The Student Room Group

Male vet student :/

Hello, I'm currently in Year 12 and defintely want to do veterinary medicine at university starting 2024. I have been to open days at RVC, Edinburgh and Liverpool, and going to Nottingham next week. I didn't like RVC due to the location of the Camden campus and the living expenses, but loved Edinburgh and Liverpool.
Only thing is I have read that there isn't much live animal handling at Liverpool and it is kinda demotivating, is this true? and if so which uni gets the most hands-on experience with animals? as I think Edinburgh and Nottingham gets a fair bit.
I also need recommendations for a 4th choice, I've heard Bristol is nice but super expensive for accommodation! :colonhash: And a lot of the other unis haven't been accredited yet :tongue:. Any thoughts on Glasgow?

Also all the open days I've been to have been a majority of women, I have only seen a few other men. I have heard that this has been like this for many years and for all unis, Should I be discouraged in anyway and/or do unis show bias towards women? :tongue: (the last forum about this was 16 years ago)

Thank you for reading!
Charlie
There are few men, but it’s because few apply. There is no bias - if anything unis would probably prefer to have figures 50/50 so they don’t get those assumptions, but there simply isn’t as anywhere near as many male applicants in the first place. I’d say like 20% if that is male on my course. I’m a second year at Liverpool, yes we get near to no live animal handling which I’d prefer to have, but it’s still a practical course with other types of practicals and you still do your placements so get a lot of handling in then. I don’t think it affects performance in placements or after graduation to a big degree. If you like the sound of it, go for it and don’t let it discourage you - every uni has positives and negatives. But yes Nottingham get plenty animal handling, I’m not too sure about other unis. As a student around your age I loved researching unis and making pros cons and requirements tables to decide where to apply - if you meet all the requirements it makes it easier, but if you don’t (e.g. work exp or 1 GCSE etc) it can help narrow down as I wouldn’t risk it, and then otherwise just decide on the campus you’d prefer, type of curriculum (spiral vs modular), etc etc.

Plus vet guys seem to have quite a good life at uni generally (at least with my year) - since there’s not as many guys they tend to become closer together so you’ll make friends easily, and if it’s up to your interest they also get quite a bit of the female (and tbf, haven’t heard of issues of getting males too) attention. Obviously that’s just a non-professional aside if you were worried about anything 😂
Reply 2
@RambleAmple is correct in what she says, but I just wanted to warn you about the risk you would be taking applying to 2 Scottish universities. The Scottish schools have a quota guaranteeing a proportion of places to Scottish students. They then favour internationals to compensate for the fact that the first group have very reduced fees. The competition for the remaining places for RUK students is therefore very intense. I would advise that you apply to one, but not two unless you happen to live North of the border.
Reply 3
Original post by Coops01
Hello, I'm currently in Year 12 and defintely want to do veterinary medicine at university starting 2024. I have been to open days at RVC, Edinburgh and Liverpool, and going to Nottingham next week. I didn't like RVC due to the location of the Camden campus and the living expenses, but loved Edinburgh and Liverpool.
Only thing is I have read that there isn't much live animal handling at Liverpool and it is kinda demotivating, is this true? and if so which uni gets the most hands-on experience with animals? as I think Edinburgh and Nottingham gets a fair bit.
I also need recommendations for a 4th choice, I've heard Bristol is nice but super expensive for accommodation! :colonhash: And a lot of the other unis haven't been accredited yet :tongue:. Any thoughts on Glasgow?

Also all the open days I've been to have been a majority of women, I have only seen a few other men. I have heard that this has been like this for many years and for all unis, Should I be discouraged in anyway and/or do unis show bias towards women? :tongue: (the last forum about this was 16 years ago)

Thank you for reading!
Charlie

im a boy and i got offers so cant be that much bias - i do find it a bit discouraging and weird though but thats just tough 🤷*♂️
Reply 4
Original post by Coops01

Thank you for reading!
Charlie

I went to Brsitol yesterday for their open day, there were quite a few guys i noticed like ones wanting to apply for vetmed 2024 and then current students studying atm. Id consider having a look around there as I saw quite a few.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending