The Student Room Group

higher maths 2023

how did the exam go! p2 was bad for me 😓
Reply 1
Thought it was easy with the exception of the very last question on paper 1, don't know how you are meant to answer it without a calculator.
Original post by Femaiden
Thought it was easy with the exception of the very last question on paper 1, don't know how you are meant to answer it without a calculator.

you had to make a right angle triangle with opposite of 1 adjacent of root(35) and hypotenuse of 6 then using the addition formula 2sin2p=4sinpcosp which the gives 2*1/6*root(35)/6 which then simplifies to root(35)/9
Reply 3
Original post by friedchickenlvr
how did the exam go!

I think it went pretty well. I found the first paper much easier though. Almost accidentally missed the last q on paper 2 but realised with 5 mins to go that I hadn't done it. It was a bit of a rush but I got it done and I got a nice answer so I think it's right.
Congratulations everyone :smile: How did you all find it?
Reply 5
Original post by Evil Homer
Congratulations everyone :smile: How did you all find it?

Mainly just glad to get it out of the way. Feeling relieved now that I've done it without any major hiccups
Original post by eturbyne52
Mainly just glad to get it out of the way. Feeling relieved now that I've done it without any major hiccups

Well deserving sense of relief if you ask me. Got any plans to unwind a little this afternoon?
Reply 7
Original post by Martinithink
you had to make a right angle triangle with opposite of 1 adjacent of root(35) and hypotenuse of 6 then using the addition formula 2sin2p=4sinpcosp which the gives 2*1/6*root(35)/6 which then simplifies to root(35)/9

I see, thank you
Reply 8
Original post by Evil Homer
Well deserving sense of relief if you ask me. Got any plans to unwind a little this afternoon?

Taking a break from studying. Probably gonna have a drink or two and watch a movie. Might even treat myself to a domino's
Reply 9
Original post by Martinithink
xxs

Thank you mate
Reply 10
Original post by friedchickenlvr
how did the exam go! p2 was bad for me 😓

Seeing this comment made me make an account. Don't beat yourself up if it goes wrong. I can't provide the best advice if you need maths credits for a university application. However, I can provide you feedback on improvement if you generally want to understand maths.

I considered myself bad at maths back in high school. Started from Nat 4, Failed Nat 5, passed it, then Failed higher maths twice, and then a third time at College. Yet after a year of a breather and random life events, I bought myself a course at Aberdeen University (On-demand) as a punishment for procrastination.

I can't put that into words, I was excited and terrified, studied at my pace, bought a big board, colourful pens and markers, and started learning with passion whenever I felt like it. I supported myself with online sources, to visualise how the graphs are drawn, tried youtube, organised my files, made outstanding notes, tried different learning methods and allowed myself to forget what I learned. Never once I punished myself for doing something wrong, rather, forcing myself to correct the issues. Basically, I am my own teacher who constantly provides feedback. I allowed myself to cheat if I desperately didn't know the solution to the given question, but not until I'd tried my best. (obviously I have not cheated at school but on my personal tests at home. I want to learn and understand the subject). It all led me to the end result, an A and it felt easy. Funny how many fails it takes for some to succeed.

Now, along the way, I found that many things we've been taught back in high school... I forgot the fundamentals, I can't emphasize how important it is to solve basic fractions, addition, factorising, multiplying etc. Another is memory. Sleeping regularly, exercising, stopping eating garbage and reducing stress has changed my ability to think. It wasn't magic, I had to put in all the work and learn how I think.

The problem with schools is, they make you study on a fixed schedule. Everyone is different, and so unique needs for one to perform at their best.

For anyone who is interested in nailing the exams, then I highly advise you to keep on practising and never give up because mastery takes a looooot of time, and it's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending