The Student Room Group

Will parents see purchases on a HSBC card?

Hey there!

For a little context, I’m 16, and am currently in an unsafe household situation (though this isn’t related to the question, it’ll give a little context as to why).

I’ve currently got a HSBC children’s (My Money, I think it’s called) card, which purchases are planned to be made on. Is there any chance my parents might be able to see? I know when it was opened a few years ago, my mum had to verify her own HSBC account, so I’m just concerned there might be a way to check my purchases from her end.

Does anyone know whether it’s possible, or the likelihood of it happening?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Fhaidh846274
Hey there!

For a little context, I’m 16, and am currently in an unsafe household situation (though this isn’t related to the question, it’ll give a little context as to why).

I’ve currently got a HSBC children’s (My Money, I think it’s called) card, which purchases are planned to be made on. Is there any chance my parents might be able to see? I know when it was opened a few years ago, my mum had to verify her own HSBC account, so I’m just concerned there might be a way to check my purchases from her end.

Does anyone know whether it’s possible, or the likelihood of it happening?

Thanks a lot!

If you look at the MyMoney application form here you will note that page 8 contains an "HSBC Authorised Adult Mandate" which says (in various places on that form):

"An Authorised Adult Mandate allows a named adult (such as a parent or legal guardian) to operate a child’s bank account on the child’s behalf."
"An Authorised Adult can ask HSBC for balances and other information including personal information about the child’s account, either in branch or on the telephone;"
"They can receive letters, statements or anything else HSBC may send to the child about the child’s account;"

So, yes, if they want to look they'll have full access to details of the purchases made via that account. (I say "they", it's actually only one person who can be nominated as the Authorised Adult. That would be your mum.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending