The Student Room Group

Gcse urgent help needed

Got my mocks in a month ,I am so unprepared. How do I get grade 9s in all the subjects in less than a month. How do I prepare the right way? The main thing acting as a hindrance should be me unable to wake up in the mornings and getting tired after school. I feel so demotivated and I’m unable to follow any schedule or timetable as well.
Are there any tips for all subjects to succeed soon ?
Main help needed for computer science like how on Earth do people even get grade 9 in that , I got a grade 3 and I wanna get a grade 9 asap as I wanna do that for sixth form , so I rlly need help in cs(ocr j277 spec)
Need help in English too! And re I gave up on re ,I always fail on dah shi like re is so shit😭 I jus wanna get a 4 in re.

So I jus need urgent help for cs,math and science mainly bio.
I learnt the result of procrastinating the hard way so I actually don’t want to face that again so badly 🫠it made me fall on my face so hard, thinking about this makes me loose my appetite too like I ain’t ready for GCSEs man, good luck to all ma yr 11s I feel ur pain.

Also how tf do I memorise LOADS in like a month like I acc have sm to dump in my brain and do pastpapers as well cuz I didn’t do anything much in yr 10 and over the summer and my parents have low expectations cuz of my current predicted grades ….LIKE ITS JUS DEPRESSING when ur own parents doubt your ability 😭😭😭 crying doesn’t help either , I rlly rlly need good advice and toxic motivation, Icl I have to change, idc imma delete tt for a month like it’s all cuz of tt.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Firstly, stop thinking about how much you have left to do. Think about how much you can do each day. It's great that you want to put in the effort to do better, but you can't change the time left. So focus on actually applying that effort.

I'm not sure why you say you only have a month. Aren't you in Year 12? The winter timeframe is gone so your exams should be in May.

I would say that if you can avoid making huge notes now, avoid them. Limit yourself to one leaflet (back and front pages) for each main topic. Use that to note only the most important facts while you study. That's a lot easier to revise than an entire book.

Set a study schedule. Sacrifice that one weekend to set a proper daily schedule. It'll save you a lot of time. You could set 3 hour study session, 3 hour break, 3 hour study session, 3 hour break. That's just an example.

Use a pomodoro time-frame to study and practice interleaving. Pomodoro means studying for about 25 or 30 mins intervals with a 5 mins break in-between. Interleaving means doing at least two subjects during each study session. It keeps the brain alert.

The most important one: ACTIVE RECALL. Start solving those past questions. 60-70% of your time should be spent on them. Test yourself with them. If there's any area you're really struggling with, note it down and go and study it again.

Goodluck with your exams.
Reply 2
. I absolutely hated ocr j277 spec for computer science due to the exam this year. Paper 2 was a torture for me and brought me down from my predicted grade 9 to a grade 6 (2 marks from a 7). Nevertheless, what I would recommend is flashcards to learn the theory and definitions, Seneca is also very good to learn these, and just plenty of programming practice and writing out algorithms. There aren’t many papers out there for j277, so use j276 (they cover mostly the same content, just make sure you remember the layout is a little different, refer to the j277 sample paper for a reminder of the correct layout. I didn’t actually end up pursing computer science for sixth form, as I felt i wasn’t good enough with my 7 (just an example of how soul-crushing ocr is).

. For English, I recommend using Mr Salles. His videos will help you get to the top grade ideas (grade 8 and 9). I used his channel and went from a grade 4 in y10 to a final grade 8 in literature. I also tried to write as many practice essays as I could, search up example or possible questions. Do these within the timed limit for a normal paper. But do not predict or use predicted papers, or a story idea for creative writing someone shared on YouTube. This may get you in trouble, and predicting papers will not help you as the question will most likely be different.

. For RE I don’t know as I didn’t take the subject.

. Memorization tips:
. Use Quizlet for online flashcards
. Get organized, colour code folders and make sure you have everything together
. Use Seneca for active recall
. Blurting
Reply 3
Original post by DarylO
Firstly, stop thinking about how much you have left to do. Think about how much you can do each day. It's great that you want to put in the effort to do better, but you can't change the time left. So focus on actually applying that effort.

I'm not sure why you say you only have a month. Aren't you in Year 12? The winter timeframe is gone so your exams should be in May.

I would say that if you can avoid making huge notes now, avoid them. Limit yourself to one leaflet (back and front pages) for each main topic. Use that to note only the most important facts while you study. That's a lot easier to revise than an entire book.

Set a study schedule. Sacrifice that one weekend to set a proper daily schedule. It'll save you a lot of time. You could set 3 hour study session, 3 hour break, 3 hour study session, 3 hour break. That's just an example.

Use a pomodoro time-frame to study and practice interleaving. Pomodoro means studying for about 25 or 30 mins intervals with a 5 mins break in-between. Interleaving means doing at least two subjects during each study session. It keeps the brain alert.

The most important one: ACTIVE RECALL. Start solving those past questions. 60-70% of your time should be spent on them. Test yourself with them. If there's any area you're really struggling with, note it down and go and study it again.

Goodluck with your exams.

I’m in yr 11 but TYSM
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kitty15
. I absolutely hated ocr j277 spec for computer science due to the exam this year. Paper 2 was a torture for me and brought me down from my predicted grade 9 to a grade 6 (2 marks from a 7). Nevertheless, what I would recommend is flashcards to learn the theory and definitions, Seneca is also very good to learn these, and just plenty of programming practice and writing out algorithms. There aren’t many papers out there for j277, so use j276 (they cover mostly the same content, just make sure you remember the layout is a little different, refer to the j277 sample paper for a reminder of the correct layout. I didn’t actually end up pursing computer science for sixth form, as I felt i wasn’t good enough with my 7 (just an example of how soul-crushing ocr is).

. For English, I recommend using Mr Salles. His videos will help you get to the top grade ideas (grade 8 and 9). I used his channel and went from a grade 4 in y10 to a final grade 8 in literature. I also tried to write as many practice essays as I could, search up example or possible questions. Do these within the timed limit for a normal paper. But do not predict or use predicted papers, or a story idea for creative writing someone shared on YouTube. This may get you in trouble, and predicting papers will not help you as the question will most likely be different.

. For RE I don’t know as I didn’t take the subject.

. Memorization tips:
. Use Quizlet for online flashcards
. Get organized, colour code folders and make sure you have everything together
. Use Seneca for active recall
. Blurting

TYSM ur a lifesaver😭😭😭 the cs spec genuinely sucks man like it’s ew

Quick Reply

Latest