjoy most and get the best grade in.
Reply 4
I don't know about geography as an A-level but in my experience, I'm finishing year 13 and thank you, no more sociology for me. It is an interesting subject but the way it is structured in the examination it's quite broad. Also it's a content heavy subject so be prepared to have to know a lot of sociologists and what they believe about society. I've been doing sociology for 4 years now, since GCSE and in my experience, I wish I could have change sociology with something else in time.
The subject is lovely and it really helps understand society and you will find a lot of things which you study in the course relevant daily. However, in my opinion and experience, I wouldn't pick it if you're not completely sure that you want to have to learn this much. Also the biggest question is a 30 marker and trust me everyone at least who I know absolutely hates them. I always advise people to chose another subject if they want peace in their life during college XD

Quick Reply

Latest