The Student Room Group

Is this a good choice? (A-Levels)

Hey,

I'm going to college in September after taking ill and having to take a year off. I'm thinking of taking English Literature, Sociology, and Politics. Are these good A levels?

I was ill during GCSE's too so I only have limited options for courses, My GCSE grades are English 6 (both language and literature, Biology 5, Maths and Chemistry 4, and Physics 3. Given my grades, I'm only able to get A levels were the requirements are English. I was going to do biology but I'm missing out on a 6 in Biology and a 5 in Maths.

My plan for university is to do a combined degree in Korean and either International relations, or Politics.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Throwaway17
Hey,

I'm going to college in September after taking ill and having to take a year off. I'm thinking of taking English Literature, Sociology, and Politics. Are these good A levels?

I was ill during GCSE's too so I only have limited options for courses, My GCSE grades are English 6 (both language and literature, Biology 5, Maths and Chemistry 4, and Physics 3. Given my grades, I'm only able to get A levels were the requirements are English. I was going to do biology but I'm missing out on a 6 in Biology and a 5 in Maths.

My plan for university is to do a combined degree in Korean and either International relations, or Politics.

A good way to answer this type of question is often to pick some universities which you might be interested in applying to, and seeing if they have any specific A level subjects they require (or prefer you to take). These details are normally easy to find on their web site.

I can't really comment on the "Korean and..." part (and what A level subjects might be expected there), but for both International Relations and Politics, those A level subjects will be fine.
Hey,

You should consider retaking maths. Some unis want a 5+ even for courses such as politics or IR.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Hey,

Heya!
I would recommend looking up their entry requirements. The unis will state what they need :h: Just explore some pages and double-check. If they don't need anything specific then your selection should be fine.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest