The Student Room Group

I messed up with a guy

I've been talking to a guy on Tinder for quite some time now. He just seems exactly what I want. Thing is he lives about 60 miles away. He drives but I don't. We were going to meet 2 weeks ago but I had to cancel. He seemed dissapointed but understanding. I didn't tell him but it was because a friend of mine died and I was just too sad. We talk all the time, all the time on the phone and share a lot.
I was meant to see him today. But on Friday night I went out and I lost my work bag. Yesterday I got a disciplinary in work because of it and just couldn't face going on a first date.

He's so mad at me but I can't blame him. I asked him what can I do to make it right. He said "I need to see that you're ready for dating and that you're going to take this seriously. Come to me next weekend".
I get that he lives far away but the idea of getting a 2 hour train to see him fills me anxiety. We were going to meet in the middle the first time so I don't know why we can't do that. What do you all think ? I really like him and I'm scared he'll meet someone else
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been talking to a guy on Tinder for quite some time now. He just seems exactly what I want. Thing is he lives about 60 miles away. He drives but I don't. We were going to meet 2 weeks ago but I had to cancel. He seemed dissapointed but understanding. I didn't tell him but it was because a friend of mine died and I was just too sad. We talk all the time, all the time on the phone and share a lot.
I was meant to see him today. But on Friday night I went out and I lost my work bag. Yesterday I got a disciplinary in work because of it and just couldn't face going on a first date.

He's so mad at me but I can't blame him. I asked him what can I do to make it right. He said "I need to see that you're ready for dating and that you're going to take this seriously. Come to me next weekend".
I get that he lives far away but the idea of getting a 2 hour train to see him fills me anxiety. We were going to meet in the middle the first time so I don't know why we can't do that. What do you all think ? I really like him and I'm scared he'll meet someone else

Find someone else, he shouldn't be getting mad, this has red flag vibes
Reply 2
If you really want to see him then go see him. 2 Hours or not, doesn't matter. He wants to see that you're serious about him. Two hours is not that much if you're actually serious. You want to be able to develop trust. Guys get strung along by girls all the time because girls are liars and always say one thing but actually do something else. That's why you need to prove that you're serious. When you're far apart, he doesn't know whether to fully trust you or not, especially during the first stages of the relationship. You're not very close yet.
Reply 3
If you really want to see him then go see him. 2 Hours or not, doesn't matter. He wants to see that you're serious about him. Two hours is not that much if you're actually serious. You want to be able to develop trust. Guys get strung along by girls all the time because girls are liars and always say one thing but actually do something else. That's why you need to prove that you're serious. When you're far apart, he doesn't know whether to fully trust you or not, especially during the first stages of the relationship. You're not very close yet.

Generalising much saying girls string guys along all the time

How people seem via an online site and messages can be completely different thing to how they actually are in real life. It's therefore better to meet sooner rather than later. Wasting time on what turns out to be a dead end is not a good approach to life.

Are you planning to move to his city or vice versa? If not how is the 60 miles distance going to pan out? What about all the men in your home city?

Not meeting because a friend died indicates a sub-optimum inner philosophy from you. The death of a loved one should spur you on to go on more adventures in your life. Because you never know when your turn with the Grim Reaper will come.

Not going on a date because of an issue at work indicates a sub-optimum inner philosophy from you. A great antidote to stress at work is having fun in your leisure time. What happens at work should stay at work. You should try to not take it home with you. Sometimes this is unavoidable, because we're humans, not robots. When that happens it's more important that you make the effort to fight against the misery or stress of your work by having as good a social life as you can.

At this stage apologise and meet him tonight or tomorrow during the Bank Holiday.

When you meet, aim to observe how he handles himself when things don't go his way. If he gets mad about stuff instead of keeping calm and carrying on you should dump him and aim for a man with more emotional strength.

Try to get out of this scarcity mindset. There's an abundance of great men out there.

Remind yourself that you are the prize. At least as much as he is.

Aim to go on a lot more first dates than you have been doing. Instead of staying in watching TV (or whatever) go out and meet men for a quick drink and witty banter - as a real life soap opera *** comedy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending