The Student Room Group

Picking Further Maths

I am currently doing my gcses, with a predicted 8 in my maths. I want to study computer science in university so I have chosen maths, computer science and business (also something I enjoy), for a levels. However, when looking at uni requirements, loads of unis expect an A level further maths requirement. Is further maths as hard as people say? If I push my self to self-learn some more maths during the summer break, should I change the business a level to further maths?
Reply 1
Original post by Mxxrcell
I am currently doing my gcses, with a predicted 8 in my maths. I want to study computer science in university so I have chosen maths, computer science and business (also something I enjoy), for a levels. However, when looking at uni requirements, loads of unis expect an A level further maths requirement. Is further maths as hard as people say? If I push my self to self-learn some more maths during the summer break, should I change the business a level to further maths?

Well first off it depends which unis you look at: top ones like Cambridge and Oxford require it, but there are plenty of other good ones that don't require Further Maths (just Math). That said, it does help with your chances as Further Maths (as an extension of Maths) is well liked.

It's one of those subjects that you will find really hard if you don't enjoy it. If you've got a passion for Maths, and considering your predicted 8, you should be fine. That passion and motivation is important though as it can be hard work.

Still, it's not necessary most of the time. If you don't want to do it, or don't want that extra workload, it's not going to stop you from getting a good degree. If you're unsure, you could always see if you could take it as an AS-level instead and continue doing Business? You could see how you find it and do that, and that gives you a bit more leeway with what you decide to do.

I do say that if you don't think you'd enjoy it, don't go for it. It would be better to get an A* in Business than a B in Further Maths if you replace it (as an example).

I hope that helps! Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
I was in your exact position debating about further maths, and I'm doing my A levels now. Honestly, it's really really hard. I love maths, but I wouldn't say I have a natural ability for it so it has been a bit of a roller coaster for me!

However, it makes A Level maths a lot easier and I've struggled less than my classmates because of the more in depth understanding of basic maths that I found further maths gave me. But in the end you need to enjoy your A Levels, as they are so time consuming and it wouldn't be nice to be stuck with something you won't enjoy when you could be doing something you'll love and probably do better in.
Original post by Mxxrcell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending