The Student Room Group

Newspapers-Question 2 OCR - URGENTLY NEED HELP

Could anyone help me answer this question? The sources are the MailOnline and The Times print front page( Fri April 21 2023) The most notable thing on the MailOnline source is the title 'shafted by snowflakes' referring to Dominic Raab's resignation. Any help with structure, definitions,analysis and genre conventions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Source A and Source B cover the same news event from two different newspapers, one print and
one online.
2 How far do the sources challenge the genre conventions of print and online newspapers?
In your answer you must:
explain the genre conventions of print and online newspapers
analyse the use of genre conventions in the sources
make judgements and reach conclusions about how far the sources challenge genre
conventions. [15]
Reply 1
I don't know wether you have been taught to write your essays like this but i would use the macro to micro structure with a conclusion. In my macro (first paragraph) i would talk about the genre conventions of Broadsheets, mid market hybrids and tabloids in general and they're conventional aspects referring to all news papers if you've not been taught with this structure just ignore this as it might be confusing.

This is what I would write in my macro; where I talk about genre in news as a whole

Tabloids e.g The sun;
use a less formal language register, cover softer news e.g celebrity/ tv based news,

~ They often have bold mastheads in a sans serif style font and headlines are often bold and capitalized again in sans serif fonts

~ The front pages are often dominated by images and very little copy (text) to address they’re lower educated readership.

Mid-market Hybrids e.g The Daily Mail; They cover a mix of soft and hard news; a blend of political and entertainment based news. They often use traditional sans serif mastheads and often have capitalised banner headlines.

~The front page and internal pages are dominated by an equal ratio of text to image to address a leveled mid market audience.

Broadsheet e.g The Times;

They tend to use a more formal language register covering more politically based news with economic, historical and international influence.

~ They tend to have traditional mastheads in serif fonts, often using black and white to differentiate themselves from the other newspaper genres.

~They’re pages are dominated by eloquent copy in compact columns to target they’re more well educated readers that tend to be of an older age.

~They offer news as informative content to address the A, B and C1 demographics.

Then i would use a theorist like Steve Neale if your studying OCR for other boards i'm not sure what the expectations are for theorists. His genre theory is based around repetition and difference the easiest allusion to difference for me would be news papers making online websites to tackle the declining print circulations.

Then I would go into my micro and speak specifically about each article and paper.

~ As it is a 15 marker I personally would start with a few key facts stating the political positioning of the papers and their ownership structures and most importantly their genres.

The Daily Mail/ Mail online; is owned by Jonathan Harmsworth and is apart of the diversified company DMGT media It is a right wing paper and calls itself ''the voice of middle England'' It is a middle market Hybrid paper and tends to comply with the conventions of Mid-market papers. It is one of the only mainstream papers in the uk witch has a higher female readership than male. The editor in chief is Paul Dacre who has quite outspoken controversial views that can on occasion transcend into the paper.

The Times; The times is apart of this huge conglomerate company called news corp which is owned by Rupert Murdock its power and influence over the media industry is notable from its large foothold in a a multitude of different media forms. The times is a a right wing conventional broadsheet paper which covers an educational view on more perplexing news topics. It's target readers are of the A,B,C1 categorises attracting a well educated middle class to upper class reader.

I have looked at your sources only briefly but these are some comments I would make (there not that great);

~Contextually the story is focused on a political issue which already makes it conventional of a broadsheet

~ The Times front cover is dominated by text with an image of a rocket placed in between the columns the copy is in a serif copy.
The use of the serif font targets that more educated upper class reader and is conventional of broadsheet papers genres.

~The language is quite complex and not at all colloquial and chatty again conforming to conventions of a broadsheet words like ''allegations'' ''mulls'' ''verdiict''.

~ The masthead is in a serif font and it is black and white to differentiate itself from the tabloids.

~ I would also pick apart the paper analysing the news chart at the bottom it's compact informative targeting that upper class audience, Look at the headline; Typography, layout, lexis (mode of address: indirect/ direct), location of the photo, lighting, camera shot and camera angle.

~ I would also suggest that you link these genre conventions to the story

~ The paper is 2 pounds which i would say is quite expensive for a newspaper and is conventional of a broadsheet prie

If you have gotten this far and want some comments for the Mail online story lmk

Conclusion;
Link back to Steve Neal's repetition and difference critic both the Times and daily mail comply with conventions of their genre repetition and the difference is shown through the fact they both now have online websites to tacle the decline in print circulations. The Mail online does this through it's coverage of a large multitude of stories creating news articles which target almost everyone etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending