The Student Room Group

Break in relationship

So my partner wants a break in our relationship, I don’t because I love her so much, although I respect she wants space to herself I then say to her “am I correct in saying is it because you aren’t committed to putting the same level of effort in this no more” as that was the vibe she was giving she said “no your not correct” what does this mean and how long until she gets back.

Scroll to see replies

No one can give you an answer to that. You need to have an honest conversation with her about her reasons for requiring space. Only then will you be able to have some idea of whether there is a chance of you getting back together or not. If you can’t talk write but let her know that whilst you are obviously going to respect her wish for space, you deserve the same level of respect and that this implies an explication of her reasons.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
No one can give you an answer to that. You need to have an honest conversation with her about her reasons for requiring space. Only then will you be able to have some idea of whether there is a chance of you getting back together or not. If you can’t talk write but let her know that whilst you are obviously going to respect her wish for space, you deserve the same level of respect and that this implies an explication of her reasons.

Hi well on the assumption of something wrong which my partner thought it had then escalated to an argument, she suggested that was I down to go to the movies I said “yes” I was excited and looking forward to it yet she decides against going to it, at the bus stop within campus a student whilst us walking towards the bus stop to go home approaches us so he asks me where do I catch this bus I say at this stand right next to you, he also asks her the same question, I had her bag to hand I decide to leave it on the floor not sensitively but in a way to show my frustrations at her not coming with me even though she wasn’t talking she then therefore said it wasn’t a side of me she’s never seen yet alone exist and it leads to the thoughts of divorce a fear she has and that she said if we argue like this especially if we have kids that we are only sticking around with each other not because out of love but for our kids and our love marriage and marriage life would be broken she then therefore says I don’t know what to say to be honest but says we need a break so I say is it because you see no more effort to put in this hence why you are not committed she says no you are not correct.
Well I wouldn’t want someone bad tempered throwing my stuff around either especially if it was just because I was reassuring a stranger about a bus stop!! It stinks of wanting to control me and anger issues. However, extrapolating that to children and divorce when you are STUDENTS just seems ridiculousI’m not saying that people don’t meet at uni and then go on to get married but it’s a bit early to be worrying about that now. She seems to have problems in trusting people and you seem to want to control/ own her. It doesn’t seem like a healthy relationship whatever way you look at it, so maybe a bit of time apart is a good idea.
Reply 4
Well I wouldn’t want someone bad tempered throwing my stuff around either especially if it was just because I was reassuring a stranger about a bus stop!! It stinks of wanting to control me and anger issues. However, extrapolating that to children and divorce when you are STUDENTS just seems ridiculousI’m not saying that people don’t meet at uni and then go on to get married but it’s a bit early to be worrying about that now. She seems to have problems in trusting people and you seem to want to control/ own her. It doesn’t seem like a healthy relationship whatever way you look at it, so maybe a bit of time apart is a good idea.

I’m not bad tempered I didn’t even aggressively throw her bag I left it to the ground and walked off. We obviously met at work, and we do have plans to get married in the future I’ve been with her for nearly 15 months now. How much could time be if she’s requesting space.
I’m not bad tempered I didn’t even aggressively throw her bag I left it to the ground and walked off. We obviously met at work, and we do have plans to get married in the future I’ve been with her for nearly 15 months now. How much could time be if she’s requesting space.

You come across as bad tempered, aggressive and controlling, I personally would dump you if I was your GF, and to be honest she probably will ditch you, breaks are usually the beginning of the end
Reply 6
Original post by Stranger girl
You come across as bad tempered, aggressive and controlling, I personally would dump you if I was your GF, and to be honest she probably will ditch you, breaks are usually the beginning of the end

She herself is of anger nature too, I don’t see how one thing makes you aggressive and controlling in what sense. Her response to my question was I wasn’t correct.
I decide to leave it on the floor not sensitively but in a way to show my frustrations at her not coming with me even

Sounds aggressive and controlling to me
I didn’t even aggressively throw her bag I left it to the ground and walked off. We obviously met at work, and we do have plans to get married in the future I’ve been with her for nearly 15 months now. How much could time be if she’s requesting space.

I didn’t even” sounds as if you thought you should have!
And given that you were talking about a campus bus stop it is NOT obvious at all that you met her at work.
You sound like a bully who thinks that you should decide and control and that she should follow. I’d be getting out as well!
Reply 8
Sounds aggressive and controlling to me

I didn’t even” sounds as if you thought you should have!
And given that you were talking about a campus bus stop it is NOT obvious at all that you met her at work.
You sound like a bully who thinks that you should decide and control and that she should follow. I’d be getting out as well!

I just went to get my partner from uni because she finished for the day, and no I shouldn’t have I put it sensitively to ground to show my frustration
I just went to get my partner from uni because she finished for the day, and no I shouldn’t have I put it sensitively to ground to show my frustration

You are a control freak, I hope she dumps you
Reply 10
You are a control freak, I hope she dumps you

How am I a control freak

No you shouldn’t for two reasons:-
1) We don’t get jealous and annoyed because a girlfriend offers a completely normal level of help to a stranger
2) Bags don’t go on the floor
But both of you seem to have issues and until you get them sorted out any form of healthy relationship seems impossible.
Reply 12
No you shouldn’t for two reasons:-
1) We don’t get jealous and annoyed because a girlfriend offers a completely normal level of help to a stranger
2) Bags don’t go on the floor
But both of you seem to have issues and until you get them sorted out any form of healthy relationship seems impossible.

I wasn’t jealous of her offering help to a stranger, I understand it was wrong of me to be annoyed but I thought we were going home that I rightfully acknowledge and accept a wrongdoing and mistake, placing on the floor not throw or dump.
Reply 13
I try to be the best boyfriend I can possibly be I spoil her with gifts, always am affectionate ensuring she’s kept happy, smiling and that she’s prioritised, taken care of and looked after and I am already missing her ;-(
Reply 14
Hi well on the assumption of something wrong which my partner thought it had then escalated to an argument, she suggested that was I down to go to the movies I said “yes” I was excited and looking forward to it yet she decides against going to it, at the bus stop within campus a student whilst us walking towards the bus stop to go home approaches us so he asks me where do I catch this bus I say at this stand right next to you, he also asks her the same question, I had her bag to hand I decide to leave it on the floor not sensitively but in a way to show my frustrations at her not coming with me even though she wasn’t talking

So:
1. Your girlfriend changes her mind about going to the cinema so you're going home.
2. A student asks her which bus stop to use.
3. Before she even replies to the student, you dump her bag on the ground because you're frustrated with her as she pauses a moment to be polite.

I try to be the best boyfriend I can possibly be I spoil her with gifts, always am affectionate ensuring she’s kept happy, smiling and that she’s prioritised, taken care of and looked after and I am already missing her ;-(

How is the above the person who thinks he's affectionate and caring towards his girlfriend?
Reply 15
Original post by Surnia
So:
1. Your girlfriend changes her mind about going to the cinema so you're going home.
2. A student asks her which bus stop to use.
3. Before she even replies to the student, you dump her bag on the ground because you're frustrated with her as she pauses a moment to be polite.

How is the above the person who thinks he's affectionate and caring towards his girlfriend?

I did the exact same thing to be polite you don’t take notice funny how exactly?
Reply 16
I did the exact same thing to be polite you don’t take notice funny how exactly?

Did your girlfriend have a flounce and put any of your belongings on the ground when you talked to the student? You are the one who claims to be affectionate and caring, but had a petty over-reaction.
Reply 17
Original post by Surnia
Did your girlfriend have a flounce and put any of your belongings on the ground when you talked to the student? You are the one who claims to be affectionate and caring, but had a petty over-reaction.

Yeah because I just came from work from a 4am shift to then go and get my girlfriend I even gave her a YSL like last week come on
Reply 18
Yeah because I just came from work from a 4am shift to then go and get my girlfriend I even gave her a YSL like last week come on

A 'YSL' what? So buying her a present allows you to behave badly towards her? Come on...
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Surnia
A 'YSL' what? So buying her a present allows you to behave badly towards her? Come on...

How did I behave badly towards her exactly? I was the one carrying her bag I left it to ground and walked away…

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending