The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

I wont get into Manchester

I have an offer from Manchester uni for physics, A*A*A. Now the problem is my exams havent been going well. What grade do you think would be acceotable for me to call them on results day if I miss my offer and beg them to give me a place.

Scroll to see replies

Similar position, i need aab with a in maths but after edexcels maths paper on wednesday i have nooo chance
Original post by lukehake1
I have an offer from Manchester uni for physics, A*A*A. Now the problem is my exams havent been going well. What grade do you think would be acceotable for me to call them on results day if I miss my offer and beg them to give me a place.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Fighter365
Similar position, i need aab with a in maths but after edexcels maths paper on wednesday i have nooo chance

which uni?
Manchester too, but for economics
which uni?
Manchester too, but for economics

haha. Wow. Good luck! But what grades do you think would be acceptable. I ****ed up on maths paprr 1.

I would love to call them up and beg for a place
i got into a competitive A*AA course with AAA but there were no strict requirements whereas you two both have requirements for maths

a physics course, however, may be less competitive and therefore more lenient
Original post by HoldThisL
i got into a competitive A*AA course with AAA but there were no strict requirements whereas you two both have requirements for maths

a physics course, however, may be less competitive and therefore more lenient

oho my friend. Its super competitive at Manchester now that brian cox is a professor there.

So you think I can get A*A*B and still ask them for a place. I mean beg?
My advice would be to not loose hope because often people do better than they think they do come results day due to lower grade boundaries and UMS. However, if you don't meet your conditions then ring them up and sometimes they let you on the course anyway depending on your personal statement, interview and GCSE's, especially if there are lots of places available. Obviously this depends on what course you have chosen and how competitive it is. There's also clearing if you want to do something similar. My sister wanted to study Pharmacy at Manchester Uni and her offer was AAB, she got BBC and she was still accepted so just don't lose hope and try to do your best in your remaining exams! Good luck!
Firstly begging a university is pointless. They will have received the results and made a decision whether to accept you on lower grades or not. Ringing and try to beg doesnt work. If you end up missing your grades time to accept that and look elsewhere. Secondly most universities accept a dropped grade but having seen posts on here recently from foreign students I doubt that Manchester are likely to do that this year.
Original post by Loreto2018
My advice would be to not loose hope because often people do better than they think they do come results day due to lower grade boundaries and UMS. However, if you don't meet your conditions then ring them up and sometimes they let you on the course anyway depending on your personal statement, interview and GCSE's, especially if there are lots of places available. Obviously this depends on what course you have chosen and how competitive it is. There's also clearing if you want to do something similar. My sister wanted to study Pharmacy at Manchester Uni and her offer was AAB, she got BBC and she was still accepted so just don't lose hope and try to do your best in your remaining exams! Good luck!

pharmacy at manchester is quite competitive. More so than physics. Thanks for boosting my confidence.
Original post by swanseajack1
Firstly begging a university is pointless. They will have received the results and made a decision whether to accept you on lower grades or not. Ringing and try to beg doesnt work. If you end up missing your grades time to accept that and look elsewhere. Secondly most universities accept a dropped grade but having seen posts on here recently from foreign students I doubt that Manchester are likely to do that this year.

Expand on last sentence?
Original post by Loreto2018

Do you reckon I could get in if I get AAB but the B being in maths
haha. Wow. Good luck! But what grades do you think would be acceptable. I ****ed up on maths paprr 1.

I would love to call them up and beg for a place

Did you do edexcel? It was awful
Do you reckon I could get in if I get AAB but the B being in maths

Like i said, it depends on the competitiveness of the course and whatever the admissions tutors decide.
Some foreign students have already had their results and one in particular had very high percentages but had their offer rejected as they achieved 79% in Maths instead of the 85% required even though the average was over 90%. There was a second similar post by someone else who had the same issue.
Expand on last sentence?
Did you do edexcel? It was awful

yes. I did
Original post by swanseajack1
Some foreign students have already had their results and one in particular had very high percentages but had their offer rejected as they achieved 79% in Maths instead of the 85% required even though the average was over 90%. There was a second similar post by someone else who had the same issue.

Great
Wait!! I saw online and I am a homeschooled student who lives in an area which isnt priveleged according to their website. I deserve a contextual offer which is AAA but I got an A*A*A offer. So if I get AAA would they let me in?? Highly expecting a B in maths tbh
@Fighter365 can you reply to my post above??

@HoldThisL
@Loreto2018
@SwanseaJack1
Im in the same boat and im hoping theyll take A* for maths, A for physics and A for other (computer science)
Them asking for A*A*A is crazy tbh, they are good for physics but they arent exactly oxbridge level and it is crazy high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending