The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Can I get into KCL Biomed if I missed my offer by one point?

Missing by one point my offer requirements for KCL Biomedical, are they lenient? Offer was IB 35 with 666 at HL and I got 35 with 665… Do I still have chances to get accepted?
Original post by alexML
Missing by one point my offer requirements for KCL Biomedical, are they lenient? Offer was IB 35 with 666 at HL and I got 35 with 665… Do I still have chances to get accepted?

You still have a chance, but you'll need to wait until A level results day, unfortunately. KCL will confirm the places for all those offer-holders who have met the conditions of their offer. They have to confirm those places, even if it means the course has more students than they'd ideally like. If this process fills the course, then those applicants (such as yourself) who have just missed their offer will not have their place confirmed. :frown:

However, if there are still places available, they'll look through their "near miss" candidates and decide which they'd like to take. So they'll likely take another looks at references, personal statements, exam results, etc. They might opt to confirm your place as a result of that process, or they might not. It entirely depends on the strength of the other candidates.

Note that the above happens in the week prior to A level results day (universities receive A level results early) so you'll find out your fate on that day, via UCAS.

Good luck. :crossedf:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply!!
Can you give me any advice on what I could possibly do in the meantime to strengthen my chances? ie. Call them and ask to speak to an Officer or even better send them a supporting letter explaining why I really want to get into the course and all my other strenghts, such as Extended Essay in Bio awarded A, Chemistry IA awarded 7…
Also is it beneficial if my school sends supporting letter or my parents even?
Thanks for any help!!
Original post by DataVenia
You still have a chance, but you'll need to wait until A level results day, unfortunately. KCL will confirm the places for all those offer-holders who have met the conditions of their offer. They have to confirm those places, even if it means the course has more students than they'd ideally like. If this process fills the course, then those applicants (such as yourself) who have just missed their offer will not have their place confirmed. :frown:

However, if there are still places available, they'll look through their "near miss" candidates and decide which they'd like to take. So they'll likely take another looks at references, personal statements, exam results, etc. They might opt to confirm your place as a result of that process, or they might not. It entirely depends on the strength of the other candidates.

Note that the above happens in the week prior to A level results day (universities receive A level results early) so you'll find out your fate on that day, via UCAS.

Good luck. :crossedf:
Original post by alexML
Can you give me any advice on what I could possibly do in the meantime to strengthen my chances? ie. Call them and ask to speak to an Officer or even better send them a supporting letter explaining why I really want to get into the course and all my other strenghts, such as Extended Essay in Bio awarded A, Chemistry IA awarded 7…
Thanks for any help!!

There’s nothing you can do to sway their decision, they’ll just make it based in your academics and perhaps your PS if it comes down to it.

Have you confirmed with KCL that they have your results? If not, do that.
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply! Yes, they have the results and they said they ll keep my application on hold until they have all results in.
I just thought it might be worth sending supporting letter…
I have also asked for a couple of re-marks on two subjects that I was 1 and 2 % off the next grade, these might change my grades, which of course does not affect much, since I already have the total my offer wanted but I dont have that one grade for Chemistry…
Original post by alexML
Thanks for the reply! Yes, they have the results and they said they ll keep my application on hold until they have all results in.
I just thought it might be worth sending supporting letter…
I have also asked for a couple of re-marks on two subjects that I was 1 and 2 % off the next grade, these might change my grades, which of course does not affect much, since I already have the total my offer wanted but I dont have that one grade for Chemistry…

If you haven't already I would advise KCL about the pending re-marks as well. Otherwise it's just a waiting game until AL results day. It's not uncommon to be placed on hold like this.
Reply 6
OK. But from your experience is KCL lenient ? Because I know from some of my classmates that were 2 and even 3 points off their offer, that they got accepted from Universities such as Exeter, Kent, Leeds…
I suppose the more competitive ones in London are not as flexible?
Or all is relative…😕
Original post by alexML
OK. But from your experience is KCL lenient ? Because I know from some of my classmates that were 2 and even 3 points off their offer, that they got accepted from Universities such as Exeter, Kent, Leeds…
I suppose the more competitive ones in London are not as flexible?
Or all is relative…😕

Impossible to say as it depends on the results of other offer holders for your course this year.
Reply 8
Do ypu know how it usually works with offers?
Universities have a pre-specified number of places for a course and they give more offers than places? How many more? And then do they have an upper cap on how many offers they accept?
Because if the offers are not that far from the number of places then there would be no problem accepting people falling short from the offer…
Original post by alexML
Do ypu know how it usually works with offers?
Universities have a pre-specified number of places for a course and they give more offers than places? How many more? And then do they have an upper cap on how many offers they accept?
Because if the offers are not that far from the number of places then there would be no problem accepting people falling short from the offer…

Yes, universities have a target number of places for a course and make more offers than the number of places, because they know some students will opt to make other universities their firm / insurance choice, and because they know that some students won't make their offer grades. How many more will depend on the course and the statistics they have gathered in prior years. In extremely crude terms, a single student may receive up to 5 offers but can only attend one university - so it's not uncommon to see 5 times as many offers made as their are places on a course. (If were were talking about an offer from Oxbridge, where most offer-recipients would be expected to accept the offer, a ratio of 5 offers to 1 place would obviously be nonsense.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "do they have an upper cap on how many offers they accept?" Universities don't accept offers. Universities make offers. And yes, they will have a cap on how many offers they make, because they don't want to end up with too many people on the course. For example, for those applying to start in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at KCL in 2021, they made 2922 offers although only 503 ultimately started the course. The other opted to go elsewhere or didn't meet their offer grades (source). Had they made more offers, they would likely have had more people accept those offers and ultimately achieve those grades than they could sensibly accommodate on the course.
Reply 10
Oh wow!! Five offers for one place… I font think I ll have a chance…
Do you have any idea if Biomed KCL is highly competitive? Does anyone here have any previous experience of getting accepted to KCL Biomed even without fullfilling all the offer requirements?
Reply 11
Original post by alexML
Oh wow!! Five offers for one place… I font think I ll have a chance…
Do you have any idea if Biomed KCL is highly competitive? Does anyone here have any previous experience of getting accepted to KCL Biomed even without fullfilling all the offer requirements?

hi, i'm a current biomed student at KCL going into my second year in september. some of my friends got into the course without fulfilling all the entry requirements. i'm not sure if it matters but they were a level students (i dont know how ib works lol)
Original post by alexML
Thanks for any help!!

i would give them a phone call and send a supporting letter

i don't know the perspective of the Officer or what would influence them to let you in, though
Again, there is no point emailing or calling to try and change their decision or convince them you are a super dedicated student. They'll make a decision based on your academics and possibly your personal statement.

If they've said you'll have to wait until AL results day, then you must simply wait or ask to be rejected if you want to use clearing.
Reply 14
Hi everyone! I got in! My place was confirmed today despite the near-miss in the offer requirements. So, yes, it CAN happen! Sooo happy!
Thank you all for posting in this thread. Best wishes to all😊
Original post by alexML
Hi everyone! I got in! My place was confirmed today despite the near-miss in the offer requirements. So, yes, it CAN happen! Sooo happy!

That's great news! Well done! :biggrin:

(And thanks for updating us too.)
Original post by alexML

Great news! Thanks for coming back to update us.

Sometimes the long wait between results days is worth it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by alexML

Hi . I am an offer holder for KCL Biomed for 2024. KCL is a very close 2nd choice, but if offering the same AAA offer as 1st choice - and am trying to decide whether to put KCL as insurance (or go with another uni which is much less favoured) as my insurance. If I miss a grade - and have KCL as insurance - do you know many in your course that still got in on that basis? Thank You.
(edited 4 days ago)

Quick Reply

Latest