The Student Room Group

Second degree at OU, Full time or part time?. Also what funding do I receive?

Hi,

I am looking to study Environmental Science at the Open University. Do I need to study this over 3 years or 6 years, as Open University is classed as distance learning. Their website states "All OU students are considered part-time students. That means, even if you choose to study at full-time equivalent intensity, you’ll be a part-time student and your eligibility to claim existing state benefits and/or to fund your studies with a Part-Time Tuition Fee loan will usually be unaffected." Can someone confirm please?

Also what funding do I get access to? e.g. maintenance loan or maintenance grant. Thank you.
Original post by friedeggs
Hi,

I am looking to study Environmental Science at the Open University. Do I need to study this over 3 years or 6 years, as Open University is classed as distance learning. Their website states "All OU students are considered part-time students. That means, even if you choose to study at full-time equivalent intensity, you’ll be a part-time student and your eligibility to claim existing state benefits and/or to fund your studies with a Part-Time Tuition Fee loan will usually be unaffected." Can someone confirm please?

Also what funding do I get access to? e.g. maintenance loan or maintenance grant. Thank you.

Hi there, all Open University students are classed as part time applications.

Are you studying with The Open University due to a disability? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, all Open University students are classed as part time applications.

Are you studying with The Open University due to a disability? Thanks, Karen

No, but I have a long term health problem which I am led to believe means I am eligible for DSA.

So I can choose to complete my degree over 3 years instead of 6 and it will still be funded? I already have a degree in business.

Thanks
No, but I have a long term health problem which I am led to believe means I am eligible for DSA.

So I can choose to complete my degree over 3 years instead of 6 and it will still be funded? I already have a degree in business.

Thanks

Hi there,

We normally don't fund 2nd degrees unless it's classed as one of our part time exception courses. Open University students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. We would require evidence of this and the team will determine if you're eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

We normally don't fund 2nd degrees unless it's classed as one of our part time exception courses. Open University students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. We would require evidence of this and the team will determine if you're eligible or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi,

So if I study Environmental science as a second degree (which is a part time time exemption course) Will it need to be studied over 3 years or 6 years?

Its very difficult to get a definitive answer about this.
Hi,

So if I study Environmental science as a second degree (which is a part time time exemption course) Will it need to be studied over 3 years or 6 years?

Its very difficult to get a definitive answer about this.

Hi there,

You would need to check with the university whether you can do it over 3 or 6 years as it depends what they offer.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

You would need to check with the university whether you can do it over 3 or 6 years as it depends what they offer.

Thanks,
Claire

It's with open university. They say on their website that even if you study over 3 years it is still classed as part time because it is distance learning.

So I can definitely access the part time loan for a second degree? even if I study it over 3 years?.

Thanks.
It's with open university. They say on their website that even if you study over 3 years it is still classed as part time because it is distance learning.

So I can definitely access the part time loan for a second degree? even if I study it over 3 years?.

Thanks.

We wouldn't be able to advise on the length of time to complete the course. This would need to be discussed with your university. Once you have submitted your application for funding the team will determine the funding you are entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending