The Student Room Group

Dual qualification

I am currently working as a Registered Mental Health nurse. I'm thinking of training in adult nursing in order to become dual qualified. Does anyone happen to know what is the difference between pre registration and post registration/advanced standing/dual qualification courses? Also regardless of which pathway I choose pre reg or post reg will I still become dual qualified upon successful completion?
HI. Most pre-registration courses are three years and sometimes it is possible to join one of these - or to use 'recognition of prior learning' to join in another year. The route I would recommend though it that you explore graduate entry programmes (usually Post Graduate Diploma or MSc). These are two years long and are accelerated courses designed for graduate entrants to nursing. I am an admissions tutor at Southampton and we quite often have registrants who undertake these courses as a means of getting a second field of registration (Mental Health Nurses seeking registration in Adult particularly). Obviously we would love to hear from you - but there are many other universities that offer graduate entry programmes if this is in the wrong area for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Oldfart1970
Also regardless of which pathway I choose pre reg or post reg will I still become dual qualified upon successful completion?

Yes - as long as you maintain both registrations. Your more recent qualification doesn't cancel the first one out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending