The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Looking for a part time job

I’m in my final year of uni and have an on campus accommodation. My maintenance loan does not cover even my rent alone due to my parents earning above average. However, my parents are unable to help me as they are focused more on my younger sister that just started uni without any money to her name as she was not able to get a job during the summer. I on the other hand, have at least a small amount saved up to get me through the first 1-2 months.

I have tried applying to many part time jobs and have received nothing but rejections. Is there any on campus jobs vacancies? As I would just love working on campus eliminating my travel costs if i were to work in the town centre. Where can I apply to these on campus jobs as i do not see them on the Lancaster University’s employment and recruitment services website? I need a job ASAP!! Would it be worth the shot if i go to different shops on campus and ask them personally if they have a job opening? Can they employ people in that way? Shall i print out copies of my CV and hand it out to shops? Need some advice please help!

Also, I am trying to apply for overdraft in a student account. However, i have a bad credit score. Do you think i would get accepted for at least £1000 overdraft?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my final year of uni and have an on campus accommodation. My maintenance loan does not cover even my rent alone due to my parents earning above average. However, my parents are unable to help me as they are focused more on my younger sister that just started uni without any money to her name as she was not able to get a job during the summer. I on the other hand, have at least a small amount saved up to get me through the first 1-2 months.

I have tried applying to many part time jobs and have received nothing but rejections. Is there any on campus jobs vacancies? As I would just love working on campus eliminating my travel costs if i were to work in the town centre. Where can I apply to these on campus jobs as i do not see them on the Lancaster University’s employment and recruitment services website? I need a job ASAP!! Would it be worth the shot if i go to different shops on campus and ask them personally if they have a job opening? Can they employ people in that way? Shall i print out copies of my CV and hand it out to shops? Need some advice please help!

Also, I am trying to apply for overdraft in a student account. However, i have a bad credit score. Do you think i would get accepted for at least £1000 overdraft?

Hi Anon!

Lancaster is currently advertising for a few on campus part-time jobs like Food and Beverage Assistant and various Ambassador roles. I've linked the ERS vacancies page below! :smile:

https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx

If you find yourself getting rejected from a lot of the roles, maybe consider approaching the Lancaster Careers Services and asking for advice on your CV? They might also be able to recommend other places to look for jobs.

Good luck with your job search!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 6 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Hi Anon,
I would personally recommend the Lancaster ERS for finding on campus jobs, as Rebecca said at the moment it looks like there hiring for lots of subject specific ambassadors and for people to work in the cafes and bars on campus via the Food and Beverage assistant as well as people to work the graduation days in December. https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx
Cover letters are important when applying for ERS jobs so might be work asking the careers team to have a quick look at yours.
Alternatively, another option might be looking on indeed for some bar or shop work intown, and either applying on indeed, or like you said sometimes taking a physical CV into the shops can sometimes work as well.
Hope your job hunting is successful!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hey Anon,

The other Ambassadors have covered everything I can think of to do with jobs, couldn't have put any of it better myself! In terms of overdrafts though, your student account should have come with an overdraft as a default (the lowest they'll usually start at is £1,000). This usually increases every year, so should be really generous now since you're in final year! Some of them can even go up to £2,500 or more in your third year.

If you don't have a student account yet and are looking to open one up, it might be a little tricky at this point as most only accept applications from first year students. I'd really recommend having a look at this page from Money Saving Expert, which details the best student accounts and who is eligible to apply. For example, right now Natwest offers an overdraft of up to £3,250 for third year students, and you can open an account with them if you switch one over from a different current account (however, it's worth noting this means you have to close your original account when switching over - this can negatively affect your credit score, as if it's an account that's been open for a long time, it can wipe that valuable credit history).

Having a low credit score can definitely affect your chances of being accepted for a higher overdraft, so it's worth being responsible about spending. I'd recommend budget planning and giving yourself a set amount to stick to for spending each week, or each month. Trust me, it's saved me so many times from making those silly little frivolous purchases that can really rack up by the end of the month! National treasure Martin Lewis comes in clutch again with this article on building up a low credit score. Even small things, like making sure you're on the electoral roll, and paying your phone contract on time, can really give your score a good boost over time!

Having a credit card can really help with boosting your score as well, and that can be a bit less risky than applying for an overdraft, as most providers will offer a soft search to see if you're *likely* to be accepted (though no strict guarantees). You can do these soft searches through credit agencies too, like ClearScore, and some might even offer you extra bonuses on top if you sign up through them. It doesn't hurt your credit score at all to run these soft searches. However, always worth noting, credit cards are a massive responsibility and you really need to be tight with your spending and making sure you're not buying things you can't pay off in full at the end of the month. You really don't want to be getting caught paying off credit card fees, and it will absolutely tank your credit score. So it's worth weighing the pros and cons of getting one!

One more tip I never really see online, but a great and safe way of passively saving, is making sure you have the best savings account possible, for when you are able to put a bit of money away! There's more info on the best accounts here - yep, once again Money Saving Expert is the top dog.

I hope this helps a little, good luck with the job search and saving!

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, Third Year Psychology BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending