The Student Room Group

Overtaking bus who is in the wrong?

Hi there,

Today I overtook a bus it was on a long straight of 30mph road and the other lane was clear and safe. The bus stopped at the bus stop and put his left indicator on, Once he stopped I checked again that it was clear and I put my right indicator on a pulled out and started to overtake once I was halfway pass the bus it suddenly pulled away from the stop (my guess was he didn't do mirror checks). Luckily he spotted me and slowed down and I went faster to get pass (under the speed limit the whole time). Would I be at fault for this as I feel I did a text book overtake, would anyone report any dashcam or other footage?

I think in future I will be far more aware of buses and will probably wait behind them now.
Well the highway code states to give way to buses so that's probably why the driver didn't check to see you were there as he expected it to be free (which is very silly of him).

That being said, if he wasn't indicating to leave the stop as you started passing him then you don't need to stay stuck behind him and you aren't in the wrong (as long as everything else you did was legal).

Lucky for you though he did stop and nothing major happened. Nobody will report anything as there was no incident :smile:
(edited 12 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest