The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Is it possible to still get into UOM?

Hey,
I was wondering is it still possible to still get into UOM if im a grade less or two than what I was predicted? The course is law so it is heavily competitive and usually oversubscribed...
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,
I was wondering is it still possible to still get into UOM if im a grade less or two than what I was predicted? The course is law so it is heavily competitive and usually oversubscribed...

It's technically possible to get into any uni below their requirements but it depends on the results of other offer holders this year.

For a more competitive course like Law, and after a few wacky years of results, it's not really possible to guess how likely it is.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
thank you - I did do a few other schemes in comparison to other candidates at UOM so I am hoping that may potentially help me to keep my place? otherwise, my teachers told me sometimes students go down to the admission office and beg :frown:
Original post by Admit-One
It's technically possible to get into any uni below their requirements but it depends on the results of other offer holders this year.

For a more competitive course like Law, and after a few wacky years of results, it's not really possible to guess how likely it is.
thank you - I did do a few other schemes in comparison to other candidates at UOM so I am hoping that may potentially help me to keep my place? otherwise, my teachers told me sometimes students go down to the admission office and beg :frown:

Please don’t “beg”. Admissions staff have your results for days before you do. If they’ve considered your results and sent a rejection decision to UCAS then they can’t fit you in. Turning up in person or phoning to beg is wasting your time and theirs.

Did you attend any applicant/offer holder days? That’s often where universities will explain whether they normally have space to take any applicants with lower grades (and if they do then the things that they take into account when deciding who to accept).
If you didn’t attend or you didn’t find this out at a visit day then ring them up and speak to them about whether leniency is something they often have and if so what they consider for your subject.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Please don’t “beg”. Admissions staff have your results for days before you do. If they’ve considered your results and sent a rejection decision to UCAS then they can’t fit you in. Turning up in person or phoning to beg is wasting your time and theirs.

Did you attend any applicant/offer holder days? That’s often where universities will explain whether they normally have space to take any applicants with lower grades (and if they do then the things that they take into account when deciding who to accept).
If you didn’t attend or you didn’t find this out at a visit day then ring them up and speak to them about whether leniency is something they often have and if so what they consider for your subject.

My teachers have told me it has previously worked if they rang in the university as they assessed the space in the course etc. I am honestly not sure - on the offer holder day I couldn't attend them due to being sick however, my friend had gone and they said they only accept what the offer has been given.

This year it seems a lot of people will get high grades as a lot of people have had good and positive exams - unfortunately my paper 1 had been jeopardised due to extenuating circumstances so now im not sure whether ill get in :frown:
My teachers have told me it has previously worked if they rang in the university as they assessed the space in the course etc. I am honestly not sure - on the offer holder day I couldn't attend them due to being sick however, my friend had gone and they said they only accept what the offer has been given.

This year it seems a lot of people will get high grades as a lot of people have had good and positive exams - unfortunately my paper 1 had been jeopardised due to extenuating circumstances so now im not sure whether ill get in :frown:

If a university doesn’t show a decision on results day then it’s important to call the university. But not to beg - to find out if they need information from you to make a decision.

Teachers commonly misunderstand what that phone call is about and mislead applicants into thinking that they need to beg over the phone to try to change the decision - the person answering the phone on results day isn’t someone who has the authority to make decisions on borderline applicants. They’re often students doing summer jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending