The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2024 Entry Applicants’ Thread

Welcome to the Dentistry 2024 Entry discussion thread!

Useful links:

•

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

•

TSR Dentistry Wiki: Dentistry - The Student Room

•

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

•

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

•

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not ask for or post group chat links.

Do not ask for or post interview questions.

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

This seems useless to ask but since Leeds has quit using BMAT, anyone want to guess what their UCAT requirements will be like.
Original post by Ionomer
My guess is that the threshold isn't going to be terribly high. Leeds traditionally, as the only BMAT dental uni has been the top pick for those who didn't do as well as they'd hoped (and of course those who just did well and wanted to go to Leeds), and I think it's not ideal of them to not have a new system in place, because now the UCAT is essentially your make or break. Regardless, I reckon that the threshold will be around 2600-2700 for non-contextual applicants, in line with unis such as Birmingham, Liverpool and Cardiff, but potentially lower since there will undoubtedly be more applicants with lower UCAT grades applying to Leeds.

Aight thanks. I'm thinking if it's slightly lower (2500-2600) it might be fine if I practise. Are you applying for dentistry entry 2024?
Original post by Ionomer
No worries; nope I'm an applicant for 2023 entry, but I got all 4 of my offers so if you have any questions please feel free to ask! (and also when choosing unis I spent ages on the stats for interview acceptance rates lol)

Congrats on all the offers, ive heard that can be hard to get. Compared with medicine, there isn't a lot on dentistry out there so I really appreciate any help :smile:

Do you mind if i ask what was your ucat score overall as well as for each section, and which unis did you receive offers from? And what work experience and volunteering did you do? I've secured some hospital shadowing in theatres but it isn't in a dental hospital so I'm kind of apprehensive if I can even reflect that much.
Reply 4
Original post by Ionomer
Thanks! So for my UCAT I scored above the 90th percentile (sorry I can't elaborate much because I might get doxxed from it or something but if you'd like more in depth UCAT advice I can pm you), Band 1 SJT. I received offers from King's, Cardiff, Queen's Belfast and Glasgow. I'm really glad you're doing hospital work experience, arguably you do learn more. My work experience portfolio was also half medicine/half dentistry since I'm hopefully going for maxfax, so I did the following - 3 weeks of total GDP in your average high street clinic, 3 days in maxfax, 3 days in general (colorectal) surgery, a week in obstetrics an gynaecology in London. Arguably I'd say that hospital work experience is more valuable than high street dental surgery experiences ( although you should defo get both ), because if you say, go on ward rounds you learn a hell lot more in terms of interacting with patients, how to deal with emergencies, working in an MDT, and essentially learning the stress behind the job and how difficult it can be. Shadowing in theatres.. can be difficult (I know because I spent like 12 hours in theatre straight), because depending on the specialty you may or may not see the actual operating site. I was lucky since the procedures I saw were all laporoscopic, so it was displayed on a screen so it was easier. My advice for you is - make sure you make friends with theatre nurses, because they can grab you things like stools or chairs to stand on from a distance (obviously away from the sterile field) so you can see what's happening. In surgeries, you also learn a lot more on consent, yk, because you actually have to gain the patient's consent by yourself. Make sure you bring a notebook with you, write down everything you see, and before the day starts you should be introduced to someone called a circulatory scrub nurse. They will have an agenda of procedures for the rest of the day so you can do basic research online on those to understand what goes on. I would caution against doing paid work experience (such as INVEST-something), because it's really a waste of money, you would only do those if you don't get any WE at all. In terms of voluteering I volunteered at a school for 2 years, did some charity work and music performances.

*Edit - for your WE make sure you bring a book because after 3 hours the excitement dies off and you get bored af (specifically for theatre surgical WE like you mentioned, do NOT DO THIS for regular WE)

This is amazing.

Can I ask what your grades were? GCSE's and A level wise?
Reply 5
Original post by Ionomer
Thanks! So for my UCAT I scored above the 90th percentile (sorry I can't elaborate much because I might get doxxed from it or something but if you'd like more in depth UCAT advice I can pm you), Band 1 SJT. I received offers from King's, Cardiff, Queen's Belfast and Glasgow. I'm really glad you're doing hospital work experience, arguably you do learn more. My work experience portfolio was also half medicine/half dentistry since I'm hopefully going for maxfax, so I did the following - 3 weeks of total GDP in your average high street clinic, 3 days in maxfax, 3 days in general (colorectal) surgery, a week in obstetrics an gynaecology in London. Arguably I'd say that hospital work experience is more valuable than high street dental surgery experiences ( although you should defo get both ), because if you say, go on ward rounds you learn a hell lot more in terms of interacting with patients, how to deal with emergencies, working in an MDT, and essentially learning the stress behind the job and how difficult it can be. Shadowing in theatres.. can be difficult (I know because I spent like 12 hours in theatre straight), because depending on the specialty you may or may not see the actual operating site. I was lucky since the procedures I saw were all laporoscopic, so it was displayed on a screen so it was easier. My advice for you is - make sure you make friends with theatre nurses, because they can grab you things like stools or chairs to stand on from a distance (obviously away from the sterile field) so you can see what's happening. In surgeries, you also learn a lot more on consent, yk, because you actually have to gain the patient's consent by yourself. Make sure you bring a notebook with you, write down everything you see, and before the day starts you should be introduced to someone called a circulatory scrub nurse. They will have an agenda of procedures for the rest of the day so you can do basic research online on those to understand what goes on. I would caution against doing paid work experience (such as INVEST-something), because it's really a waste of money, you would only do those if you don't get any WE at all. In terms of voluteering I volunteered at a school for 2 years, did some charity work and music performances.

*Edit - for your WE make sure you bring a book because after 3 hours the excitement dies off and you get bored af (specifically for theatre surgical WE like you mentioned, do NOT DO THIS for regular WE)

This is really good advice. Congrats on all your offers, you definitely deserve them! :smile: I was worried that medical work experience wouldn't be too suitable, but now I'm feeling a bit more confident about doing some, alongside dental WE.
are Leeds uni still using bmat or have they switched to ucat for 2024 entry?
Original post by toothysmile
are Leeds uni still using bmat or have they switched to ucat for 2024 entry?

they are switching to ucat for 2024 entry
Reply 8
Original post by Ionomer

Useful links:

•

The “Which dental school should I apply to?” Thread: The Official "Which Dental School Should I Apply To?" Thread - The Student Room

•

•

Dentistry Undergraduate Entry Requirements: Dentistry Entry Requirements | The Student Room

•

Dentistry Graduate Entry Requirements: Graduate entry requirements for dentistry | The Student Room

•

Pre-dentistry/ Gateway Entry Requirements: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...dental-courses

General TSR Rules:

Do not offer to buy or sell items, including the promotion of dentistry courses.

Good luck!

Hi, a friend of mine advised me to apply for a course other than dentistry as during the course I can apply for graduate dentistry. However, I'm not to sure about this. What would you advise?
Reply 9
Original post by Ionomer

Useful links:

•

•

•

•

•

General TSR Rules:

Good luck!

Original post by Ionomer

Congrats! Any advice on university interviews?
Reply 10
Original post by faith_llamb
Hi, a friend of mine advised me to apply for a course other than dentistry as during the course I can apply for graduate dentistry. However, I'm not to sure about this. What would you advise?

Hey, do you mind clarifying what position you're in?
- If you're a student with a degree in the sciences (applicable to biochemistry, chemistry and a couple others), then you can either apply for mature entry (5 year programme) or graduate entry (4 year programme for certain schools and 5 year programme for others) - Which pathway (s) are you looking to take?
- If you're currently an A level student/IB student/High school student, are you planning on doing a sciences degree then applying for graduate entry dentistry?

Anyways, to my knowledge, with regards to dentistry transfers, Newcastle offers a Biomed to Dentistry programme as well as a DHT to Dentistry programme for I think 4 places each (as well as a medicine to dentistry entry but no sense in taking that). (Otherwise I'm unaware of any others but I haven't done much research) Is this the option you're considering? I think King's also has a shared biomedical sciences programme for all biomed/biochem/med/dent students for the first 2 years so that is possible although I have no idea if those transfers are accepted.
Original post by Ionomer
Hey, do you mind clarifying what position you're in?
- If you're a student with a degree in the sciences (applicable to biochemistry, chemistry and a couple others), then you can either apply for mature entry (5 year programme) or graduate entry (4 year programme for certain schools and 5 year programme for others) - Which pathway (s) are you looking to take?
- If you're currently an A level student/IB student/High school student, are you planning on doing a sciences degree then applying for graduate entry dentistry?

Anyways, to my knowledge, with regards to dentistry transfers, Newcastle offers a Biomed to Dentistry programme as well as a DHT to Dentistry programme for I think 4 places each (as well as a medicine to dentistry entry but no sense in taking that). (Otherwise I'm unaware of any others but I haven't done much research) Is this the option you're considering? I think King's also has a shared biomedical sciences programme for all biomed/biochem/med/dent students for the first 2 years so that is possible although I have no idea if those transfers are accepted.

I am an A Level student studying bio chem maths
The 2nd question is my back up plan
Reply 12
hey guys !! im going to be a dental student this year, if anyone has any questions let me know! I secured 4/4 offers and a 5th one being dht (which is more competitive than dentistry) if u need any advice lmk or msg me on my instagram @flossingwithflora which I'll eventually start posting tips and tricks as I get closer to sept, good luck !! <33
Original post by anon-.-
hey guys !! im going to be a dental student this year, if anyone has any questions let me know! I secured 4/4 offers and a 5th one being dht (which is more competitive than dentistry) if u need any advice lmk or msg me on my instagram @flossingwithflora which I'll eventually start posting tips and tricks as I get closer to sept, good luck !! <33

followed! Good luck for Sept, have a great summer!!!
Hope everyone's having a good summer! How's UCAT revision going for people?
Original post by EquivocateU2
Hope everyone's having a good summer! How's UCAT revision going for people?

poorly, ngl...
poorly, ngl...

Same bro
poorly, ngl...

Are there any sections you're struggling on?
Original post by EquivocateU2
Are there any sections you're struggling on?

are there any sections that I'm not struggling on...
are there any sections that I'm not struggling on...

Laughs in AR (no seriously people told me that would be the easiest section medify tells me otherwise)

Quick Reply

Latest