what is the enviroment in uk university
Reply 1
Original post by gopal barman

I'm following this thread.

Hi there,

This is a great question, I think it will be very helpful for a lot of international students! I certainly won’t be able to cover everything I have experienced in the UK (and I’m sure there are also many many things I haven’t experienced) so it will be great to hear different perspectives.

First, I know there is a stereotype of the UK being a heavily drinking-centred society, with a lot of events and gatherings taking place in pubs or having an alcoholic aspect. While having a drink with friends or going clubbing is very common in the UK, particularly with uni students, I have found many alternatives for social events.
Personally, if I don’t want to drink on a particular occasion (I don’t drink often) I will still happily attend after work drinks, or a pub quiz, or anything located in a bar/pub. You will find many people there don’t drink because of personal, religious, or health reasons. Additionally, there are others who are driving home, or who have an early start the next day. You won’t be an ‘outsider’ if you choose an alcohol-free beer, or a soft drink instead. Instead, think of pubs as affordable and easily accessible places for students to gather to decompress at the end of the working day, or host low-cost events (as price is very important to most students) like bingo or karaoke.

I also want to point out that because studying internationally is so common, that uni culture is very blended in most cases. For example, Cranfield has hosted celebrations for Holi, Lunar New Year, and other celebrations (although some of my experiences were dampened by COVID lockdowns, I have enjoyed them a lot more since restrictions were lifted). There are also cultural societies such as the Turkish society, Islamic society, Indian society, and more! They host different events through the year. We recently had a fundraiser organised by the Turkish society for earthquake relief, where traditional Turkish foods were sold. It was a great way for others to learn about Turkish culture (while in a UK uni), and a great way to support those affected.

Speaking of societies, a lot of people will use them to meet new people at the beginning of the year. They can be sports clubs that get together to play/practice, or special interest groups (for things like board games, making crafts, or book clubs) where you can enjoy that hobby with likeminded others. As mentioned above, there are also cultural clubs to help you meet new friends who might have a similar background to you.

I hope you enjoy the UK uni culture as much as I have, and looking forward to reading the experiences that others have had too!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Reply 3
lots of drinking

Hi Gopal,

I am an international student and I will speak from personal experience.

I have found the environment to be very diverse, accepting, and supportive. Depending on how you choose to shape it, it can be the best time of your life. There are students from all over the world, multiple cultures, lots of opportunities to make new friends, numerous social events. The university and the Students' Union will also offer you lots of support along each step of the way to help you settle, and make the most of your university experience. Whenever in doubt or faced with a problem, be sure to ask, as there will most likely be a department or group that will be able to offer help in resolving your problem.

Extra-curricular activities are also a great way to develop your skills, strengthen your CV, learn something new, as well as make new friends and lifelong memories! You can get involved with a wide range of activities from sports clubs, societies (national, cultural, faith, course-specific, technical, you name it!), student representatives, etc. There is always stuff to do to suit your interest.

Generally, it is a very enjoyable university experience.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending