The Student Room Group

Aqa English Language paper 1- HELP I MESSED UP

My section A was strong, so thats reassuring. However, i ran out of time for Section B, only had about 20 minutes and managed to write about 2 pages. THIS IS NOT THE WORST:frown:( i cried to my teacher, as the description was supposed to be your journey home ON the bus, i misread/didn't see this and wrotes as though i was an outsider looking in. How many marks will i lose/40, will i lose them all for not addressing the question? Is it still possible to get a 6 overall? Actually so upset right now:frown:(

Scroll to see replies

First of all you need to calm down. Why are you stressing about how much you wrote?! It's quality not quantity and I'm pretty sure I only wrote about a page and a half. If you loose any marks for misinterpreting the question it will only be a few. You have still written something so you will not loose a hue amount. Please calm down
My teacher went to an aqa meeting and the speaker said it's perfectly fine to go off the topic of the picture a little. It's good to be abstract! I doubt you will lose any marks at all, you still kept on the topic of a bus and the examiner might find it interesting that you've looked at it in a different way. Please don't worry about this, I'm not an aqa examiner but I seriously doubt you will be penalised at all. :-)
even if you do think u did wrong, u still have paper 2 which can boost up ur grade, so seriously dont worry
Dont worry about it! (Dounds easy tk say i know). You arent the only one whi went iff topic- i ended up describing the bus then my feelings etc ( used an extended metaphor of the sea!). From what you said it youve got a strong part a (i haven't! 😁) and its still a bus journey just from a different perspective. Im sure it is great!
Original post by ewarner2000
Dont worry about it! (Dounds easy tk say i know). You arent the only one whi went iff topic- i ended up describing the bus then my feelings etc ( used an extended metaphor of the sea!). From what you said it youve got a strong part a (i haven't! 😁) and its still a bus journey just from a different perspective. Im sure it is great!

Thank you so much, i feel much better now! Best of luck on results day :smile:
Original post by AKA2234
even if you do think u did wrong, u still have paper 2 which can boost up ur grade, so seriously dont worry

Yeah, i hope so, thank you :smile:
Original post by Jennifercullen
Thank you so much, i feel much better now! Best of luck on results day :smile:

Same to you, good luck 😉
Original post by niamh787
My teacher went to an aqa meeting and the speaker said it's perfectly fine to go off the topic of the picture a little. It's good to be abstract! I doubt you will lose any marks at all, you still kept on the topic of a bus and the examiner might find it interesting that you've looked at it in a different way. Please don't worry about this, I'm not an aqa examiner but I seriously doubt you will be penalised at all. :-)

This genuinely makes me feel so much better, thank you !!!! Good luck with your paper 2 :smile:
good luck to u too, dont stress about it, then it gets to ur head
Original post by lolasmithy
First of all you need to calm down. Why are you stressing about how much you wrote?! It's quality not quantity and I'm pretty sure I only wrote about a page and a half. If you loose any marks for misinterpreting the question it will only be a few. You have still written something so you will not loose a hue amount. Please calm down

Yeah that's very true, sorry i know I'm stressing out its just English was one of the subjects i really wanted to do well in and i didn't really think anything through until after and i panicked aha, feeling much calmer now though so thank you
trust me maths is worse than english, tbh i prefer literature than language, much more engaging and interesting to write about
yh we all get that feeling on the subjects we want to do well in, so ur not the only one
You'll be fine. as long as you managed to get descriptive skills, you will still get high marks. also, my teacher told me to try to write 2 side only.
tbh doesnt really matter how much sides u write, even if u wrote one page it could of secured u a 6
Reply 15
Hello :smile:
As others have said, don't worry because you actually won't get penalised at all :smile: The question said to write a description suggested by this picture, not one about this picture or based on this scene. So your answer is completely relevant because it could have been inspired by that picture. In our mock people wrote a description/story about completely different things to each other and nobody got marked down. I'm sure that the examiner will actually like it if your description is abstract because then the ideas are original. I only wrote a paragraph or less than half a page for that question and my section A was not too strong, so don't worry, I'm sure you've done well :smile:
exactly, lol thats definetly helpful
Hey, Don't worry about your view point, in fact, you may even get compelling due to your separate interpretation. To be honest, you'll get lower marks the more obvious you go, the best idea was to maybe write as the bus itself, and describe from its own view, you should not be docked marks because you were looking in, it may have just limited the amount you could've described is all, so don't sweat it :smile:
Original post by Jennifercullen
My section A was strong, so thats reassuring. However, i ran out of time for Section B, only had about 20 minutes and managed to write about 2 pages. THIS IS NOT THE WORST:frown:( i cried to my teacher, as the description was supposed to be your journey home ON the bus, i misread/didn't see this and wrotes as though i was an outsider looking in. How many marks will i lose/40, will i lose them all for not addressing the question? Is it still possible to get a 6 overall? Actually so upset right now:frown:(

DO NOT WORRY

firstly- 2 pages is overly sufficient.
secondly- what is done is done
thirdly- you said yourself that section A was strong af

I deviated off the topic and described the surroundings.
It's descriptive and so creative boundaries are pretty extensive.

YOU WILL BE FINE
sending love x

ps- you will do better than you think you did!
Well you probably didn't do as worse as me...I wrote 3 and a half pages about a train and not a bus (i thought it was london underground...i know ;( ) you cant do anyting about it now so don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending