The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2024 Entry Applicants’ Thread

Scroll to see replies

guys my honest advice is to email the unis with your stats including ucat and see if they would accept or reject your application alongside doing your own research about their requirements and apply strategically! that way you hear direct from the unis and you can go from there (without stressing other ppl applying too) that’s my plan for when for after i sit ucat. it also doesn’t matter what university you go to for bds, all dental schools teach the exact same thing since the courses are approved and regulated by the GDC not the unis! ucats only a small part of the requirements for some unis so it isn’t the be all end all! a high ucat score doesn’t mean a successful offer too and vice versa. from someone who when i applied at 18 had an average less than 600 and got two interview and offers! (i missed the grade for chemistry annoyingly)
Original post by ManUtd_21
Oh dear! Uclan is only for graduates right?

Hi there @ManUtd_21, :smile:

Yes, our BDS Dental Surgery course is a graduate entry pathway and graduates will need to have a 2:1 Degree in a Biomedical discipline.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes,
Sarah
Original post by UCLan Ambassador
Hi there @ManUtd_21, :smile:

Yes, our BDS Dental Surgery course is a graduate entry pathway and graduates will need to have a 2:1 Degree in a Biomedical discipline.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Best wishes,
Sarah

I'm an undergraduate unfortunately :frown:

omg no dont say unfortunately!! it's a lot harder, longer and more expensive getting into bds after you've done your first degree trust me !!
apply strargically you will be fine

You definitely have more chances of getting in as an undergrad trust me! It’s much harder as a graduate, email the unis with your stats and go from there :smile:
yo if im predicted AAA would it be silly to apply for QMUL even tho they ask for A*AA
Original post by jennaa21
yo if im predicted AAA would it be silly to apply for QMUL even tho they ask for A*AA

Not going to lie but it’s probably not worth it especially when other universities look for AAA you’re almost wasting an option :frown: sorry to be vague
Original post by applesandalevels
omg no dont say unfortunately!! it's a lot harder, longer and more expensive getting into bds after you've done your first degree trust me !!
apply strargically you will be fine

But looking at the preliminary ucat scores, I don't feel like I have a good chance of getting in with 2510 tbh. I think the only dental uni I can apply to is Aberdeen.(last years cut-off was around 2400 I believe).
(edited 7 months ago)
But looking at the preliminary ucat scores, I don't feel like I have a good chance of getting in with 2510 tbh. I think the only dental uni I can apply to is Aberdeen.(last years cut-off was around 2400 I believe).

Don’t look at the scores yet !!!! They usually go down by 50-60 points cause lots of people book end of September.Also I know you’re stressing but the UCAT isn’t the only thing in the application
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by HaileeB245
Don’t look at the scores yet !!!! They usually go down by 50-60 points cause lots of people book end of September.Also I know you’re stressing but the UCAT isn’t the only thing in the application

(Original post by ManUtd_21)But looking at the preliminary ucat scores, I don't feel like I have a good chance of getting in with 2510 tbh. I think the only dental uni I can apply to is Aberdeen.(last years cut-off was around 2400 I believe).

i have no idea how i’ve done this ?! also aberdeen is a grad entry dental school too the grad entry schools are uclan, aberdeen, kcl 4 year program

man i’ve been there but if it helps you feel better first time i applied when i was 18 i bombed ucat and got less than 600 average and band 4 and i still got two interviews and offers. that was 4-5 years ago ! even with a 900 average b1 the aim is to always apply strategically it’s best to apply for unis that look at applications holistically and take ucat as a leda than 40% or even use ucat as a scoring system ! what’re your stats i’m assuming it’s just gcses, a levels, you’ve got a good personal statement reference and work experience? if you want you can send your ps to me and i’ll review it. one you get interviews everyone’s more or less on the same playing field idk what it’s like for ug now bc i’m apply as a grad but you do got this!
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by HaileeB245
Not going to lie but it’s probably not worth it especially when other universities look for AAA you’re almost wasting an option :frown: sorry to be vague

yep yep thank u i just needed someone to reinforce that to me :s-smilie: my school wont pedict me A*AA desipite being a mark from an A* in maths! feeling super low...
(Original post by ManUtd_21)But looking at the preliminary ucat scores, I don't feel like I have a good chance of getting in with 2510 tbh. I think the only dental uni I can apply to is Aberdeen.(last years cut-off was around 2400 I believe).

i have no idea how i’ve done this ?! also aberdeen is a grad entry dental school too the grad entry schools are uclan, aberdeen, kcl 4 year program

man i’ve been there but if it helps you feel better first time i applied when i was 18 i bombed ucat and got less than 600 average and band 4 and i still got two interviews and offers. that was 4-5 years ago ! even with a 900 average b1 the aim is to always apply strategically it’s best to apply for unis that look at applications holistically and take ucat as a leda than 40% or even use ucat as a scoring system ! what’re your stats i’m assuming it’s just gcses, a levels, you’ve got a good personal statement reference and work experience? if you want you can send your ps to me and i’ll review it. one you get interviews everyone’s more or less on the same playing field idk what it’s like for ug now bc i’m apply as a grad but you do got this!

Here are my other stats:
A-Level Predicted grades: A*A*A* (maths, bio, chem)
GCSE's:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Geography: 9
RS: 9
English language: A*
Maths: 8
Physics: 8
English Lit: 8
Latin: 7
Spanish: 7

Thank you and @cakePOP1122 for your help and advice!
yep yep thank u i just needed someone to reinforce that to me :s-smilie: my school wont pedict me A*AA desipite being a mark from an A* in maths! feeling super low...

i completely understand you feeling down but it’s gonna hurt more if you apply and get a pre rejection interview :frown: all dental schools teach the same things so it doesn’t matter where you go you’ll still qualify as a dentist but i understand everyone has preferences
i completely understand you feeling down but it’s gonna hurt more if you apply and get a pre rejection interview :frown: all dental schools teach the same things so it doesn’t matter where you go you’ll still qualify as a dentist but i understand everyone has preferences

tysm, im j down bc i didnt do as well on my ucat either (2490 band 1) and my gcses are 777666665 so it looks like there is no hope 4 me
Here are my other stats:
A-Level Predicted grades: A*A*A* (maths, bio, chem)
GCSE's:
Biology: 9
Chemistry: 9
Geography: 9
RS: 9
English language: A*
Maths: 8
Physics: 8
English Lit: 8
Latin: 7
Spanish: 7

Thank you and @cakePOP1122 for your help and advice!

so having a look here https://www.theukcatpeople.co.uk/medical-schools/ucat/how-universities-use-the-ucat

unis i would focus on
cardiff
dundee
potentially glasgow liverpool and kings but kinda does like high ucat scores
leeds (it’s new for ucat this year)
queens belfast
have a look at the stats in the link and email the unis with your data and see which unis will play in your favour! apply for the unis you have the highest chance at achieving interviews at don’t worry about name or russell group or not
tysm, im j down bc i didnt do as well on my ucat either (2490 band 1) and my gcses are 777666665 so it looks like there is no hope 4 me

https://www.theukcatpeople.co.uk/medical-schools/ucat/how-universities-use-the-ucat

noo dont say that!! look at the stats in this link and email the uni your data and apply to the unis you have the be set chance of getting an interview at!
so having a look here https://www.theukcatpeople.co.uk/medical-schools/ucat/how-universities-use-the-ucat

unis i would focus on
cardiff
dundee
potentially glasgow liverpool and kings but kinda does like high ucat scores
leeds (it’s new for ucat this year)
queens belfast
have a look at the stats in the link and email the unis with your data and see which unis will play in your favour! apply for the unis you have the highest chance at achieving interviews at don’t worry about name or russell group or not

Thank you soo much, I really appreciate it!
Thank you soo much, I really appreciate it!

absolutely anytime
Reply 99
Hey guys, anyone know if Newcastle scores graduates desperately from undergrads (non partners). Got 2800 band 2 and a 1st class in my degree. thinking of applying there but not too sure, if anyone has any suggestions on where to apply I would love to hear them

Quick Reply

Latest