The Student Room Group

Computer Science at a Russell Group without Further Maths

I am currently in year 11 and about to do my GCSEs. I want to take Computer Science, Maths and Geography at A-level. Ideally, I would then like to go to a Russell Group uni to do Computer Science.

My questions are,
Will I be shooting myself in the foot by taking geography and not something like physics or another science-based subject?

Although many Russell group unis don't require further maths, would it be much harder to get a space especially when applying alongside students that have done further maths?
Hello! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University. From my experience, I think taking Geography probably would not affect you a lot as long as you meet the Admission requirements (e.g. AAB) and have a good personal statement. It is more important that you enjoy the subjects you are taking, or you are good at that subject (for meeting the admission threshold). Other than that, Computer Science and Maths are both good choices but also not a must for studying a Computer Science degree. I'd suggest you look at the admission requirements of each university that you want to apply for.

I personally didn't take further maths or Computer Science in high school, I did ICT, Combined Science and Physics. At my university, they want to emphasize that Computer Science is a very broad topic, and not all areas of it require maths or further maths. However, if you are interested in getting into Machine Learning or AI fields, then further maths will be very helpful when dealing with algorithms.

Here's a link to the Computer Science course at Lancaster:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/
All the best and I hope you'll enjoy the A-levels that you choose!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

Original post by oliver6
I am currently in year 11 and about to do my GCSEs. I want to take Computer Science, Maths and Geography at A-level. Ideally, I would then like to go to a Russell Group uni to do Computer Science.

My questions are,
Will I be shooting myself in the foot by taking geography and not something like physics or another science-based subject?

Although many Russell group unis don't require further maths, would it be much harder to get a space especially when applying alongside students that have done further maths?
Lancaster University is not part of the Russell Group, but it is a very high-quality university in my experience.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University. From my experience, I think taking Geography probably would not affect you a lot as long as you meet the Admission requirements (e.g. AAB) and have a good personal statement. It is more important that you enjoy the subjects you are taking, or you are good at that subject (for meeting the admission threshold). Other than that, Computer Science and Maths are both good choices but also not a must for studying a Computer Science degree. I'd suggest you look at the admission requirements of each university that you want to apply for.

I personally didn't take further maths or Computer Science in high school, I did ICT, Combined Science and Physics. At my university, they want to emphasize that Computer Science is a very broad topic, and not all areas of it require maths or further maths. However, if you are interested in getting into Machine Learning or AI fields, then further maths will be very helpful when dealing with algorithms.

Here's a link to the Computer Science course at Lancaster:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/
All the best and I hope you'll enjoy the A-levels that you choose!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

Cheers, this helps a lot. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest