The Student Room Group

Student Bursary Repayment

10 years ago I went to university and left the course in the first year. Whilst there I received 2 bursary payments totalling £800, I think I was asked to pay it back that same year I left but there was an appeals process and I submitted an appeal as to the varying reasons regarding why I had to leave the course and how I was unable to pay it back.

I never ever heard anything back regarding the outcome of that appeal and likely presumed it was seen and closed. In truth I actually completely forgot any of that happened and that’s my best recollection. I only remember since SLC, to my unwitting surprise, have contacted me this year, 10 years later, asking for £800 to pay back the bursary. I took me hours after the phone call to even remember all of this happened.

I am wondering given the time that has elapsed, given that it was a bursary and not a loan (yes I know I left the course early and their would be stipulations) but given the time, lack of contact from them at all and given there was an appeal in place that I never received a response to (the SLC guy on the phone did admit it was an unusual amount of time to be enquiring when I exclaimed ‘what, so you’re telling me I owe you £800? From 10 years ago??’ - how enforceable do people think repayment of a bursary from that time and given the circumstances detailed above would be?
I still don’t have that £800.. not without eating into the best part of emergency savings in an already difficult year with the cost of living. Considering I forgot all about this likely because back then I thought it was all solved and not a problem after the appeal it’s just come as such a curveball.
Original post by Nextpasttwo
10 years ago I went to university and left the course in the first year. Whilst there I received 2 bursary payments totalling £800, I think I was asked to pay it back that same year I left but there was an appeals process and I submitted an appeal as to the varying reasons regarding why I had to leave the course and how I was unable to pay it back.

I never ever heard anything back regarding the outcome of that appeal and likely presumed it was seen and closed. In truth I actually completely forgot any of that happened and that’s my best recollection. I only remember since SLC, to my unwitting surprise, have contacted me this year, 10 years later, asking for £800 to pay back the bursary. I took me hours after the phone call to even remember all of this happened.

I am wondering given the time that has elapsed, given that it was a bursary and not a loan (yes I know I left the course early and their would be stipulations) but given the time, lack of contact from them at all and given there was an appeal in place that I never received a response to (the SLC guy on the phone did admit it was an unusual amount of time to be enquiring when I exclaimed ‘what, so you’re telling me I owe you £800? From 10 years ago??’ - how enforceable do people think repayment of a bursary from that time and given the circumstances detailed above would be?
I still don’t have that £800.. not without eating into the best part of emergency savings in an already difficult year with the cost of living. Considering I forgot all about this likely because back then I thought it was all solved and not a problem after the appeal it’s just come as such a curveball.

HI there,

You would need to call us so we can check this for you. We're open Monday to Friday 8am-8pm and Weekends till 4pm. The number is 0300 100 0607.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending