The Student Room Group

Sainsburys

I’ve failed my probation period at sainsburys I want to appeal the decision how do I appeal and what will be on the letter?
Reply 1
What was the reason
Reply 2
Original post by Zarek
What was the reason

It was lateness I’ve had issues getting up for work because of my lower back pain I find it hard to get up in the mornings I want to appeal to this but I wanted to just to know if it’s worth a try and how long and how I do it?
Reply 3
Original post by Jmuni98
It was lateness I’ve had issues getting up for work because of my lower back pain I find it hard to get up in the mornings I want to appeal to this but I wanted to just to know if it’s worth a try and how long and how I do it?

The letter they write should detail the arrangements for an appeal or you could be proactive and discuss with your manager. They will be keen to sack people that they view as unreliable as this is one of the important job requirements and you have precious few employment rights at this stage. So to have any chance you would have to convince them that your attendance will be flawless going forward. I suppose you might be able to get an extension to the probation period if you’re persuasive. I would also join a union so you can get some advice and support in the future
Original post by Jmuni98

Personally i dont think you will be successful, unless you can prove that your timekeeping/attendance will be flawless going forward.
What are you doing to sort out the back pain? If you have seen a doctor and can prove you are seeking treatment for it then you may stand a chance. Otherwise they may think that you will have the same issues as before.
Speak to them to see how to appeal the decision. Different companies will have different policies on this.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
Personally i dont think you will be successful, unless you can prove that your timekeeping/attendance will be flawless going forward.
What are you doing to sort out the back pain? If you have seen a doctor and can prove you are seeking treatment for it then you may stand a chance. Otherwise they may think that you will have the same issues as before.
Speak to them to see how to appeal the decision. Different companies will have different policies on this.

Doctors have given me Fit note also I’ve got prescription medication for my lower back problems.
Original post by Jmuni98
Doctors have given me Fit note also I’ve got prescription medication for my lower back problems.

You might stand a chance then if you have some proof of treatment for the issue. You don't have much in the way of employment rights at that stage. But speak to them to see what the likelihood is of you being able to appeal and how you would go about it.
Reply 7
You might stand a chance then if you have some proof of treatment for the issue. You don't have much in the way of employment rights at that stage. But speak to them to see what the likelihood is of you being able to appeal and how you would go about it.

Thank you, hopefully everything goes well
Reply 8
Original post by Jmuni98
I’ve failed my probation period at sainsburys I want to appeal the decision how do I appeal and what will be on the letter?

I won't think you would win the appeal because they would make sure that they have followed everything according to procedures for keeping people on after there probation period of 12 weeks...... Reasons for failing this mainly because of sickness levels or being late and also the way you do the day to day work load.
You said in post #3 about having backpain - unless you have your pain management under control for doing such a physical job ( lifting boxes etc ) then this sort of work is not usually recommended due to the demand of the job at times.
Health and safety is a major factor especially in manual work where lifting is involved majority of your day.

I have seen people in retail in similar circumstances as yourself and still didn't get kept on after there probation period due to the issue with possibilities of having lots of time of work due to the back pain they had in lower back area.

Best thing for you is to get Union involved if you were in it and discuss the possibility of you getting back....
Appealing it is the only thing you can do about it and see what happens with things.

Have you been referred to Sainsbury's own company occupational health provider for further medical advice...!!!

Another option would be just to apply for another job with the likes of Asda, Tesco or Morrisons or any other retailer but remember that your immediate health comes first and foremost.
Reply 9
Original post by Tracey_W
I won't think you would win the appeal because they would make sure that they have followed everything according to procedures for keeping people on after there probation period of 12 weeks...... Reasons for failing this mainly because of sickness levels or being late and also the way you do the day to day work load.
You said in post #3 about having backpain - unless you have your pain management under control for doing such a physical job ( lifting boxes etc ) then this sort of work is not usually recommended due to the demand of the job at times.
Health and safety is a major factor especially in manual work where lifting is involved majority of your day.

I have seen people in retail in similar circumstances as yourself and still didn't get kept on after there probation period due to the issue with possibilities of having lots of time of work due to the back pain they had in lower back area.

Best thing for you is to get Union involved if you were in it and discuss the possibility of you getting back....
Appealing it is the only thing you can do about it and see what happens with things.

Have you been referred to Sainsbury's own company occupational health provider for further medical advice...!!!

Another option would be just to apply for another job with the likes of Asda, Tesco or Morrisons or any other retailer but remember that your immediate health comes first and foremost.

I currently work as an Online assistant so I don’t do heavy lifting at all only issue they have with me is I was running late to shifts I was only running late to shifts because I would get flare ups occasionally at night which I found it difficult to get up from my bed.

Since they’ve put me on stronger medication the flare ups hasn’t been as too bad and I’ve been getting on time to work regularly now for past 3 weeks.

I have joined the Union I showed a Rep my appeal letter today they’ve said because it’s a medical reason and shown my Fit notes I have good chance they’ll give me extend probation period.
Reply 10
Original post by Jmuni98
I currently work as an Online assistant so I don’t do heavy lifting at all only issue they have with me is I was running late to shifts I was only running late to shifts because I would get flare ups occasionally at night which I found it difficult to get up from my bed.

Since they’ve put me on stronger medication the flare ups hasn’t been as too bad and I’ve been getting on time to work regularly now for past 3 weeks.

I have joined the Union I showed a Rep my appeal letter today they’ve said because it’s a medical reason and shown my Fit notes I have good chance they’ll give me extend probation period.

Hi
Apologies for the late reply 😔

So that is fair enough with you doing the online orders so you not lifting anything heavy compared to the actual shop floor staff.

They seem to be picky about a few minutes late but obviously constantly lateness can be a issue with your manager. You won't be alone in this situation as every workplace will have some staff being late a lot of times.
I take it they not taking in the facts about your health problems with the back.
I thoroughly understand your back pain flaring up as someone who has to lift sometimes heavy expecting mothers and also works part-time in retailing with another big name supermarket.

The most important thing for you is getting the pain management right and keeping it under control within your prescribed limits of medication. Hopefully the stronger medication will help you better and will hopefully give you some control back so that you can go out and work with your job in Sainsbury's.

I hope you will get the extension of your probation period ( you might be offered another month or two) to allow them to give you the opportunity to hopefully be given permanent job offer at the end. If you have a good store manager then sometimes they will work with you and give you every opportunity to prove you are someone who can be offered a permanent job.

Good luck in the meantime and hope everything goes well for you and you'll be offered a job permanent.
Let's know how you get on thanks 🥰
Reply 11
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
Apologies for the late reply 😔

So that is fair enough with you doing the online orders so you not lifting anything heavy compared to the actual shop floor staff.

They seem to be picky about a few minutes late but obviously constantly lateness can be a issue with your manager. You won't be alone in this situation as every workplace will have some staff being late a lot of times.
I take it they not taking in the facts about your health problems with the back.
I thoroughly understand your back pain flaring up as someone who has to lift sometimes heavy expecting mothers and also works part-time in retailing with another big name supermarket.

The most important thing for you is getting the pain management right and keeping it under control within your prescribed limits of medication. Hopefully the stronger medication will help you better and will hopefully give you some control back so that you can go out and work with your job in Sainsbury's.

I hope you will get the extension of your probation period ( you might be offered another month or two) to allow them to give you the opportunity to hopefully be given permanent job offer at the end. If you have a good store manager then sometimes they will work with you and give you every opportunity to prove you are someone who can be offered a permanent job.

Good luck in the meantime and hope everything goes well for you and you'll be offered a job permanent.
Let's know how you get on thanks 🥰

The appeal team has got back to me saying we’ve passed the appeal to the appeal manager and they'll get back to contact with me.

How would they let me know if I’ve got appeal meeting via letter?

And how long usually does it take for appeal manager get back to you haven’t heard anything since 15th of May.

I’ve attached a picture on the chat
Reply 12
Original post by Jmuni98
The appeal team has got back to me saying we’ve passed the appeal to the appeal manager and they'll get back to contact with me.

How would they let me know if I’ve got appeal meeting via letter?

And how long usually does it take for appeal manager get back to you haven’t heard anything since 15th of May.

I’ve attached a picture on the chat

Thanks for update 🙂
And apologies for late reply 😞

That is great that you have got something back about your appeal
They will definitely get in touch with you by letter either by sending it to yourself or perhaps via internal mail where your manager will have to give you it but they will know about any decisions made as well as you.

They will let you know when the date of the appeal is .

You don't have to reply to this letter ( which I gather you know that).

Don't worry about not hearing anything about it since 15/5 ok as they will obviously have to get all the necessary information about your probation period and all the information about why you were off sick etc and I think if necessary request occupational health reports ( if request for supporting information) and then contact your manager asking them for any information regarding this matter that you are appealing for.

In the meantime if you are working with Sainsbury's still then continue to turn up until further notice as appeals can take time to sort out and the longer the better for you if they take age's to have a appeal meeting as you'll be getting paid.

I wouldn't ask your manager about it because it's up to them to arrange things for the meeting with you and just you keep your Union rep updated on what happening as remember that you are entitled to discuss this further with the union rep before attending any meetings and if the meeting doesn't suit your Union rep ( if they can't attend that particular time or day) then they can rearrange it on your behalf to suit everyone.

Thanks for the update and hope things go ok in the meantime with you.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending