The Student Room Group

Worried about uni accom

I have commuted for two years and want to move out into accommodation to have a uni experience. I have three years left of uni and keep thinking about how I have already missed out on the "student halls" experience.

All of my friends have already secured student houses for 3rd year and I am stuck without anyone to move in with.

I will be 20 this year and know that it will be weird if I move into freshers' accommodation, even if I may be permitted to apply.

I want to have a house in the student village; I get the best of both worlds then, as I can emulate living with many people in one area AND get to live in a house.

I have gone on the university's facebook page and there don't seem to be any vacancies available. Should I move into student accommodation that is in the student village?
Original post by Anonymous
I have commuted for two years and want to move out into accommodation to have a uni experience. I have three years left of uni and keep thinking about how I have already missed out on the "student halls" experience.

All of my friends have already secured student houses for 3rd year and I am stuck without anyone to move in with.

I will be 20 this year and know that it will be weird if I move into freshers' accommodation, even if I may be permitted to apply.

I want to have a house in the student village; I get the best of both worlds then, as I can emulate living with many people in one area AND get to live in a house.

I have gone on the university's facebook page and there don't seem to be any vacancies available. Should I move into student accommodation that is in the student village?

Hello,

I hope you’re well. Since you’ve always commuted, I would say it would be a good thing to experience student accommodation first, before a house! You will find it quite different compared to living at home, but it all contributes to the uni experience and you may meet some amazing people.

If you enjoy living on campus, then you can potentially look at getting a house for 4th year! I’ve lived in both and I preferred a house because it feels more homely, however I recently moved into an accommodation with less people and I’ve enjoyed it just as much!

Being in accommodation you’ll be able to meet new people, even if they are freshers that’s okay! If you give it a chance, at least you’ll know if it’s for you or not

Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Hey there,

Living in student halls can be really fun, and even though it can be the majority 1st years, there will most likely be other people who are already in at uni returning to halls. It can be so socialble, and even if you were to live with 1st years, there could be people who have taken a gap year who will be closer to your age, and it is just more friends (you could show them the ropes etc). Have you tried speaking to an accomodation manager? This could be useful as there may be an option to move in with others in your year, or there could be other options you haven't thought about yet. Also, if there are private halls at your uni that could be worth looking at?

Hope that helps a bit,
Kat
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey there,

Living in student halls can be really fun, and even though it can be the majority 1st years, there will most likely be other people who are already in at uni returning to halls. It can be so socialble, and even if you were to live with 1st years, there could be people who have taken a gap year who will be closer to your age, and it is just more friends (you could show them the ropes etc). Have you tried speaking to an accomodation manager? This could be useful as there may be an option to move in with others in your year, or there could be other options you haven't thought about yet. Also, if there are private halls at your uni that could be worth looking at?

Hope that helps a bit,
Kat

I have spoken to an estate agent who has referred me to a 9-room house. I think it will mostly be international students though so i wont be able to meet friends who will stay for the subsequent years who i could live with. Thus, i have been considering student halls but I feel like I am left behind? Like I want to be where all of my other class mates are which would be in the town nearby the university, not in the separate student village which caters mostly first years.
Reply 4
I have spoken to an estate agent who has referred me to a 9-room house. I think it will mostly be international students though so i wont be able to meet friends who will stay for the subsequent years who i could live with. Thus, i have been considering student halls but I feel like I am left behind? Like I want to be where all of my other class mates are which would be in the town nearby the university, not in the separate student village which caters mostly first years.

It has its benefits if the student village is close to campus, to be fair! I live in halls as a second year and most of my friends live off campus, and find it quite handy that I have a room nearer campus where they can quickly access a kettle/microwave, or if they forget something (like a calculator or plasters) they can just borrow mine instead of having to go all the way home. It's also not difficult to go and visit each other, so I wouldn't worry about not being near your classmates.

Presumably you wouldn't be the only returning student allowed to stay in the student village after first year? My uni houses returning students together in halls where they can, so there may be something in place to reduce your chance of sharing with first years. Even if not, it doesn't make a huge difference anyway (following some gap years I was a few years older than my first year flat and had already experienced living alone, but the only real difference was I knew to take the bins out before they started smelling :tongue:). A few years age difference is nothing at uni, particularly when it sounds like your course is longer than most, so living with first years would also be good for finding flatmates.

Hey there!
As someone who is 20 and turning 21 this year whilst still living in halls, this is something I can definitely help with. I personally just didn't get on with my flatmates in first year and felt like I wanted to redo it a year later. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I've felt no one judging me about doing it. If you apply privately then most of the time you can see what year and gender the people are that are already booked into the flat so this should help you if you have a preference. I've ended up with a mix of first and third years in my flat which has been great and we just get on so well you don't even notice the age difference. If you're really unsure about this, you could always look on Facebook groups for tenancy takeovers and move in with people that way. There will be a mix of tenancy takeovers and student halls takeovers for you to have a look at.

I think it's a great idea you're thinking about moving into halls, definitely go for it!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
I am still living in student halls in my second year at Lancaster. Most of my flatmates are in second or third year so it's not weird, but the flat also came with all the information for new students so the accommodation wasn't confusing to use.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)

Hi there,
Have you thought about looking at private student accommodation? That way you could request to live with other third years and beyond, whilst also getting the experience of living in a student flat. That being said, if you really want a particular accommodation and can't find vacancies, it's worth getting in touch with the accommodation to have your name put on a waiting list.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending