The Student Room Group

Burnout at university - 2nd year biomed student

Hello, I hope you're all doing well. Yesterday I had an exam, and I prepared so hard, much harder than I've revised before, I did practice Qs and tried to keep my self calm during the exam. However, there was one question in the exam I was struggling to answer and I suddenly got this feeling of "I don't care" as in i don't care whether I write the answer or not which is so strange. I revised and I want to do well so I obviously care but that feeling really scared me. I have one more exam and I'm worried the same thing will happen and I won't write a good answer that shows my capabilites. I've had exams before and was never like this. Is this burn out? I'm still working now and slowly trying to be nicer to myself but I care to do well but I don't know what's going on. Has anyone else experienced this before especially in exam season? My next exam is on tuesday so I have time but of course like any student you want to cover as much as you can to prepare.
@BlueCupcake

I don't know if it's burnout, but you might be drained.

Revision is hard work and it's easy to get bored and tired of revising!

Going over the same things again and again can get dull and repetitive. Sometimes, you might have lots of adrenaline when you finally get to do the exams but it also easy to be fed up and to be done caring! Not because you don't want to do well, but because your tired. I know that it is easy to get annoyed at questions, to know what they are looking for, what you should write but to find them a bit tedious and to be careless about how you answer them though you know what they are looking for.

Remember, you have one more exam to go.

Get some rest over the long Bank Holiday Weekend ( an afternoon or morning or even a day off!)

When you come back to revising, try to add more breaks to your revision.

If you know an area or topic well, don't keep going over it!

Focus on the areas you don't know so well.

It's good that you have recognised that you might be overdoing it.

Rest is part of revision! You do need to give your mind time to consolidate the information you have been trying to process, so don't feel bad about resting.

You have one more exam to go.

Rest, revise and remember that you are nearly there.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
It could just be blind panic and your brain stressing out - fight or flight. You chose flight and checkout. If may happen again if you face another exam question where you don't know the answer. At least you know this time. Overall you probably do care but this is your coping mechanism.
Original post by BlueCupcake
Hello, I hope you're all doing well. Yesterday I had an exam, and I prepared so hard, much harder than I've revised before, I did practice Qs and tried to keep my self calm during the exam. However, there was one question in the exam I was struggling to answer and I suddenly got this feeling of "I don't care" as in i don't care whether I write the answer or not which is so strange. I revised and I want to do well so I obviously care but that feeling really scared me. I have one more exam and I'm worried the same thing will happen and I won't write a good answer that shows my capabilites. I've had exams before and was never like this. Is this burn out? I'm still working now and slowly trying to be nicer to myself but I care to do well but I don't know what's going on. Has anyone else experienced this before especially in exam season? My next exam is on tuesday so I have time but of course like any student you want to cover as much as you can to prepare.

Hello @BlueCupcake

I am sorry to hear you're feeling like this. You could be starting to get burnt out, or you've stressed yourself out to the point that you don't care - which is common and it happens a lot with university students. I even experience this a lot to be fair. I'd say give yourself a few hours break (or a day, if you can afford) just to forget about the exams for a second and do something nice for yourself. There becomes a point where you work yourself up so much that revision isn't as effective.

Prioritize you and take care of you
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending