The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2024 Entry Applicants’ Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cakePOP1122
I haven't even booked mine cause I only just decided today that I should reapply 😂 super last minute but I'm hating my current job and thought the only career I will actually enjoy is dentistry.

Last year I got an interview at Aberdeen and was on the waiting list up until August when they told me they wouldn't be accepting any more students 😭 I was thinking of doing pharmacy as a backup cause I'm not sure how my ucat will go considering the only available test day is the 19th 💀

I think my biggest regret was doing Biomed to start with lol

hopefully theres another date available but if you have a calling and the 19th is the only one defo go for it! hopefully things work out ! and never regret your bsc it’s always the starting point/your baby!
(edited 7 months ago)
are Liverpool, Cardiff, Kings, Dundee/QUB good options for someone who has a relatively low ucat score (but band 1) but has good predicted A-levels and GCSEs, a lot of work experience and volunteer work, and is an international applicant?
Reply 62
Can anyone help please!
I got 690 (band 2) in Ucat. I am interested in applying for dentistry. I got all 9s in GCSE. Predicted grades are A*, A,A ( maths, biology, chemistry). I live in Manchester and will be interested in applying not very far that's why not appearing for Bmat. I was thinking of Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. I am re considering which universities should I choose keeping in view my current Ucat score. Looks like Liverpool is a good option because they consider other factors apart from ucat and Manchester is risky. Leeds has introduced ucat first time so waiting for its cut off scores.
Hi guys ,

I needed advice on what to do for 2024 entry for dentistry 😭 I flopped my UCAT and got in the 2400s and I have no idea what to do. Obviously I know there’s an option of a gap year but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do as I have everything else as I’m predicted A* A* A good GCSEs and personal statement.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by HaileeB245
Hi guys ,

I needed advice on what to do for 2024 entry for dentistry 😭 I flopped my UCAT and got in the 2400s and I have no idea what to do. Obviously I know there’s an option of a gap year but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do as I have everything else as I’m predicted A* A* A good GCSEs and personal statement.

Thank you :smile:

Hey! You should apply strategically to unis that accept low ucats, I got lower than that and got invited for interview so don’t worry! as long as your personal statement is strong and your reference is good too you should be fine :smile:
Hey! You should apply strategically to unis that accept low ucats, I got lower than that and got invited for interview so don’t worry! as long as your personal statement is strong and your reference is good too you should be fine :smile:

Hi,

Thanks for replying this made me feel better cause I felt like I was going to get nowhere 😭 I’ve looked at universities such as Dundee,Liverpool, Dundee,Belfast and Plymouth . Would you say these are good to apply to ?

Which uni's did you apply to?
Hi,

Thanks for replying this made me feel better cause I felt like I was going to get nowhere 😭 I’ve looked at universities such as Dundee,Liverpool, Dundee,Belfast and Plymouth . Would you say these are good to apply to ?

Have you taken a look at Newcastle - I know people who have gotten interviews with 2400 and 2600...
Original post by huzzah2
are Liverpool, Cardiff, Kings, Dundee/QUB good options for someone who has a relatively low ucat score (but band 1) but has good predicted A-levels and GCSEs, a lot of work experience and volunteer work, and is an international applicant?

King's traditionally has a 3000+ UCAT score for successful international applicants... So it would be very aspirational...
I'm not sure tbh as I don't know the cut-offs for each university, I applied to Dundee with a low ucat score both times and got rejected, I have heard Plymouth accepts low ucats too however you should do your own research as i think it also depends on the overall application, i don't just want to say dont apply there just because i didn't get in!
Hi,

Dundee, Aberdeen and Uclan, i forgot to add my 4th choice and put 2 backups by accident 💀💀
Original post by ManUtd_21
Which uni's did you apply to?
I'm not sure tbh as I don't know the cut-offs for each university, I applied to Dundee with a low ucat score both times and got rejected, I have heard Plymouth accepts low ucats too however you should do your own research as i think it also depends on the overall application, i don't just want to say dont apply there just because i didn't get in!

Hi sorry to hear about that for dundee. What ucat did you have?
I got 2520 band 2 and I will be applying to dundee do you think I will get rejected?
Original post by Greekdentist
Hi sorry to hear about that for dundee. What ucat did you have?
I got 2520 band 2 and I will be applying to dundee do you think I will get rejected?

this is what i found

Dundee. The UCAT accounts for 40% of your pre-interview score or 60% if you are applying as a graduate. At present the SJT is not used as part of selection, however it may be used as part of your interview. There is no minimum cut-off score.

UCAT 60% of the pre-interview score if graduate entry

the average score at interview was 2536 the lowest score was 2320

so it’s worth applying
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by applesandalevels
this is what i found

Dundee. The UCAT accounts for 40% of your pre-interview score or 60% if you are applying as a graduate. At present the SJT is not used as part of selection, however it may be used as part of your interview. There is no minimum cut-off score.

so it’s worth applying

Thank you so much. :smile:
Dundee, Aberdeen and Uclan, i forgot to add my 4th choice and put 2 backups by accident 💀💀

Oh dear! Uclan is only for graduates right?
I really messed up in my ucat(2510), and I was wondering whether I'd actually have a chance of getting in to any dental schools. I'm also a uk student btw, and I've heard that because of this, I probably shouldn't apply to places like Dundee- idk how true this is.
I really messed up in my ucat(2510), and I was wondering whether I'd actually have a chance of getting in to any dental schools. I'm also a uk student btw, and I've heard that because of this, I probably shouldn't apply to places like Dundee- idk how true this is.

Im in the same boat as you 😭😭 I’ve been looking at unis that will accept low ucats for dentistry and atm the only ones that look okay are Liverpool, Bart’s London, Dundee (but they narrow this down for interview) and Leeds . I’ve emailed all of these unis to ask for advice so I’ll let you know what they say
Guys I have 2520 band 2 and I am applying as a graduate to dundee,, aberdeen, leeds and cardiff.
Im in the same boat as you 😭😭 I’ve been looking at unis that will accept low ucats for dentistry and atm the only ones that look okay are Liverpool, Bart’s London, Dundee (but they narrow this down for interview) and Leeds . I’ve emailed all of these unis to ask for advice so I’ll let you know what they say

omg, thank you so much!
Oh dear! Uclan is only for graduates right?

yes only grads

Quick Reply

Latest