The Student Room Group

Tuition loan

Hi, I just completed 2 years of Open University from a course officially considered part-time but which in effect I studied at full time pace. SLC were kind enough to pay a part-time loan for that one course. I have now been offered a full time placement in Reading University doing a 4 year course in a similar field (modern languages). I have applied to SLC for both tuition fee and maintenance loan but I have just come across information that under current regulations i may not be able to apply for a tuition fee loan if I decide to study another qualification at the same level. My Open University course was a BA honours degree and my new course in Readin is just a BA so probably not on the exact same level? Could you please advise me if I do have a chance of getting both tuition fee loan and maintenance loan for all years of my new course?
Were you awarded a qualification from OU?
Reply 2
I actually didn't know it was an option until a few days ago and then I applied for DipHe but didn't write that in my slc application because at that time I didn't know about that option....
Original post by denitsa64
I actually didn't know it was an option until a few days ago and then I applied for DipHe but didn't write that in my slc application because at that time I didn't know about that option....

Hi there,

If you do not hold an equal level qualification or higher, you will be eligible to receive funding for a new eligible full time course. This includes the Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Clare

As above - a DipHE isn't an ELQ to a BA degree

However if you have 2 years "part time" previous study from OU that resulted in a qualification then that will use up 2 years of your previous study for full time funding.
So no tuition fee loan for year 1 of a new full time degree.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
As above - a DipHE isn't an ELQ to a BA degree

However if you have 2 years "part time" previous study from OU that resulted in a qualification then that will use up 2 years of your previous study for full time funding.
So no tuition fee loan for year 1 of a new full time degree.

Well I may get the DipHe qualification within a month or two and SLC are bound to check with OU if such a qualification has been granted after the student loan application was sent. So yes DipHe is not equal to BA but I would have achieved BA if I had continued so yes confusing really. I guess I will just have to wait and pray.
Well I may get the DipHe qualification within a month or two and SLC are bound to check with OU if such a qualification has been granted after the student loan application was sent. So yes DipHe is not equal to BA but I would have achieved BA if I had continued so yes confusing really. I guess I will just have to wait and pray.

Hi there, Once you have the confirmation please contact us so we can advise further if needed. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending